Big 10 Tournament

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
We should be in. It's pretty plain and simple in my eyes

The rpi is ugly and the losses to Utah and Bradley could hurt. That being said, 5 rpi top 50 wins is pretty much more than all the bubble teams and having 2 of those come on the road(especially having one at Kohl) is absolutely huge and should be enough to get you guys in, imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
The rpi is ugly and the losses to Utah and Bradley could hurt. That being said, 5 rpi top 50 wins is pretty much more than all the bubble teams and having 2 of those come on the road(especially having one at Kohl) is absolutely huge and should be enough to get you guys in, imo.

Two on the road, one on a neutral court and considering the selection committee probably watched that OSU game I think even losing actually helped us.

Btw look at Wisconsin's resume from last year and tell me how it clearly trumps Illinois's this year. Less quality wins, identical 10-8 finish in the Big 10, they lost to OSU in the 4-5 game of the Big 10 tournament. They did have two less losses and no real bad losses but still. There isn't a big difference between the teams resumes.

http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?y=2009&team=Wisconsin

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Ok, Gophers. Time to beat Purdue and steal the spot away from Illinois.

As much as I don't want Minnesota to win this game whatsoever, that is a valid reason why I wouldn't be upset if Purdue loses.

I do think Gophers will upset Purdue.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Btw look at Wisconsin's resume from last year and tell me how it clearly trumps Illinois's this year. Less quality wins, identical 10-8 finish in the Big 10, they lost to OSU in the 4-5 game of the Big 10 tournament. They did have two less losses and no real bad losses but still. There isn't a big difference between the teams resumes.

http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?y=2009&team=Wisconsin

Comparing resumes from year to year is rather pointless, given how much is dependent on other bubble teams.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
Comparing resumes from year to year is rather pointless, given how much is dependent on other bubble teams.

Oh I know, and the bubble is actually worse this year than last. It is more to show how typical Illinois's resume is for bubble teams since people were bringing up the 14 losses.

Illinois has nobody to blame but themselves if they don't get in. If they had tried as hard as they did today all year, their record would be a whole heck of a lot better. When you lose 14 games, don't win 20, and lose 6 of your last 8, you can't complain if you aren't in. I'd say it's basically a coin flip if they get in, but odds become more and more grim as things are continuing to go badly among other bubble teams. Minnesota absolutely has to be in over them if they win today, and the amount of spots there are simply running out.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Wow. Purdue looks terrible right now. I mean, the Gophers are playing well, but a lot of this is Purdue's own fault.

They aren't a good team without Hummel. They will be one and done in the tourney and are probably costing themselves a few slots in seeding. There is no way I would give them a 1-3 seed if I was on the selection committee.

Lunardi will have Illinois out of the tournament by the end of this set of games unless Vanderbilt or Purdue can come back. And there is still danger later if Utah State loses, as well as if Washington wins. We better hope Illinois is a team he's wrong about like they were in 2007.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I said it last year and turned out to be wrong, but I think it's very possible that the Big 10 won't have a single team in the Sweet 16.

OSU is a really really good basketball team and will be a 1 or 2 seed. I would be shocked if they didn't make the Sweet 16. MSU always plays well in the tourney and they have the talent to make a deep run. Purdue will be out in the 1st round unless they have a really high seed. Wisconsin could easily make the Sweet 16. They are a damn good team with Leuer. Hell with how weak the teams outside of the top 10 are this year, Minny and Illinois would each be capable of making the Sweet 16 if they get in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
I said it last year and turned out to be wrong, but I think it's very possible that the Big 10 won't have a single team in the Sweet 16.

Fully agreed. Michigan State really isn't that good, and Purdue without Hummell is very beatable. The only hope the Big 10 has is Ohio State, but it depends on their bracket.

Damnit.. they reached double digits for the first half. 37-11 going into the break.

Obviously we aren't going to shoot 62% all game, and they aren't going to shoot 19%, but if we blow this, heads should roll.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Damnit.. they reached double digits for the first half. 37-11 going into the break.

Obviously we aren't going to shoot 62% all game, and they aren't going to shoot 19%, but if we blow this, heads should roll.

Moore would have to score 30 in the 2nd half for Purdue to have a chance.