Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
So I finally saw Avatar. Whoever said it was the 21st century version of Star Wars was balls on accurate.

I heard it was the 21st century Dances with Wolves, not Star Wars

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
I heard it was the 21st century Dances with Wolves, not Star Wars

Or the Tom Cruise Samurai movie. Or Pocahontas. The story line wasn't exactly original, and the dialogue wasn't exactly innovative.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Or the Tom Cruise Samurai movie. Or Pocahontas. The story line wasn't exactly original, and the dialogue wasn't exactly innovative.

My initial reaction the night I saw it was wow! But it didn't leave a lasting impression. It's something I will probably never watch again.

So imo, since both the sequel for Transformers and Iron Man bombed, which did you like better of the two?

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

or

Iron Man 2

I can't decide, probably lean towards Transformers.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 13, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
So imo, since both the sequel for Transformers and Iron Man bombed, which did you like better of the two?

or

Iron Man 2

That second Transformers movie was one of the most atrociously bad films I've ever seen. I haven't seen the new Iron Man yet, but I have a hard time believing it could possibly be that bad.

Wow, I never heard Iron Man 2 was that bad, just not as great as the original.

I was as big as a Transformers fan as you could find, but T2RotF was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The only redeemable part was the fight scenes, anything that had dialogue was completely awful

If you're making a trilogy of films, the 2nd film is pretty much the hardest because you're setting up plot points for the 3rd film, and it's just never going to live up to expectations of the 1st film.

That said, if you look at a history of film trilogy's, there have been some pretty damn good 2nd films over the years.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 13, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
If you're making a trilogy of films, the 2nd film is pretty much the hardest because you're setting up plot points for the 3rd film, and it's just never going to live up to expectations of the 1st film.

That said, if you look at a history of film trilogy's, there have been some pretty damn good 2nd films over the years.

I loved Rocky, and Rocky II is even better.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 13, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)

or

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 is a good not great movie that wasn't as good as the original. Transformers 2 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and a cinematic disaster. Except for Megan Fox looking hot there is not a single redeeming quality of that movie. The acting is awful, the comedy elements are beyond terrible, and the action is shot by a director with no talent so you see a ton of explosions but it is impossible to tell what is going on. Awful just awful.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)

I think Godfather part II, Empire Strikes Back, and the LOTR Two Towers were all better than the first installments — all of which were outstanding in their own right.

X2>X1, Spiderman 2 > Spiderman 1.

IMO, in some of these superhero movies, the sequel is actually set up to be better, because you don't need to spend 45 minutes introducing the character, you can assume the character exists and start off with a plot line.

One of the complaints about Iron man2(have not yet seen it) seems to be a lot of dithering at the beginning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)

IMO, in some of these superhero movies, the sequel is actually set up to be better, because you don't need to spend 45 minutes introducing the character, you can assume the character exists and start off with a plot line.

One of the complaints about Iron man2(have not yet seen it) seems to be a lot of dithering at the beginning.

The reviewer on NPR summed up the plot line as a dispute over patent claims. :lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I think Godfather part II, Empire Strikes Back, and the LOTR Two Towers were all better than the first installments — all of which were outstanding in their own right.

Damn, you beat me to those two. And in those two cases, they are not only better than the first, but the best of the entire series.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)

Ah, another one that is the best of the series by far. Alfred Molina was perfectly cast for Dr. Octopus. I love it when they find an actor who was seemingly born to play a certain role. It has been happening quite a lot in the superhero genre recently.

Watched a movie that I vaguely remember watching when I was a kid called 'The Final Countdown' starring Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen about an aircraft carrier that get sent back through time to the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was a very interesting premise but I think it could have gone farther on the struggle in the movie of whether they should intervene in the attack that they know will happen or let history run its course. Overall though I liked it.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Watched a movie that I vaguely remember watching when I was a kid called 'The Final Countdown' starring Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen about an aircraft carrier that get sent back through time to the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was a very interesting premise but I think it could have gone farther on the struggle in the movie of whether they should intervene in the attack that they know will happen or let history run its course. Overall though I liked it.

I loved that movie.

Letters from Juliet

Robin Hood

Prince of Persia

Which movie, if any, will get your movie-going dollars in the weeks ahead?

At first I thought I would like Crowe in Robin Hood, but they're trying to go all dark, like Daniel Craig Bond and Matt Damon Bourne, and it's getting tiresome with all these reboot copycats, maybe it started with Batman Begins.

So the real question will be which is the biggest box office disaster, the Costner or Crowe version?

Women will want to drag you to the chick flick, of course. It's bad enough with 2-3 releases of Nicholas Sparks movies every year. Then there's EAT LOVE PRAY coming out w/ Julia Roberts. BE VERY AFRAID of that one.

I don't really play video games, but some of the reviews I've read of "PERSIA" have been pretty good. Gemma Atherton's hot, so I'll definitely check it out, even if not a big Gyllenhaal fan (like his sister more, especially CRAZY HEART).

Has anyone seen THE MESSENGER yet? Worth checking out?

If someone has seen BABIES, I hope they don't admit it here....

And remember the "it's hilarious!" comment about IT'S COMPLICATED. Whoever wrote that, they should be b****-slapped by Flavour Flav and Willie Harris. Joking. Well, sort of.

Edited by caulfield12