Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
Have any of you guys ever seen the movie Convoy? I'm most of you are too young (it's from 1978), but it was on last night and I watched it at work. First time I've seen it in years.

They just don't make movies like that anymore...:)

No they don't. . . luckily. Although Ernest Borgnine is always quality entertainment!

The film was based on the novelty song of the same name that came out a couple of years before. . . "We got a great big Convoy rockin' through the night — We got a great big Convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight!"

As much as anythingm that song kicked off the big C.B. craze of the mid 1970s that had all sorts of dorks like my dad spending money on C.B. radios and antennas to put in their 1972 Chevy Impalas so they could play trucker on family vacation. :lolhitting

Amazingly, Sam Peckinpah directed the film, though he was supposedly totally boozed and coked up at the time. More surprisingly (and sadly), I think the film was the highest grossing picture of his career.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
No they don't. . . luckily. Although Ernest Borgnine is always quality entertainment!

The film was based on the novelty song of the same name that came out a couple of years before. . . "We got a great big Convoy rockin' through the night — We got a great big Convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight!"

As much as anythingm that song kicked off the big C.B. craze of the mid 1970s that had all sorts of dorks like my dad spending money on C.B. radios and antennas to put in their 1972 Chevy Impalas so they could play trucker on family vacation. :lolhitting

Amazingly, Sam Peckinpah directed the film, though he was supposedly totally boozed and coked up at the time. More surprisingly (and sadly), I think the film was the highest grossing picture of his career.

Hah, we were listening to the song and singing along here in my office.

Breaker breaker one-niner, this here's the Rubber Duck...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Oh man. Took my daughter to see the new Twilight film last night. What a melodramatic, poorly acted, piece of crap.

What exactly were you expecting?

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
men who stare at goats sucked, i had high expectations after seeing burn after reading (one of the best ive seen in the passed few years) just rented the good sheperd looks pretty cool.

Best line in Burn After Reading is in the first scene of the movie with Malkovich.

Inception down to 85% on RT still great but doesn't look like it will be universally loved. Hopefully this gets more love from the general public than Dark City which was one of the movies that inspired Nolan to make Inception and is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies ever made. It almost certainly will because Nolan is directing but I expect that with how high concept the movie supposedly is that there will be a lot of people who hate it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Inception down to 85% on RT still great but doesn't look like it will be universally loved. Hopefully this gets more love from the general public than Dark City which was one of the movies that inspired Nolan to make Inception and is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies ever made. It almost certainly will because Nolan is directing but I expect that with how high concept the movie supposedly is that there will be a lot of people who hate it.

Dark City immediately came to mind when I saw the first trailer for Inception. Great film, I agree.

I actually watched Bull Durham for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it, but a lot of people list it as their #1 baseball (or even sports) movie of all time, and I just don't agree with that. Although, I do like how they got into the superstitious aspect of the game.

Would echo the sentiments about INCEPTION.

Saw it here in Thailand already, will go for 2nd time tonight to catch up on a few plot points I missed or overlooked on first viewing.

One of the main criticisms, perhaps, is that the film doesn't change your life, it doesn't stay with you or linger on....but I prefer to think that's kind of the point, that dreams are the same way, they're ephemeral and don't often stick in your subconscious.

People look for deeper philosophical meaning in movies like 2001 or Blade Runner or Brazil or what have you...I really enjoyed it, yes, sometimes Leo DiCaprio feels like he's playing the same role over and over again (after Shutter Island), but this was an excellent film. I'm not even a huge film of the French actress, M. Cotillard or whatever her name is (Mal, which means evil in Spanish) in real life, but she was good in this one.

It was nice to see Tom Berenger again, he was something of a big thing in the 80's and kind of disappeared. Obviously Nolan likes to work with Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy...Juno (Ellen Page) added a female touch, and Joseph Gordon Levitt has been one of my favorites since 28 Days of Summer. They even had the Indian scientist from 2012 as part of the team, interesting cast that worked together well. Eames (Tom Hardy) was my favorite character, THE FORGER, he's something of a cross between Daniel Craig, Sean Bean and Jason Statham.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
That's the exact opposite of what I thought. I liked The Men Who Stare at Goats, while I thought Burn After Reading was pretty blah and certainly wasn't funny.

I'm with you. Burn after Reading was awful. Men Who Stare at Goats was pretty entertaining for the most part.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Would echo the sentiments about INCEPTION.

Saw it here in Thailand already, will go for 2nd time tonight to catch up on a few plot points I missed or overlooked on first viewing.

One of the main criticisms, perhaps, is that the film doesn't change your life, it doesn't stay with you or linger on....but I prefer to think that's kind of the point, that dreams are the same way, they're ephemeral and don't often stick in your subconscious.

People look for deeper philosophical meaning in movies like 2001 or Blade Runner or Brazil or what have you...I really enjoyed it, yes, sometimes Leo DiCaprio feels like he's playing the same role over and over again (after Shutter Island), but this was an excellent film. I'm not even a huge film of the French actress, M. Cotillard or whatever her name is (Mal, which means evil in Spanish) in real life, but she was good in this one.

It was nice to see Tom Berenger again, he was something of a big thing in the 80's and kind of disappeared. Obviously Nolan likes to work with Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy...Juno (Ellen Page) added a female touch, and Joseph Gordon Levitt has been one of my favorites since 28 Days of Summer. They even had the Indian scientist from 2012 as part of the team, interesting cast that worked together well. Eames (Tom Hardy) was my favorite character, THE FORGER, he's something of a cross between Daniel Craig, Sean Bean and Jason Statham.

awesome....about to get something to eat with some friends, then heading to the movie.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
Saw The Ice Harvest last night. I really liked it. Not sure why, but I like Oliver Platt. Combining him with Billy Bob Thornton, Mike Starr, and Randy Quiad really covered up my dislike for John Cusack.

Oliver Platt always entertains me. An under-rated favorite of mine.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Oliver Platt always entertains me. An under-rated favorite of mine.

Give it a rest! We all know READY TO RUMBLE is your favorite movie.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Give it a rest! We all know READY TO RUMBLE is your favorite movie.

:lolhitting

I actually really like Lake Placid. It's one of those movies that knows it's bad and has fun with it. It has a great cast, too, with Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, Betty White, Bill Pullman (who I like, but feel like I should hate), and that hot deputy with the nice rack.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
:lolhitting

I actually really like Lake Placid. It's one of those movies that knows it's bad and has fun with it. It has a great cast, too, with Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, Betty White, Bill Pullman (who I like, but feel like I should hate), and that hot deputy with the nice rack.

Bill Pullman is awesome. Best president in movie history.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Bill Pullman is awesome. Best president in movie history.

If you don't get shivers from this, then you're not human:

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
If you don't get shivers from this, then you're not human:

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

38% OF PEOPLE WON'T SHARE THIS.

LET'S SEE HOW MANY POST THIS TO THEIR FACEBOOK STATUS!11!!