Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
I thought it was bad and it wasn't even that it was predictable because most movies are. The characters were poorly written (typical Cameron with the most cliche villain imaginable), the dialogue was cheesy, and the love story was laughable. Not to mention the fact that humans in the movie are capable of traveling across a galaxy, and create the Avatars but they lose to a bunch of natives with bows and arrows (which by the way couldn't pierce the windows when they first encounter the gunships but could later in the movie)? GTFO. And let us also not forget that despite the fact that they can cross a galaxy with ships they can't launch a missile but instead have to fly an incredibly slow flying plane to drop explosives, just absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed. It surpassed Citizen Kane as the most overhyped movie I've ever seen in my life.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
I thought it was bad and it wasn't even that it was predictable because most movies are. The characters were poorly written (typical Cameron with the most cliche villain imaginable), the dialogue was cheesy, and the love story was laughable. Not to mention the fact that humans in the movie are capable of traveling across a galaxy, and create the Avatars but they lose to a bunch of natives with bows and arrows (which by the way couldn't pierce the windows when they first encounter the gunships but could later in the movie)? GTFO. And let us also not forget that despite the fact that they can cross a galaxy with ships they can't launch a missile but instead have to fly an incredibly slow flying plane to drop explosives, just absolutely ridiculous.

I saw the movie 30 years ago, except then it was called Star Wars.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
It was pretty good. I wished I had seen it in 3D

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
I haven't seen one yet. I am against them for the most part too as I have always preferred an interesting plot to special effects

Eh?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
No other science fiction movie may ever be made, because all sci-fi alien universe movies were once called Star Wars.

i dont really see the star wars comparison either in the storyline, but it is undeniably Dances With Wolves/Pocahontas in space.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
i dont really see the star wars comparison either in the storyline, but it is undeniably Dances With Wolves/Pocahontas in space.

But really, aren't we to the point now that pretty much every plot is just a twist or tweak of something that has been done before?

EW.com - Christopher Nolan on his 'last' Batman movie and the 'Spinning Top'...

Christian Bale recently disclosed that he’s approaching his third Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises, as if it will be his last time playing the caped crusader on the big screen — and the film’s director, Christopher Nolan, is taking the same view. In an interview with EW, Nolan called The Dark Knight Rises “the last chapter of our Batman saga.”
Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
But really, aren't we to the point now that pretty much every plot is just a twist or tweak of something that has been done before?

It is, but there is cleverly disguising a plot within a movie, and then there is an outright ripoff with no intent to hide it. There are original movies still being made, if Cameron is such an amazing director like I am told everytime he is mentioned, you would think that he could of twisted or tweaked this plot a little bit better so internet people couldnt take the synopsis of the Disney Pocahontas movie and crudely scratch out characters names and locations names and replace them with Avatar places and characters, and have it make perfect sense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 06:35 AM)
It is, but there is cleverly disguising a plot within a movie, and then there is an outright ripoff with no intent to hide it. There are original movies still being made, if Cameron is such an amazing director like I am told everytime he is mentioned, you would think that he could of twisted or tweaked this plot a little bit better so internet people couldnt take the synopsis of the Disney Pocahontas movie and crudely scratch out characters names and locations names and replace them with Avatar places and characters, and have it make perfect sense.

Yeah, I guess so...but that's part of Cameron's greed...I don't think he cares much about artistic integrity as much as he does about $.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
Yeah, I guess so...but that's part of Cameron's greed...I don't think he cares much about artistic integrity as much as he does about $.

i have no argument with that

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Watched Tapped over the weekend. Eye opening documentary about bottled water.

Watched something similar, Blue Gold. It was meh and kinda boring overall, but made good points about draining lakes and aquifers and shipping the water away to other regions. It is breaking the natural water cycles.

I will very rarely get a bottle of water at a gas station instead of a pop or something on a road trip, but I don't get the people with three or four 24-packs of bottled water at the grocery store. It's just ridiculously more expensive, the rest of the issues aside.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Watched something similar, Blue Gold. It was meh and kinda boring overall, but made good points about draining lakes and aquifers and shipping the water away to other regions. It is breaking the natural water cycles.

I will very rarely get a bottle of water at a gas station instead of a pop or something on a road trip, but I don't get the people with three or four 24-packs of bottled water at the grocery store. It's just ridiculously more expensive, the rest of the issues aside.

In Tapped they went over in detail how highly regulated actual tap water is, literally getting tested dozens of times per day, whereas there are almost no regulations for bottled water. Apparently bottled water is only tested if it's acquired in one state and sold in another. They mentioned that approximately 70% of bottled water is manufactured and sold within the same state so most of it doesn't get tested. They pulled a bunch of bottles right off the stores shelves, using various brands, and had them independently tested at 2 different labs and found all kinds of nasty things in them such as traces of benzene.

The movie delved into lots of other topics such as the BPA in the bottles used.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)

More expensive than what?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
More expensive than what?

Tap water is something like $0.0005 per liter. Bottled water is closer to $.50 per liter, and is often the same or worse quality. Based on this chart, a PUR filter is about $.25 per gallon, maybe $.12 per liter.

I really like Brita's fill station product for this reason. Provides the convienence of bottled water without the massive waste, cost and damage.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
The major bottled water companies, Aquafina, Dasani, and Nestle just use the same filtered water that they make their pop with (Coke, Pepsi, Schwepps).

Which is also originally just tap water anyway.

The island of Fiji has had itself pretty much destroyed by the water company there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Which is also originally just tap water anyway.

The island of Fiji has had itself pretty much destroyed by the water company there.

Does this apply to the 5-gallon bottled water services too, or is that tap water that is treated?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
Does this apply to the 5-gallon bottled water services too, or is that tap water that is treated?

Same basic mixture. Somewhere around 1/2 the companies that drive those big things up to your building just are bringing filtered tap water. The remainder are bringing some variety of bottled water, likely actually bottled at a spring source, but not tested or necessarily meeting drinking water standards.

If anyone ever wants to panic about bottled water, drive 395 up Owens Valley, CA. Right on the side of Owens dry lake bed, which is for all practical purposes an environmental disaster area, you'll hit the "Crystal Geyser" bottling plant.