Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Now non-embedded for your safety. But it would've been no problem unless you starting JOing to it in your cubicle. :)

this is soxtalk. We make no guarantees that it wouldnt happen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL.

I'm going to watch Black Swan this morning on the computer, although the scenes with Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore in CHLOE were pretty hot too...not quite like Naomi Watts and Laura Harring in Mulholland Drive. That's still the best all-time "mainstream" girl-girl make out, although Neve Campbell-Denise Richards probably rates as the most famous in Wild Things. Should we have a poll? Joking...I'm trying to think of any other possible contenders.

Maybe it's because I just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall for the first time, but Mila Kunis is one of those actresses that just seem like they would actually be really cool and not all diva-ish and b****y in real life. I know one thing, she's super short...plus I have a weak spot for the Russian/Ukrainian look.

Or Demi Moore in Striptease? Was there a scene like that with Gina Gerson? Can't remember anymore.

SOLITARY MAN--Michael Douglas, another great movie, kind of startling to see Jesse Eisenberg as an introverted geek NOT named Mark Zuckerberg in this one

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Or Demi Moore in Striptease? Was there a scene like that with Gina Gerson? Can't remember anymore.

Are you possibly thinking of Jessie from 'Saved by the Bell' in Showgirls?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2303525:date=Dec 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM:name=caulfield12)-->
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
<!--quotec-->Or Demi Moore in Striptease? Was there a scene like that with Gina Gerson? Can't remember anymore.

Are you possibly thinking of Jessie from 'Saved by the Bell' in Showgirls?

dont remember anything like that in striptease

and I think the Gina Gershon moment was with Jennifer Tilly in another movie called Bound

Black Swan....really called to mind Requiem for a Dream and Pi, where someone is straddling the boundaries between greatness and insanity, a wonderful picture that was beautiful to watch, Natalie Portman definitely deserves all the praise she's getting for this role.

I also thought Barbara Hershey in the "Mommie Dearest" role brought a lot to her role, you could definitely understand having a mother living out her dreams through her child, the pressure to be the prima ballerina and stay on top, the juxtaposition of the Winona Ryder character with Lilly rising from seemingly out of nowhere to challenge her after Nina put years into the company.

I'm not a huge ballet fan, or opera for that matter, it's something I've learned to appreciate rather than love innately, but Aronofsky made ballet interesting, which isn't easy to do, to take a classical ballet and make it accessible from a "behind the scenes POV" to a mainstream audience.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
I got to see Little Fockers for free, for the love of god, do not see that movie.

I figured it would be brutal but holy crap the early returns have it on pace for a Razzie nom. It's at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)
I figured it would be brutal but holy crap the early returns have it on pace for a Razzie nom. It's at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

What do you think of interstate 60: episodes of the road?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
What do you think of interstate 60: episodes of the road?

I'd never heard of it until just now. Looks interesting with a bizarre cast, I'm a HUGE Gary Oldman fan and yet I don't even remember seeing that movie on his IMDB filmography. The cover art is terrible, makes it look like a lame ass road comedy but from the description this does not appear to be the case. Funny that James Marsden starred in it, he was also in Sex Drive which IMO is a lame ass road comedy.

Have you seen this movie?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
I'd never heard of it until just now. Looks interesting with a bizarre cast, I'm a HUGE Gary Oldman fan and yet I don't even remember seeing that movie on his IMDB filmography. The cover art is terrible, makes it look like a lame ass road comedy but from the description this does not appear to be the case. Funny that James Marsden starred in it, he was also in Sex Drive which IMO is a lame ass road comedy.

Have you seen this movie?

Yes, and it's extremely entertaining, as far as i'm concerned. You won't be able to get enough of oldman. This is a whole different world in comparison to why you have grown to like him. He is as close to rosencrantz in this film as i have ever seen out of him... yet so far away still. Simply put, he puts a smile on my face whenever he is on the screen. Give it a shot... unless you want to miss out on something every ''huge'' oldman fan should see. Seriously, i want feedback.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Yes, and it's extremely entertaining, as far as i'm concerned. You won't be able to get enough of oldman. This is a whole different world in comparison to why you have grown to like him. He is as close to rosencrantz in this film as i have ever seen out of him... yet so far away still. Simply put, he puts a smile on my face whenever he is on the screen. Give it a shot... unless you want to miss out on something every ''huge'' oldman fan should see. Seriously, i want feedback.

What's your favorite Oldman role?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
Why Jonah Hex?

That movie's supposed to be one of the worst of the year.

Just for Megan Fox?

Scott Pilgrim's a bit like a tamer version of Kick-Ass...I like both, about equally, although Pilgrim is definitely more creative/imaginative/humorous.

You know, outside of the jumpy pacing of the movie, it wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't really that good either though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
I'll add Kick Ass to the list the others have put out there. Very fun movie.

Spy Game is incredibly underrated. Redford is great in it, and Brad Pitt was just cool, before he became a big politico because of Angie. One of my favorite movies of all time. Tell me it won't make you want to get that little Porsche Redford drives in it.

I know I will watch Black Swan again....not just for the two "bed" scenes (lol) but because I think I must have missed out on a lot of "was it real or wasn't it?" that will make complete sense the 2nd time around knowing where the ending is going from the beginning.

It's not like Inception or Memento, but it is the type of movie you could watch many times over and over in future years, and not simply because Natalie Portman is beautiful in it (or in anything she does for that matter).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
What's your favorite Oldman role?

When he portrays real life people i tend to find him at his best in a way... up to this point oldman has portrayed joe orton, lee harvey oswald, sid vicious, ludwig van beethoven. Beethoven being his finest in my opinion. It's one thing to portray a random fictional character, but it's something entirely else to become one with who you are imitating. Nevertheless, that is another subject in it's own right.

Some of his non biopics that i am fond of would be the following...

Jackie flannery... state of grace.

Stansfield in léon.

Drexl spivey... true romance, only one scene, yet memorable.

Mason verger... hannibal

Rosencrantz & guildenstern are dead... i seriously love that opening scene kalapse.

Interstate 60 as i just stated earlier.

Beat the devil... and he just so happens to be the devil. Beat the devil is just a short for those who care. Though talk about a weird little cast?

===============================================================================

Dracula as dracula... and he/the movie have been bagged on for a reason beyond me. Apparently no one remembers any

of the hammer film productions dracula films. Even the great christopher lee had some less than memorable appearances as dracula. Trust me, this is me being nice. If i had to put in order the best portrayals of dracula it would be lugosi's 1931 dracula, christopher lee's 1958 horror of dracula, and then oldman's 1992 dracula.

The funny thing is though, wizard magazine does not agree. They believe the best depiction is from the monster squad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093560/trivia?tr0965917

==============================================================================

Dislike? I hate his zorg. Just look at the silly bastard.

I feel like caulfield, no real tangents, but i just feel dirty for some reason.

YES! Beat the Devil, god I loved that. James Brown was out of his mind and Gary Oldamn as the wild, wheel-chaired Satan. What is there not to love?

I'd also add Romeo is Bleeding, it's not a very good movie but Oldman is so f***ing good as the piece a of s*** cop. The man has such incredible range and has been in the business for so damn long it's hard to find much of anything to dislike. Prick up Your Ears is another very good role and movie for that matter that he did early in his career along side Alfred Molina, I recommend that one.

And yes, Rosencrantz and Gildenstern is probably my favorite role of his as it's one of my all time favorite movies largely because of his part and the incredible plot device that is the gold coin. This kind of goes hand and hand with State of Grace in a way: he plays the dimwit well.

I like to pretend The Fifth Element never happened.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
YES! Beat the Devil, god I loved that. James Brown was out of his mind and Gary Oldamn as the wild, wheel-chaired Satan. What is there not to love?

I'd also add Romeo is Bleeding, it's not a very good movie but Oldman is so f***ing good as the piece a of s*** cop. The man has such incredible range and has been in the business for so damn long it's hard to find much of anything to dislike. Prick up Your Ears is another very good role and movie for that matter that he did early in his career along side Alfred Molina, I recommend that one.

And yes, Rosencrantz and Gildenstern is probably my favorite role of his as it's one of my all time favorite movies largely because of his part and the incredible plot device that is the gold coin. This kind of goes hand and hand with State of Grace in a way: he plays the dimwit well.

I like to pretend The Fifth Element never happened.

The Fifth Element was, by the very words of its creator and director, a 12-year-old boy scifi-action extravaganza. That's what it was meant to be - silly beyond belief, but oh so cool looking (and sounding). I think that was nicely achieved.

Oldman is interesting to me in that he seems at his best when he plays the most subdued characters (opposite of Zorg). He's got this intensity that just radiates off of him, and its much more involving to see him where its potential energy, not explosions of it. So he plays these over the top roles in Fifth Element, Harry Potter, etc., where he just seems almost awkward. Like a dark side Jim Carrey, when he actually lets loose he has so much energy that it overwhelms the scene. That level of energy needs to be kept in reserve most of the time for it to be effective (and to further to analogy, Carrey's best role IMO was in Truman Show, where he was usually not as expressive as his usual crap).

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:18 AM)
Going to see "True Grit" today with pops. Loved the original but have never read the book. All the reviews say it is better than the Wayne version so I am excited.

Better than the original? That happens so very rarely. I planned to see it anyway, since I love Coen Brothers movies (usually) and I'm curious about them doing a remake... but if there are people saying its better than the original, well, I'll believe that when I see it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
Here's my list, in order, in case anyone gives a crap:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (loved it)

Dirty Harry

The Fighter (fantastic)

Top Gun

Jonah Hex

Caddyshack

What does the list entail? Movies you've watched over winter break so far? Is this a ranking of them or just a list?

How did you like Caddyshack? That's one of the funniest movies ever in my book.