Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
I've yet to be disappointed by Aranofsky.

Requiem for a Dream was awful.

The collective parts were good, but the movie was just terrible.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Tropic Thunder was one of the best comedies ever. Granted, it may not have been because of Jack Black, but he was still in it.

I think I chuckled about two times during the span of the film. Terrible disappointment since I had such high expectations.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)

I respect it from a technical standpoint, but I never ever want to see it again.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Tropic Thunder was one of the best comedies ever. Granted, it may not have been because of Jack Black, but he was still in it.

I thought Tropic Thunder was awful. I didn't know anyone actually liked it.

Saw Tron...

It was about like what the rating at rotten tomatoes is....almost can't give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, in between. I would say, it was worth my time to watch probably. In some ways, the special effects were a little disappointing, although I watched on PC and not in theatre, so that makes a big difference. There were some really cool action sequences and then the move kind of got bogged down in the middle with too much philosophy.

I liked Olivia Wilde's character and her futuristic costumes at least. She was more than just eye candy, she was an actual interesting feminine role who was in some ways the centerpiece of the story intellectually and emotionally.

Michael Sheen was also excellent.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Tropic Thunder was an awesome, awesome movie. Robert Downey Jr is great.

I like Academy/Sundance/Cannes movies as much as the next guy, but I really enjoyed this film (like the lines about playing "full retard" I thought that was clever in an "insidery Hollywood" way in that entertainment insiders had to love that movie, like THE PLAYER)...I think there's a certain type of movie that it's popular to dismiss and then people join the bandwagon for or against it based on what critics say.

With that movie, it was 'cool' again to appreciate Tom Cruise for making fun of himself, I think it went at least halfway to him rehabilitating his image somewhat in the industry...not sure about most Americans though.

No matter what over the top character he plays, he can never beat Frank TJ Mackey from Magnolia.

Jay Baruchel is annoying...but usually I find something enjoyable or interesting about any Downey Jr. performance, even though I wouldn't say he's one of my all-time favorites, I guess I appreciate his talent/ability to push the boundaries and limits, both personally and professionally. Even if you don't like him, he's (so far) done a great job of coming back from near death literally and career-wise. Like Pirates with Depp, Iron Man put him on the map for a lot of movie-going fans who weren't so familiar with his entire body of work.

For another example, HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. I really enjoyed that too, and yet most "intellectual" critics rejected it for obvious reasons.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)

Agreed. That's actually my favorite role of Jack Black's as well. Comedies are so damn subjective, I mean I personally despise The Other Guys, I couldn't stomach that dreck but it's pretty well thought of by the masses. It's very rare that you find a comedy that's well received by all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Saw Tron...

It was about like what the rating at rotten tomatoes is....almost can't give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, in between. I would say, it was worth my time to watch probably. In some ways, the special effects were a little disappointing, although I watched on PC and not in theatre, so that makes a big difference. There were some really cool action sequences and then the move kind of got bogged down in the middle with too much philosophy.

I liked Olivia Wilde's character and her futuristic costumes at least. She was more than just eye candy, she was an actual interesting feminine role who was in some ways the centerpiece of the story intellectually and emotionally.

Michael Sheen was also excellent.

What did you think about the soundtrack?

Tron soundtrack?

I laughed when I heard Journey's "Separate Hearts", thinking back to 2005 again. Actually of all the Journey songs, that's one of the few I actually sort of liked...fast beat, kind of a driving rhythm comparing to their other ballady stuff. More like a STYX song, haha.

The other song I remember vividly was Eurythmics...since it was supposed to evoke 1982, those were 2 good choices.

I enjoy electronic/techno music, and there were some interesting choices interspersed.

Actually, Social Network might have the best soundtrack to fit the film...the Trent Reznor project he worked on for quite some time to get it exactly right.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Tron soundtrack?

I laughed when I heard Journey's "Separate Hearts", thinking back to 2005 again. Actually of all the Journey songs, that's one of the few I actually sort of liked...fast beat, kind of a driving rhythm comparing to their other ballady stuff. More like a STYX song, haha.

The other song I remember vividly was Eurythmics...since it was supposed to evoke 1982, those were 2 good choices.

I enjoy electronic/techno music, and there were some interesting choices interspersed.

Actually, Social Network might have the best soundtrack to fit the film...the Trent Reznor project he worked on for quite some time to get it exactly right.

Daft Punk did the soundtrack, that is probably why you were asked.

Personally, I am not going to judge Tron after watching it on my PC, I want the full IMAX 3D experience before I say a word about it. However my buddy, who is on my blacklist at the moment for going to see it without me, told me it is awesome and he was a big fan of the original like me

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I like Academy/Sundance/Cannes movies as much as the next guy, but I really enjoyed this film (like the lines about playing "full retard" I thought that was clever in an "insidery Hollywood" way in that entertainment insiders had to love that movie, like THE PLAYER)...I think there's a certain type of movie that it's popular to dismiss and then people join the bandwagon for or against it based on what critics say.

With that movie, it was 'cool' again to appreciate Tom Cruise for making fun of himself, I think it went at least halfway to him rehabilitating his image somewhat in the industry...not sure about most Americans though.

No matter what over the top character he plays, he can never beat Frank TJ Mackey from Magnolia.

Jay Baruchel is annoying...but usually I find something enjoyable or interesting about any Downey Jr. performance, even though I wouldn't say he's one of my all-time favorites, I guess I appreciate his talent/ability to push the boundaries and limits, both personally and professionally. Even if you don't like him, he's (so far) done a great job of coming back from near death literally and career-wise. Like Pirates with Depp, Iron Man put him on the map for a lot of movie-going fans who weren't so familiar with his entire body of work.

For another example, HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. I really enjoyed that too, and yet most "intellectual" critics rejected it for obvious reasons.

I loved Hot tube time machine but hated Tropic Thunder. Tom Cruise was damn funny though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
Daft Punk did the soundtrack, that is probably why you were asked.

Personally, I am not going to judge Tron after watching it on my PC, I want the full IMAX 3D experience before I say a word about it. However my buddy, who is on my blacklist at the moment for going to see it without me, told me it is awesome and he was a big fan of the original like me

I'm also not sure it was the wisest idea to have Jeff Bridges do kind of a spin off of the Dude character from Big Lebowski...I guess it seems to fit him though, and gave it a bit more personality than playing it straight.

As an ultimate frisbee fan, anything that boosts the popularity of frisbee, discs or Aerobies is okay with me. And I'm sure Ducati must have spent some big-time coin using it as a marketing tool. Made me almost want to go out and buy a motorcycle, that and the new Wall Street movie. They had another vehicle whic evoked a simpler version of Batman's Tumbler that will be popular the kids too I think.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)

*blank stare* I'm far from a movie snob, but....

Anywho, True Grit was excellent.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
*blank stare* I'm far from a movie snob, but....

Anywho, True Grit was excellent.

The problem with Requiem for a Dream was that all it did was make you feel really, really terrible about yourself and humanity. It was an extremely powerful movie, and again, the collective parts were good (cinematography, music, acting -- for the most part), but I found the movie as a whole to just be an exercise of how terrible Arnofsky could make you feel, and the moral that I got out of it was incredibly dull. Just because you felt something after you saw the movie doesn't mean it was a good film.

Tropic Thunder was just very entertaining. It was a self-aware comedy that did a good job of both making fun of itself and the industry. I don't see what's wrong with enjoying that type of movie.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
It's funny because I f***ing hated Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, he was funny for a few minutes but after that it was just way too much. I'm definitely in the minority on that one.

A complete aside, but guess who's finally taking your advice?