Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
I'm also not sure it was the wisest idea to have Jeff Bridges do kind of a spin off of the Dude character from Big Lebowski...I guess it seems to fit him though, and gave it a bit more personality than playing it straight.

As an ultimate frisbee fan, anything that boosts the popularity of frisbee, discs or Aerobies is okay with me. And I'm sure Ducati must have spent some big-time coin using it as a marketing tool. Made me almost want to go out and buy a motorcycle, that and the new Wall Street movie. They had another vehicle whic evoked a simpler version of Batman's Tumbler that will be popular the kids too I think.

His character was actually a lot like that in the first Tron film which came out well before Big Lebowski. A kind of goofy, off the wall surfer dude/programmer type.

I just watched the first True Grit and am hard-pressed to see how John Wayne won the Oscar. I think it was more of one of those "lifetime" accumulation things, where he won a single Oscar based on his entire body of work...and he also was recovering from cancer at that time.

You can see how they chose Damon (Glenn Campbell in first film) and Bridges, though. Great fits. It took me a couple of minutes to recognize Robert Duvall as one of the main outlaws/villains in the first version...he's had a long body of work all the way back to To Kill a Mockingbird (boo radley).

Very disappointing Christmas for movies. Gulliver's Travels, Tron, How Do You Know?(R. Witherspoon/James Brooks), Chronicles of Narnia and the new Fockers movie have all been ravaged and savaged by critics.

There's still The Fighter, The Black Swan, 127 Hours, True Grit, The King's Speech and looking forward to Blue Valentine and Somewhere by Sofia Coppola about Chateau Marmont and Hollywood dissolution...although not a big Stephen Dorff fan, I do like her style.

All Good Things....forgot how pretty Kirsten Dunst can be, and Ryan Gosling continue to stretch his versatility as an actor...one of those amazing true-life stories that somehow seem stranger than fiction, and Frank Langella was great as always

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
Watched Book of Eli last night. I'd give it a B minus. Pretty entertaining film and well done for the most part.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
I thought the ending was kind of bs, but Denzel is great in everything he does.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
The ending ruined the whole movie for me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
As far as THE BOOK OF ELI goes, I have seen, I think, probably 90-95% of Denzel Washington's movies since his career began...one of the best actors of his generation, since he was on a tv show called St. Elsewhere. Owen Gleiberman from EW.com had this as the worst movie of the year, and it actually kept my interest for most of the time. I already knew the "twist" going in as well (not unlike 127 Hours, if you can even call it a twist)...it was very similar in feeling to THE ROAD, both of them were watchable but not anything I would care to see again for the rest of my life.

Watched Book of Eli today, and I actually loved the ending. Denzel, Mila Kunis, and Gary Oldman made it a must watch for me in the first place. The movie was entertaining, and enough to hold my interest, but it really didn't leave a lasting impression. It did make me think, which works for me.

Saw Tron. Keep in mind that I'm old enough I saw the original in the theater.

This movie is really easy to break down into good and bad, because there was no in-between...

GOOD: Visuals, set pieces, etc., all excellent. Killer sountrack too.

BAD: Writing, acting, dialogue, and any attempt to add anything new to the franchise whatsoever.

I'd give it a C-. Not a horrible movie, it was fun to watch. But nothing I'd spend good money on again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
Saw Tron. Keep in mind that I'm old enough I saw the original in the theater.

This movie is really easy to break down into good and bad, because there was no in-between...

GOOD: Visuals, set pieces, etc., all excellent. Killer sountrack too.

BAD: Writing, acting, dialogue, and any attempt to add anything new to the franchise whatsoever.

I'd give it a C-. Not a horrible movie, it was fun to watch. But nothing I'd spend good money on again.

And what was with the CGI circa 2003? The CGI Jeff Bridges was so awful. At the very least they shouldn't have used it in the real world scene in the beginning of the film.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
And what was with the CGI circa 2003? The CGI Jeff Bridges was so awful. At the very least they shouldn't have used it in the real world scene in the beginning of the film.

It only bothered me in that real-world scene. The rest of it, the fact that it was CGI was reasonable to the "plot".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
It only bothered me in that real-world scene. The rest of it, the fact that it was CGI was reasonable to the "plot".

I dunno. All of the other programs on the grid were real actors. And I've seen much better CGI in other films with regards to human faces.

For those with younger kids, I took my kids to see Tangled on Christmas Eve. They loved it, and I was actually entertained. We saw it in 3-D, and I would say it was worth it, but I know others who took in the 2-D and said it was good, too.

I am probably done seeing movies this year so let me scrape together a top 5.

5. 127 Hours

4. Scott Pilgrim vs The World

3. The Social Network

2. True Grit

1. The Town

This will probably change the more I think about it. Also liked 'Buried'. Hard to remember movies I saw the first 5 months of the year.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I am probably done seeing movies this year so let me scrape together a top 5.

5. 127 Days

4. Scott Pilgrim vs The World

3. The Social Network

2. True Grit

1. The Town

This will probably change the more I think about it. Also liked 'Buried'. Hard to remember movies I saw the first 5 months of the year.

Hmm, my friend went and saw the movie 127 Hours -- I'm going to tell him he got gypped out of around 122 days.

:D

Obviously I saw it in the theaters, but I waited to watch Inception again until receiving the BluRay for Christmas... it might be even better the 2nd time you watch it since you can see the story pulling together while knowing the ending and how things play out.

What a fantastic movie.