knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
500 days of summer was fantastic, my type of flick.

Very enjoyable movie.

Watched Up in the Air last weekend. Pretty good film, though it may have been a little over-praised.

Watched Zombieland again this weekend. What an awesome movie.

Probably already been discussed, but thoughts on Burton's Alice In Wonderland?

Cool visuals, but otherwise pretty meh IMO. Depp was mediocre at best (was the scottish accent to british accent to no accent at all on purpose?), Hellenah Bonham Carter just screamed the whole time, and the award for most awkward out of place scene in a movie goes to

. TOTALLY out of place and weird. From a serious, ominous tone of music to funk tones from the 80's? Just brutal. Made my fiance and I cringe.

VERY cool effects throughout though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)

Cool visuals, but otherwise pretty meh IMO. Depp was mediocre at best (was the scottish accent to british accent to no accent at all on purpose?), Hellenah Bonham Carter just screamed the whole time, and the award for most awkward out of place scene in a movie goes to

. TOTALLY out of place and weird. From a serious, ominous tone of music to funk tones from the 80's? Just brutal. Made my fiance and I cringe.

Generally agree with that, posted similar thoughts back when it came out.

We saw it in IMAX 3D, so visually it was a top-notch movie. Mediocre otherwise, but not bad.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)

I just got around to seeing the film and I agree the visuals were the strongest part — as tends to be the case with Burton. All in all I thought it was an entertaining film. As far as the dance scene at the end, maybe the dance and music style were an odd selection intended to be strictly humorous, but the scene itself was not out of place. Hatter had been noted earlier at teh Tea Party to be teh best Futterwhaken (sp??) dancer in Underland (I love that name — nice touch by Burton), and Hatter made a point the of saying that he would not Futterwhaken until the Queen of Hearts was unthroned. So it made sense that there woudl be a Hatter dance scene there, even if that particular song and dance don't quite come off.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
I just got around to seeing the film and I agree the visuals were the strongest part — as tends to be the case with Burton. All in all I thought it was an entertaining film. As far as the dance scene at the end, maybe the dance and music style were an odd selection intended to be strictly humorous, but the scene itself was not out of place. Hatter had been noted earlier at teh Tea Party to be teh best Futterwhaken (sp??) dancer in Underland (I love that name — nice touch by Burton), and Hatter made a point the of saying that he would not Futterwhaken until the Queen of Hearts was unthroned. So it made sense that there woudl be a Hatter dance scene there, even if that particular song and dance don't quite come off.

No I get why the included it, it's just that the execution (from the dance itself, to the music...but mainly the music) was so bad and out of place.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Generally agree with that, posted similar thoughts back when it came out.

We saw it in IMAX 3D, so visually it was a top-notch movie. Mediocre otherwise, but not bad.

I never saw it, but the people I know who did have said that it was almost pointless to be in 3D. They said there were very few scenes that utilized it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
I never saw it, but the people I know who did have said that it was almost pointless to be in 3D. They said there were very few scenes that utilized it.

you don't need crap flying at the screen for a 3D movie. In fact, I hate scenes that are added strictly to throw stuff at the camera.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)

I couldn't get into it. I only know the Disney "kidded up" version, so not sure how dark the book and stuff are, but just didn't enjoy it.

I say it all the time, but I want Tim Burton to make movies that are orginal. I like Ed Wood, Big Fish, Beetlejuice, and others.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)

the entire movie had what seemed to be a light snow falling everywhere, which added a very cool element to the picture. I thought that the 3D was used very often, it was just subtle

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
Qwerty, I just watched A Man for All Seasons. It was great, and I really like Robert Shaw as Henry VIII.

And I just watched Becket. It's amazing how many times Peter O'Toole has been nominated, and lost, at the Academy Awards. The job he did in this movie was one of the best I've ever seen. I liked Becket more than A Man for All Seasons.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
men who stare at goats sucked, i had high expectations after seeing burn after reading (one of the best ive seen in the passed few years) just rented the good sheperd looks pretty cool.

That's the exact opposite of what I thought. I liked The Men Who Stare at Goats, while I thought Burn After Reading was pretty blah and certainly wasn't funny.

Have any of you guys ever seen the movie Convoy? I'm most of you are too young (it's from 1978), but it was on last night and I watched it at work. First time I've seen it in years.

They just don't make movies like that anymore...:)