Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

saw the trailer for the american "let the right one in" today for the first time.

Kind of looks like a shot for shot remake. I really don't understand the point of remaking this (except to make money), but that was a pretty popular movie by foreign standards here. And it's not like that audience will see this one.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
saw the trailer for the american "let the right one in" today for the first time.

Kind of looks like a shot for shot remake. I really don't understand the point of remaking this (except to make money), but that was a pretty popular movie by foreign standards here. And it's not like that audience will see this one.

I'm pretty sure it is basically an exact remake. It'll make money, especially since I doubt it could have cost too much to make.

Hm, just looked it up on Wikipedia. They have it set in New Mexico. I don't know why they would drastically change the setting of the film. I figured they would have it set in Maine or Minnesota.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Mugshot__rodriguez%20michelle.jpg

Such natural beauty. Good call, fellas.

I loved Machete and although I wouldn't exactly call her ugly and her body did look good in the movie, I just can't stand michelle rodriguez and don't find her attractive. She's in the same category as rosario dawson as far as beauty in my eyes.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
The wife is away at a conference and the kids are asleep. I'm going to watch Chinatown — something I haven't seen in at least 15 years.

Saw that a few months ago for the first time and really, really enjoyed it.

In the last two days, I've watched Jacob's Ladder and The Fisher King. Again, two movies I really, really enjoyed. For being a serious movie, I was surprised to see a few actors out of place in Jacob's Ladder (Kyle Gass, Lewis Black, and Jason Alexander).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
Saw that a few months ago for the first time and really, really enjoyed it.

In the last two days, I've watched Jacob's Ladder and The Fisher King. Again, two movies I really, really enjoyed. For being a serious movie, I was surprised to see a few actors out of place in Jacob's Ladder (Kyle Gass, Lewis Black, and Jason Alexander).

I had to split Chinatown viewings over two nights. I'm a tired old man, what can I say?

But, damn what a fantastic film that is. Godfather Godfather II good. I think this and Cukoo's Nest have to be without question the defining films of Nicholson's career.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
The Town is at 91% after 74 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Previews make it look like another The Departed, which was one of the most over-hyped and overrated movies in recent memory (from, IMO, the most overrated director currently making movies).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
Previews make it look like another The Departed, which was one of the most over-hyped and overrated movies in recent memory (from, IMO, the most overrated director currently making movies).

Mebbe it just wasn't your taste and clearly neither is Scorsese. The Departed was a fantastic movie on many levels, in my opinion.

I'm excited to see The Town tonight, as Ben WHOfleck's other film, and directorial debut, Gone Baby Gone, was so good. Plus, who doesn't love Jon Hamm and the guy from the bomb*?

*Attempt to sound like Jerry Stiller when he describes The Net as "the one with the girl from The Bus."

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
I had to split Chinatown viewings over two nights. I'm a tired old man, what can I say?

But, damn what a fantastic film that is. Godfather Godfather II good. I think this and Cukoo's Nest have to be without question the defining films of Nicholson's career.

You can't forget As Good As It Gets, though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)

I don't know about Scorsese being overrated, but I see your point. It seems like his movies over the last 20 years have gone downhill. The Departed, as you said, was incredibly overrated. He had about seven other movies that deserved to win Best Picture before it, and I think a lot of people agree that it was more of a make-up call for all of the times that Scorsese was screwed.

That being said, it was sort of a down year in terms of Best Picture contenders. Letters From Iwo Jima is the one movie that I can say was definitely better.

It also doesn't help that The Departed is a remake of a Japanese (I believe) movie, and was said to be the exact same storyline.

I watched The Fisher King and Punch-Drunk Love in the last two days. Neither one of them was what I expected...both were a little strange, to be honest. I really liked both of them, and didn't even realize that I watched two relatively serious movies starring comedic actors. Most people (if not all) agree that Robin Williams is a great actor, but I think Adam Sandler really has it in him to be a pretty good one.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I watched The Fisher King and Punch-Drunk Love in the last two days. Neither one of them was what I expected...both were a little strange, to be honest. I really liked both of them, and didn't even realize that I watched two relatively serious movies starring comedic actors. Most people (if not all) agree that Robin Williams is a great actor, but I think Adam Sandler really has it in him to be a pretty good one.

I am a big fan of The Fisher King, Bridges and Williams are great together, and the way their characters are tied together is done very well.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
I am a big fan of The Fisher King, Bridges and Williams are great together, and the way their characters are tied together is done very well.

Huge fan of Fisher King, and most of Gilliam's stuff. I hope Don Quixote and (especially) Good Omens eventually get done. I have never been so anxious to see two film projects get off the ground as I am with these.

I'll cop to being a fan of Punch Drunk Love as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
Thoroughly enjoyed The Town. Almost seems like a Bostonized remake of Heat but it was still quite good. And the main actress in it.... :wub:

I thought it was great. My favorite scene was this:

Affleck: I need your help...I can't tell you what it's about, you can never ask me about it later, and we're going to hurt some people.

Renner: Whose car we taking?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)

Affleck: I need your help...I can't tell you what it's about, you can never ask me about it later, and we're going to hurt some people.

Yeah that was awesome. Renner was fantastic and very convincing as the local thug.

And watching Affleck's films makes me wish that there was a young hot shot director from Chicago that filmed in the gritty streets of Chicago. It seems like most films in Chicago almost try to hide the fact that the film is in Chicago whereas Affleck embraces Boston.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Yeah that was awesome. Renner was fantastic and very convincing as the local thug.

And watching Affleck's films makes me wish that there was a young hot shot director from Chicago that filmed in the gritty streets of Chicago. It seems like most films in Chicago almost try to hide the fact that the film is in Chicago whereas Affleck embraces Boston.

Yeah, he does and it's pretty cool. I recognized so many of the locations in the movie. I drove past the gravel place (the place where he worked) every single day when I lived there, and I've been past that bar they met in a few times, but I'm pretty sure that's just an empty building in reality. There were quite a few locations I recognized.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)

Agreed and agreed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Affleck is 2 for 2 now. He could turn out to be a great story teller of this era.

I wanted to like "Gone Baby Gone", but I was just bored through it. I could see why some people liked it, but I just couldn't get into it.