Jared Mitchell is playing like a #1 prospect

macsandz

Looking for a breakout player for the Sox this season? Jared Mitchell is blowin up so far in camp for the Sox displaying tools that may just develop into a those of a MLB impact player. It's not just the numbers he's putting up but they way he's playing that's most impressive. He's not only got serious ability, but he's fearless and it's shows. Look for Mitchell to make his way to AA Birmingham this season and position himself for serious consideration next year in camp. I think Ozzie will continue to play him in the A games for another week or so and cut him late.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't take too much from a few spring training games. But it's better to see him doing well than being 1/15 with 8 K's. I'm very excited about this kid. Last year was the first time I watched college baseball with any regularity. So I actually got to see him play some. The skillset is there. I hope we hang on to him.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
let me guess everyones response: thats awesome, lets trade him for agone. ? lol

This. :lolhitting

Though, assuming he's held on to, it creates an interesting problem, though I just assume he'll be in AA this year, and AAA next before getting to the bigs. Maybe some September call ups.

He's still quite raw for a prospect though.

Even if he does tear up AA, you can't take things for granted with prospects like him. Jeremy Reed for instance was a guy who tore up AA and did well in AAA, but failed to take the next step.

Still, there are some promising signs nonetheless.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
He's still quite raw for a prospect though.

Even if he does tear up AA, you can't take things for granted with prospects like him. Jeremy Reed for instance was a guy who tore up AA and did well in AAA, but failed to take the next step.

Still, there are some promising signs nonetheless.

I think everyone though would agree that Mitchell's tools are much more impressive than Reeds ever were. Now, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the premise of your post as we shouldn't get too thrilled or too disappointed by the way he does this season at whatever level(s) he's at but the raw talent of Mitchell is quite exciting no matter what.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
I think everyone though would agree that Mitchell's tools are much more impressive than Reeds ever were. Now, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the premise of your post as we shouldn't get too thrilled or too disappointed by the way he does this season at whatever level(s) he's at but the raw talent of Mitchell is quite exciting no matter what.

Beat me to the punch, great post. His upside is much higher than Reeds was (and this pains me to say, since I was Reeds biggest fan.. :lol:) I would also say that Reed wasn't a first round talent/pick either (though at times.. that doesn't matter when you find sleepers). I'm glad your thinking about some Jeremy Reed sexiness though Andy. :D

I also find it funny the guy Reed was compared to, is who I'm now cheering for on the sox, though he's old(er) and might be a part time DH on a questionable offense. :D

Edited by SoxAce

Wouldn't it be something if our organization struck gold with two straight first round picks?

After the likes of Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, and etc. this is very refreshing.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
I'm way too excited about JDanks2 and Mitchell right now. When one of them (or both) is inevitably traded, I'll have to talk myself off the bridge. Unless of course, they bring a big return.

They're the last 2 I'd give for AGon, and I'd try any package I could to keep them both.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
Beat me to the punch, great post. His upside is much higher than Reeds was (and this pains me to say, since I was Reeds biggest fan.. :lol:) I would also say that Reed wasn't a first round talent/pick either (though at times.. that doesn't matter when you find sleepers). I'm glad your thinking about some Jeremy Reed sexiness though Andy. :D

Should have a throw back name day. Go back to your Jeremy Reed handle for a while. ;)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:31 AM)
I'm way too excited about JDanks2 and Mitchell right now. When one of them (or both) is inevitably traded, I'll have to talk myself off the bridge. Unless of course, they bring a big return.

I haven't been as excited for a prospect like I am for Mitchell in a while. I'm just in love with the fact that he's a premier athlete and already has a good batting eye. Obviously he has holes in his game right now that are going to need to be corrected but plate discipline isn't one of them, and that's usually one of the main adjustments "speed guys" need to make if they're going to make it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
I haven't been as excited for a prospect like I am for Mitchell in a while. I'm just in love with the fact that he's a premier athlete and already has a good batting eye. Obviously he has holes in his game right now that are going to need to be corrected but plate discipline isn't one of them, and that's usually one of the main adjustments "speed guys" need to make if they're going to make it.

Indeed, I am most excited about Mitchell for the exact same reasons. You can't teach fast, and IMO you can't teach really good batters eye, they are just things you have or don't, and he has both of them. Not to be hyperbolic here, but I keep thinking Carl Crawford with a better batting eye when I think of Jared Mitchell. There is so much potential for him to get better too with his age and the fact he wasn't concentrating entirely on baseball before.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
Not to be hyperbolic here, but I keep thinking Carl Crawford with a better batting eye when I think of Jared Mitchell.

Thats who he was compared to comming out. Though I was of the very few who saw more of Grady Sizemore with less power in the draft thread about him.

Completely hypothetical question here, but what if the Padres said this.....

You can have A-Gon, as long as you give us....

Beckham + lower lvl prospect (Back end of our top 10 prospects)

or

Mitchell, Danks, Flowers, and Hudson

You had to pick one deal, you could not just say "No", what deal would you do?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)

or

Thats dumb and no reason to answer it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)

or

I'd hang up the phone.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

I also find it funny the guy Reed was compared to, is who I'm now cheering for on the sox, though he's old(er) and might be a part time DH on a questionable offense. :D

Ha, no not really.

I just don't want people around here to put too much pressure on Mitchell on the back of a hot ST etc. There just aren't that many players like Gordon Beckham that can come up and have an impact straight away at the major league level, although I will say you are seeing more 1st round picks doing that nowadays.

But it's good nonetheless that we have a prospect with some actual quality tools instead of 1st rounders like Lance Broadway and Kyle McCullough. Shows that the Sox's draft and scouting process has come quite a way over the past 5 years.

You have to watch the irrational excitement early in spring training. For one thing many guys are still working more with their fastballs to try to build arm strength. They are also not able to throw nearly as sharp of breaking stuff as they will feature when they move north. That doesn't mean that Mitchell isn't doing well, but he could be getting a little help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
You have to watch the irrational excitement early in spring training. For one thing many guys are still working more with their fastballs to try to build arm strength. They are also not able to throw nearly as sharp of breaking stuff as they will feature when they move north. That doesn't mean that Mitchell isn't doing well, but he could be getting a little help.

Viciedo had a solid spring last year IIRC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)

Didn't Wilson Betemit rake last ST?