Jared Mitchell is playing like a #1 prospect

macsandz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
In the B game yesterday Mitchell went 2/3 with a double and 2 stolen bases then in the other game against Seattle added and RBI triple in the ninth.

... and almost gunned-out a runner at the plate

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
Viciedo had a solid spring last year IIRC.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
Didn't Wilson Betemit rake last ST?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
Didn't Brian Anderson rake every ST?

Not to mention two of the greatest spring training all stars ever Joe Crede and Paul Konerko, who then go north and seemingly forget how to hit until Memorial Day.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
I haven't been as excited for a prospect like I am for Mitchell in a while. I'm just in love with the fact that he's a premier athlete and already has a good batting eye. Obviously he has holes in his game right now that are going to need to be corrected but plate discipline isn't one of them, and that's usually one of the main adjustments "speed guys" need to make if they're going to make it.

I think this speaks to the greatness of Beckham. Did we ever even consider him a prospect? Seems like we viewed him as a major league ballplayer from the get go.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
I think this speaks to the greatness of Beckham. Did we ever even consider him a prospect? Seems like we viewed him as a major league ballplayer from the get go.

If that draft got a do-over, where does Gordon go?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
If that draft got a do-over, where does Gordon go?

Honestly, it is still really early. Guys legitimately are not supposed to be major leaguers from that draft class yet. There are still guys who could end up big time out of that group, and it not be an odd time line.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
First, especially with Bartlett looking like a star at SS for Tampa.

Really? Ahead of Posey, Smoak, Alvarez, Matusz, the other Beckham?

I think you can make a case for any of them. Probably others too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Wouldn't it be something if our organization struck gold with two straight first round picks?

After the likes of Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, and etc. this is very refreshing.

And I would say we struck gold with Poreda. If only because he was instrumental in netting us Peavy. You have to give the organization a lot of credit for the drastic (and very much needed) change in draft philosophy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)

Yeah. The '08 draft should go down as one of the best and deepest in quite some time. No real consensus best player. Although I will say if the Pirates called and offered Alvarez for Beckham I'd be the first to volunteer to drive GB to the airport.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
I guess if it came down to trading either JDanks2 or Mitchell I would say JDanks2 would be the one to go in a trade for Agon. Mtchell´s upside is a ton better than Danks.

I would be keeping both prospects and building from within instead of trading everyone we develop for someone elses talent, but that's just me

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)

If you look at what Tampa has, they're pretty set at the corners. Considering their window to win is the next 2 seasons likely with the Crawford/Pena groups, Gordon would have been the best fit. I think Posey's going to be a huge flop, BTW

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
I would be keeping both prospects and building from within instead of trading everyone we develop for someone elses talent, but that's just me

Do you honestly think that people would be willing to keep buying two million or so tickets a year while the minor league system developed as we quit bringing in replacement players via trade?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Do you honestly think that people would be willing to keep buying two million or so tickets a year while the minor league system developed as we quit bringing in replacement players via trade?

Not a chance in hell with our fan base

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)

Don't know about the other Beckham (still young and early, but from what I heard he isn't the player many were expecting) but Smoak for sure would be in the top 10.. possibly top 3. Was surprised he dropped to 13th then. Skipworth and others would even sniff the top 10 if theres a do-over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
Which means we would be a 65 win team for years until we caught lightning in a bottle. No thanks. Kenny can keep dealing prospects for proven players as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't agree more, especially because we're never competitive in the FA market.