Jared Mitchell is playing like a #1 prospect

macsandz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Do you honestly think that people would be willing to keep buying two million or so tickets a year while the minor league system developed as we quit bringing in replacement players via trade?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Which means we would be a 65 win team for years until we caught lightning in a bottle. No thanks. Kenny can keep dealing prospects for proven players as far as I am concerned.

I see your overall point. But I don't see anything wrong with being able to filter in your own talent every now and then. Your minor league system ideally is used to both filter in younger, and more importantly, cheaper talent, or to trade for more established players. Our minor league system under the KW era has been used solely for that latter. And this philosophy has proven over time that it doesn't translate to year in and year out success (two playoff births in 9 years under KW isn't gettin' it done). I guess the best example I can come up with as far as being able to do both (trade for proven players while being able to filter in your own talent) is the Atlanta Braves during that spectacular run of 14 straight playoff births. I realize how rare that is. But other than the Yankees, most teams that consistently get to October are able to produce from within.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
You have to give the organization a lot of credit for the drastic (and very much needed) change in draft philosophy.

Absolutely, credit Doug Laumann. He has done well in his 2 years back in charge as director of amateur scouting.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah. The '08 draft should go down as one of the best and deepest in quite some time. No real consensus best player. Although I will say if the Pirates called and offered Alvarez for Beckham I'd be the first to volunteer to drive GB to the airport.

I know I'd still take Smoak over Beckham, that's how good that draft class is.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)

I was hoping Beckham or Smoak at the time, and was ecstatic that the Reds took Alonso.

I'm happy with Beckham, but you're right..that 2008 draft class is great. It may rival 2005, but that's a tall order. Not sure what they're saying about this year's draft, but hopefully the Sox will get a nice pick at #13.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Absolutely, credit Doug Laumann. He has done well in his 2 years back in charge as director of amateur scouting.

Really?

Smoak was brutal at AAA last year....I will be interested to see how the Rangers handle him and Davis.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Really?

Smoak was brutal at AAA last year.

If a .244/.363/.360/.723 is considered "brutal" then I'll take it. That is usually a slap hitters numbers sure, but the man can still get on base. I liked Beckham more than Smoak then.. still do now. But I'm surprised he's done so well. I didn't think he was as good as Wallace, Alvarez (who many views as a 1B too depending on his progression at 3B.. if he's a 1B then Beckham I would prefer as well) etc.. comming out, though I liked him more than Alonso.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I see your overall point. But I don't see anything wrong with being able to filter in your own talent every now and then. Your minor league system ideally is used to both filter in younger, and more importantly, cheaper talent, or to trade for more established players. Our minor league system under the KW era has been used solely for that latter. And this philosophy has proven over time that it doesn't translate to year in and year out success (two playoff births in 9 years under KW isn't gettin' it done). I guess the best example I can come up with as far as being able to do both (trade for proven players while being able to filter in your own talent) is the Atlanta Braves during that spectacular run of 14 straight playoff births. I realize how rare that is. But other than the Yankees, most teams that consistently get to October are able to produce from within.

That means sitting and waiting with a hole at a position until someone is able to develop, because you would have to hold on to those prospects in the hope that they develop. After hearing the collective hissy fit on Soxtalk about the DH situation, the CF spot in prior years, and the lead off spot, I can't see Sox fans as a collective actually being willing to let something like this play out of the course of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
That means sitting and waiting with a hole at a position until someone is able to develop, because you would have to hold on to those prospects in the hope that they develop. After hearing the collective hissy fit on Soxtalk about the DH situation, the CF spot in prior years, and the lead off spot, I can't see Sox fans as a collective actually being willing to let something like this play out of the course of years.

You also can create a hole to make room for a prospect, like what the Wsox did by trading Rowand. It didn't work that time as we all know, but thats the best way to go about it imo.