Hamilton

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
Unless they don't think he will recover. And if I remember correctly, Texas has a pretty damn good farm system. Maybe they have the OF pieces to replace him.

Lets just say that you're right and they don't believe in him and think his production can easily be replaced (I don't think this is the case but whatever); you still have to give him a chance to up his value during the season because it's pretty much s*** right now and you can't just let a talent like him go for a couple ok prospects.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Saw a headline on ESPN insider that Texas is considering trading Josh Hamilton. As I personally know him, it would be awesome to see him on the white sox. Think there could be a place for him in Chicago? Long term, could he fit in at 1B?

Thoughts?

If you personally know him, why don't you ask him?

I'd love to see it simply because Beyond Belief is my favorite book of all time (albeit i havent read much in my life but still thats beside the point). Pierre-Rios-Hamilton with Q DH'n???? sign me up but as numerous posters before said i just dont see it happening right now unless they have someone comin up they really wanna make room for or maybe they want to give Daniel or David Murphy (i get em mixed up) some time. Could you imagine if Q and Josh put um there 08 numbers in the same lineup....MERCY were talking 68/230

He will be 29 this year and if can get back to his 2008 then it would be an interesting idea to look at him in July at the dealine. But he has been hur 2 of the past 3 years so that worries me. He may also be going inot his Arb years as MLB.COm shows his debut in 2007. Would be interesting nonethless and won´t cost nearly as much in prospects as AGon.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
And if they do, it's either due to the fact that he's an injury machine or is having trouble staying on the wagon so to speak (aka he's damaged goods.)

Exactly. Guy has all the natural talent, but no thanks, Texas can keep him.

If I look at our OF construction, I ask...who is Hamilton going to be better than with 100% certainty? I come up with the name of Pierre, but he's not going to the bench because he's a unique type of hitter in our lineup.

Do we want him replacing Q? Not unless he's hurt.

Do we want him replacing Rios? Well, we already are gambling on recovery from Rios, and frankly, given the age and injury history, I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton is a defensive downgrade. Anyway, the last thing we want is Rios regularly benched, because that's a sure-fire way to guarantee he'll struggle more.

That leaves us with our rotating DH.

If you could get Hamilton for a reasonable price and put him in Kotsay's place as the rotating DH, would you do it? Of course, that's a freaking no-brainer. But the question you have to ask yourself is...how much is he worth to you compared to other teams? Filling a rotating DH/OF spot is going to be easier than finding a full time, offense-generating CF (which we hopefully already have).

If KW could pull it off without giving up Hudson or D2, that'd be great, but I don't know why Texas would do a deal like that. Hudson would have to be the key part, and I wouldn't give up that pitcher for him after his injury history. They have no need of Viciedo. I'd probably do Mitchell straight up for him. But I can probably name about a dozen teams with greater OF weakness than us who could use him more and should be willing to give up more than we would.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
You move TCQ to DH. Start Hamilton in RF. I like Hamilton a lot, but I’d be very concerned for a guy going to Chicago with his type of problems. The nightlife is famous for getting to people who are lot less easily swayed then Josh Hamilton.

Who is more likely to be an injury issue, Hamilton or Quentin?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Who is more likely to be an injury issue, Hamilton or Quentin?

Hamilton, without a doubt. His body is incredibly f***ed up from years of hardcore drug use, he has virtually no immune system left and he takes longer to heal than your average ballplayer.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Hamilton, without a doubt. His body is incredibly f***ed up from years of hardcore drug use, he has virtually no immune system left and he takes longer to heal than your average ballplayer.

That was a rhetorical question. :headbang