2010 Preview: Lefty Starters

danman31

Great read Dan. Ya Leesman is a guy I like alot, especially with the increased velocity on his fastball from where he was drafted to now. One guy who wasn't mentioned who is worth keeping an eye on as well is Santos Rodriguez. Dude can really dial it up himself. Still raw, but is an interesting prospect. Should be interesting to see not only if he fills out his 6'5 frame, but if the sox like him as a SP or RP.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Great read Dan. Ya Leesman is a guy I like alot, especially with the increased velocity on his fastball from where he was drafted to now. One guy who wasn't mentioned who is worth keeping an eye on as well is Santos Rodriguez. Dude can really dial it up himself. Still raw, but is an interesting prospect. Should be interesting to see not only if he fills out his 6'5 frame, but if the sox like him as a SP or RP.

Rodriguez will be in with the relievers. There was some talk of him starting last year but it didn't happen, I'd say the chance of seeing him in that role now are pretty slim, he only has one secondary pitch of note.

ugh, that was a good read but it was depressing for a prospect geek like me. i'd be surprised if we don't overdraft some LHP's in the draft this season with how thin our organizational depth is in that area.

On a side note, didn't Edwards have tommy john surgery in 08? if so it usually takes more than a full season to come back from that type of procedure and we should see what he's really got this year. maybe something to look forward to.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
On a side note, didn't Edwards have tommy john surgery in 08? if so it usually takes more than a full season to come back from that type of procedure and we should see what he's really got this year. maybe something to look forward to.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was, so yes his 2009 was good considering he was probably not 100% the whole year. His control was great, but his K rate was scary low. He could be worth watching, but he was awfully mediocre before the injury.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
I hope Holmberg improve velocity on his FB and also his secondary pitches.

His secondary pitches are already pretty good, I think the biggest thing is his velocity and consistency. I would expect a young pitcher to become more consistent, but the velocity is up in the air. It was a solid pick for the upside and the fact that he has so many pitches for such a young age.