Torii Hunter: Black Hispanics are "Impostors"

knightni

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
Gosh darnit, I'm black american and Jackie Robinson can only be celebrated by myself and other black americans. If you're black and from a Latin country, you don't count as a black man. Same with you Jamaicans!

Honestly, Torrii, two weeks later, still sounds like an idiot.

What Hunter said was stupid, but black hispanics and black Americans are totally different culturally. That's the key here, culture.

Even some black hispanics I know in life told me that they consider themselves hispanic because of their latin roots, before they consider themselves black. They're just more in-tuned with spanish culture and have little in common with African Americans, and doesn't relate to the racism that African Americans experience in the US, doesn't relate to African-American culture, etc etc etc. Even black hispanic's choice of food is different.

Here's another example, it's not a good example, but think of the differences between Europeans and white Americans. Even though I'm white, I'm an American mutt and I would find it a lot more harder to find anything in common with a white European from Poland, or Germany, or Russia, that doesn't speak English, than it would for me to find things in common with an American of any race. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm gonna have anything in common with, or identify with some random white person from Europe that doesn't get American culture.

Same thing with black hispanics and black Americans. The black hispanics doesn't identify or understand black American's culture as well.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
What Hunter said was stupid, but black hispanics and black Americans are totally different culturally. That's the key here, culture.

Even some black hispanics I know in life told me that they consider themselves hispanic because of their latin roots, before they consider themselves black. They're just more in-tuned with spanish culture and have little in common with African Americans, and doesn't relate to the racism that African Americans experience in the US, doesn't relate to African-American culture, etc etc etc. Even black hispanic's choice of food is different.

Here's another example, it's not a good example, but think of the differences between Europeans and white Americans. Even though I'm white, I'm an American mutt and I would find it a lot more harder to find anything in common with a white European from Poland, or Germany, or Russia, that doesn't speak English, than it would for me to find things in common with an American of any race. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm gonna have anything in common with, or identify with some random white person from Europe that doesn't get American culture.

Same thing with black hispanics and black Americans. The black hispanics doesn't identify or understand black American's culture as well.

The thing is, whether you're from America or Polish. If you are a lighter shade of brown, you are considered white. When someone says you're white, they mean your skin color. Not talking about culture whatsoever. Even though the person who is Polish shares very little with you, you both are still white.

As far as me, I'm Mexican. so I'm just brown. If someone compared me with an Indian and said, "you guys are brown." that would be correct. I wouldn't say, "Don't call those people brown. They're imposters." They're just as brown as I am.

And last, but not least, "black" people are just a darker shade of brown. If you take an african american and a jamaican, they are all still black by their skin color.

Heck, I don't understand why some people call Asians yellow. They're, "white" for the most part.

It's silly to me.

As far as Jackie Robinson he stands for much more than being the first African American to play the game which is why not only Black Americans should be able to wear 42. He kicked down the door so black people can play, so I can play, so "white people" can play amongst their friends. It made it okay for guys like Torrii to play with guys like Vladimir Guerrero and John Lackey.