Nice article about Danks1 and Floyd

knightni

Floyd's ultimate breakthrough came internally. One day, White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink handed him David L. Cook's book "Golf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia." The more Floyd read, the more his mind felt freed. And his right arm soon followed.

"I know this is a sensitive subject," Floyd said, "but I put complete trust in God that there's a plan. To take that pressure and give it to Him, it gives me the confidence and the strength and the fearlessness I need.

"When you're in professional baseball and you're 18, your identity is baseball. That book opened up my eyes. In the big scheme of things, when you die, do you want to be known for your baseball career or the relationships with your family and your friends? It kind of put things in perspective for me."

Scott Linebrink FTW.

Edited by SoxAce

They're a testament to the ingenuity of White Sox general manager Kenny Williams, who acquired them both during a productive 17-day span in late 2006. On Dec. 6, Williams traded Freddy Garcia to the Phillies for Floyd and Gio Gonzalez. Two days before Christmas, he sent Brandon McCarthy to the Rangers for a package featuring Danks.

Think about that: Most executives consider it a coup to land one affordable, durable young starter in a trade. If Williams had waited 24 hours longer, he could have scored a pair between Pearl Harbor Day and Christmas.

My favorite part of the article. That really is amazing when you think about it a little over 3 years later. I can't think of any GM in recent memory that's pulled off what Kenny did with these two.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Makes me want to keep Pierzynski and trade Flowers or move him to 1B.

Makes me want Flowers to apprentice behind AJ for a couple of years. We've been quite spoiled for several years with AJ behind the plate, but I remember how much our pitching improved as soon as we signed him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
My favorite part of the article. That really is amazing when you think about it a little over 3 years later. I can't think of any GM in recent memory that's pulled off what Kenny did with these two.

I remember really disliking Floyd because we gave up Freddy for him, but at least McCarthy was getting a shot...then Danks. I rooted for Danks to win the 5th spot so bad, but now, I like both of them.

And we have all 3 pitchers to boot.

Yes, if only kenny had waited 24 hours longer so you could have written the mediocre range of "between pearl harbor day and christmas"

because, as we all know, that has some sort of significance.

if kenny had only waited four months longer, he would've acquired TWO between st. patricks day and Easter...how about that!

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Yes, if only kenny had waited 24 hours longer so you could have written the mediocre range of "between pearl harbor day and christmas"

because, as we all know, that has some sort of significance.

if kenny had only waited four months longer, he would've acquired TWO between st. patricks day and Easter...how about that!

Funny you noted that. I was reading it and just shook my head at how some writers can take a great article and force some really ridiculous thought like that into the mix. Still a nice article, otherwise.

Nice read by Sox organization on Gio Gonzales. I remember him being touted as a phenom. A wrecked Freddy and him for Gavin. Not bad. Same with Mc carthy. He certainly contributed in'05 but Cooper or some one decided he wasn't all that and they got Danks for him. Nice going White Sox!

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Nice read by Sox organization on Gio Gonzales. I remember him being touted as a phenom. A wrecked Freddy and him for Gavin. Not bad. Same with Mc carthy. He certainly contributed in'05 but Cooper or some one decided he wasn't all that and they got Danks for him. Nice going White Sox!

That's a little bit backwards. Gio went over to the Phils in the Thome/Rowand deal and came back to the Sox in the Garcia/Floyd deal. He got dealt to the A's in the Swisher deal.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)

You've got the Gio trade backwards. Gio first went to the Phillies in the Thome trade. He came back as Gio and Gavin for Freddy.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

Gio was traded with Rowand for Thome then re-acquired with Gavin for Freddy then dealt to the A's as part of a package for Swisher.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Gio is still an interesting 'spect. He's young and he's been able to carry his high K rate into the majors. He just hasn't been able to get his walks down.

Yeah, it's hard to write a 24 year old lefty off after only ~130 ML IP espcially when he's sporting a 9+ K/9. Unless I'm missing a real obvious one that Swisher trade is probably the worst of KW's career.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Worse than the Todd Ritchie deal?

I'm not lamenting the loss of Josh Fogg, Kip Wells and Sean Lowe (Wells had 2 good years with the Piarates but that's about it for the 3 of them). I'd love to have Ryan Sweeney right about now.