What are the chances of the Sox eating Linebrink's contract?

Wanne

But I really don't want to lose Santos or another arm because of this guy. I just don't have a great feeling about Liney right now. Not sure if he's just lost it...or his head is completely messed up. But I really don't want to suffer another season of finding out. It's a big chunk to eat...but would you eat the $4.5 if it helps the team?

$4.5M? Try $10.5M. And no, no they will not.

Santos is the only young arm who's out of options and there is 1 spot left in the pen (since a 2nd lefty is a lock for the other spot) so that's not an issue. This is why they signed Putz, he takes over the 8th inning righty role with Pena behind him and Linebrink working low leverage innings until he proves he has his s*** together. With Thornton, Putz and Pena in the fold and an open roster spot for your 1 promising young arm who's out of options there's no reason to panic and cut Linebrink, assuming he's not injured he should be able to give you a decent month or 2 in the first half and there's always the chance he has a flookish successful season given his talent and past production.

But no, you don't eat $10.5M for no good reason.

He's always good for the first half of the season (before the all star break). It's the second half (after the all star break) that kills him. Plus he's a very good clubhouse guy from all accounts (helps guys more mentally/spiritually and such) not to mention he has a no trade clause anyway, so we have to keep him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
I'd pitch him to the Cubs and see if they bite. But if they don't. you can't swallow that contract. Keep him and use him, just use him the right way.

That's what I was going to say too. See if the Cubs want him, and pay half his salary or whatever.

The only good thing Linebrink has ever done for this team is talked Peavy into coming here.

I'd pitch him to the Cubs and see if they bite. But if they don't. you can't swallow that contract. Keep him and use him, just use him the right way.

This might not be bad idea but I am sure they will demand we eat some of the contract.

That's what I was going to say too. See if the Cubs want him, and pay half his salary or whatever.

The only good thing Linebrink has ever done for this team is talked Peavy into coming here.

Maybe he can talk Agon into coming here before we ship him out. :lolhitting

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)

Linebrink didn't talk Peavy into coming here. I'm sure his presence and his feedback was appreciated, but the reason Peavy turned down the trade initially was because the Padres had a better record than the White Sox, and the reason he accepted the second time was because the Sox were in the thick of the division race and the Padres were floundering. Peavy wants to win, and has said as much.

I doubt the Cubs can afford him even though they probably think he's a great pitcher on a sweetheart contract.

IIRC Linebrink didn't really talk Peavy into coming here. Linebrink tried to but Peavy said no. Then Kenny traded for Peavy at the last minute and thankfully Peavy okay'd the deal before Linebrink had a chance to come in and blow the save. Linebrink's sales pitch to Peavy was probably like, "Yeah, there's homeless people all over the place, and they just piss wherever they want to, and the South Side is a total dump overrun with gangbangers, and so yeah, you'd really love it here. It's great."

How's he looking this spring?

The money thing always amazes me in baseball. Teams play guys and keep guys cause they make a lot of money. And the LOSE GAMES because of this and ultimately lose money.

If a guy sucks put him in the Carrasco role of last year. Long long relief or send him down.

That's what they do in the NFL. They cut your ass. Player keeps the bonus money but not the yearly contract money.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
How's he looking this spring?

The money thing always amazes me in baseball. Teams play guys and keep guys cause they make a lot of money. And the LOSE GAMES because of this and ultimately lose money.

If a guy sucks put him in the Carrasco role of last year. Long long relief or send him down.

That's what they do in the NFL. They cut your ass. Player keeps the bonus money but not the yearly contract money.

It's a business too Greg. You want to get whatever you can out of your investment. If you buy a hot stock that you are sure is going to explode, but instead implodes, you may as well hang onto it to try and earn some value. There's no point in cutting it at its lowest value when there may be some type of redeeming quality within it. Meanwhile, these guys like Daniel Cabrera and Erick Threets are junk bonds. If they suck, you can cut them and completely forget about it.

And contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL. Comparing the NFL to any other major sport is comparing apples to oranges.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
$4.5M? Try $10.5M. And no, no they will not.

Santos is the only young arm who's out of options and there is 1 spot left in the pen (since a 2nd lefty is a lock for the other spot) so that's not an issue. This is why they signed Putz, he takes over the 8th inning righty role with Pena behind him and Linebrink working low leverage innings until he proves he has his s*** together. With Thornton, Putz and Pena in the fold and an open roster spot for your 1 promising young arm who's out of options there's no reason to panic and cut Linebrink, assuming he's not injured he should be able to give you a decent month or 2 in the first half and there's always the chance he has a flookish successful season given his talent and past production.

But no, you don't eat $10.5M for no good reason.

That's a pretty level-headed way to look at it, although I wouldn't call a good season out of him "flukish". Not with his track record. If he had 1 good season out of ten, now that would be a fluke.

Had a pretty nice '08 until he got hurt. The injury isn't his fault.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
It's a business too Greg. You want to get whatever you can out of your investment. If you buy a hot stock that you are sure is going to explode, but instead implodes, you may as well hang onto it to try and earn some value. There's no point in cutting it at its lowest value when there may be some type of redeeming quality within it. Meanwhile, these guys like Daniel Cabrera and Erick Threets are junk bonds. If they suck, you can cut them and completely forget about it.

And contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL. Comparing the NFL to any other major sport is comparing apples to oranges.

The NFL has the luxury of no longer having to pay a player they decide to cut. The only money guaranteed is what is promised in a bonus.

Unless Santos completely goes in the tank, the bullpen seems to be pretty much set.

CL-Jenks

Thornton

Putz

Santos

Pena

Williams

Linebrink

if Linebrink would happen to regain form, that bullpen could match the starting rotation and be a top 3 bullpen. Even if he doesn't, it's still right at the top.

Anyone who thinks Santos will outperform Linebrink even if Linebrink pitches in 2010 like he did last year is basing it on NOTHING. I think Linebrink will bounce back. You don't win in MLB with rookie pitchers who just started pitching less than a year ago.

People need to get off the stats accumulated the first couple weeks of spring. Go back last year. Jeff Marquez was going to win 15 games at this date. Santos might be a decent pitcher someday at the major league level. Might. It won't be in 2010.

BTW, MLB Network had a thing about stats in spring training and how they correlated to last year's stats. Greinke had an ERA about 9.00. Betemit led the Sox with 6 homers. Teahan hit 7 homers with KC. If he does it this spring, people will say he's a lock for 30.

Andruw Jones is going to bounce back, Kotsay is a "professional hitter", yet Linebrink needs to have his contract bought out. There's very little logic with this. As long as he is healthy Linebrink will be better than most think.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
Andruw Jones is going to bounce back, Kotsay is a "professional hitter", yet Linebrink needs to have his contract bought out. There's very little logic with this. As long as he is healthy Linebrink will be better than most think.

I agree with most of what you said, DA, but isn’t assuming Linebrink will have a consistent wire-to-wire year, just as big an assumption that Jones and Kotsay will recover their careers?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
If he starts out the first half like he played in the second half then he'll be put through waivers and sent down to work on things in Charlotte. If he has another strong first half however and then falters in the second, expect the Sox to keep running him out there.

Thats what he always does. Good first half then the wheels fall off the second half.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 06:33 AM)
Unless Santos completely goes in the tank, the bullpen seems to be pretty much set.

CL-Jenks

Thornton

Putz

Santos

Pena

Williams

Linebrink

if Linebrink would happen to regain form, that bullpen could match the starting rotation and be a top 3 bullpen. Even if he doesn't, it's still right at the top.

I see it a little more in doubt than that. We still need Putz and Jenks to regain form. The pen has a chance to be at the top, but also a chance to be at the bottom. Right now, you gotta put it in the middle.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Jenks worries me more than Linebrink because he's in a more important bullpen role this season and he's been shaky in ST and late last year.

I bet you that few things would get Bobby seriously fired up like temporarily losing the closer's job to Putz.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I bet you that few things would get Bobby seriously fired up like temporarily losing the closer's job to Putz.

I think Putz is by far the biggest question mark in the pen. If he's pitching well enough to take over for Bobby, I think we're in good shape.