Hawks national anthem... Disrespectful?

What do people think? To me it is the ultimate sign of respect to show your excitement and energy for the national anthem and the US flag. This is an arena that also cheers wildly anytime a member of our military is shown, so it isn't like they are just picking the anthem to be a part of.

http://blog.mlive.com/ottoman-empire/2010/..._has_to_go.html

Chicago Blackhawks' National Anthem tradition has to go

By Rob Otto

March 08, 2010, 11:20AM

Listening to the Red Wings-Blackhawks pregame on Sunday reminded me of one of the most awful traditions in sports.

Jim Cornelison belted out his wonderful, booming rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner.

The crowd yelled, screamed and clapped through the entire thing. It's something the fans started doing because they were so pumped up before a 1985 Campbell Conference playoff game against the Edmonton Oilers, and have continued it ever since.

And it makes my skin crawl every time I hear it.

I grew up in a military family. My father was a Commander in the United States Coast Guard and he taught me a deep love of our country, and respect for our flag. That includes standing during the National Anthem with my right hand over my heart and singing the words.

I understand it is a very difficult song, and many Americans feel embarrassed to sing it in public. However, if you're not singing you should at least stand in silent reverence until it is completed.

The Chicago fans are doing the exact opposite.

Their argument is that they are being more patriotic -- that yelling and screaming makes them a part of the anthem instead of just being a silent bystander. I am not buying it.

Now, before you think is a "Detroiter hates Chicagoan" piece, let me remind you that fans of plenty of other sports teams disrespect the Anthem as well. Right here in Detroit, there is always some idiot who yells "Red Wings" over "the rockets' red glare." At NHL games in Dallas they yell "Stars" every time that word appears in the song.

In my opinion, it is all disrespectful to the song and what it represents -- the men and women who fought valiantly to make this country what it is today.

I understand that the screaming at the United Center is tradition, but not all traditions are right.

Remember what the fans used to yell at Yost Ice Arena? Obscenities abounded in the chants, especially when an opposing player was sent to the penalty box.

It was tradition. It was just the fans getting into the game. But for the parents who brought their kids to the game, it was awful. Complaints abounded and the higher-ups at U-M heard them.

The athletic department finally eliminated that particular tradition. Somehow the world kept rotating. Fans kept coming and enjoying themselves. Yost is still a difficult place to play for any opposing team.

It's the same thing that has to happen in Chicago and every other city where our National Anthem is being disrespected.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a homer Detroit asshole who has ZERO idea how the tradition started, I guess.

That fat turd is in like the 2% minority. There are few times I feel more patriotic then when at a Hawks game during the National Anthem.

He compares it to much worse "traditions" like pumping your team name up in the song or yelling obscenities, yet you ask anyone, the Anthem during Hawks games is inspirational.

Edited by Steve9347

Hawks fans clap and cheer during the anthemn; they don't boo or hiss. The former = praise; The latter = disprespect.

The fact that service members and veterans ("the men and women who fought valiantly to make this country what it is today") take part in this tradition is the ultimate counterpoint to this turd.

This guy says it "makes his skin crawl?" Well I find it so stirring that mine gets goose flesh every time.

I defy anyone to call this disrespectful or unpatriotic after watching this clip from the '91 All-Star game, at the start of the first Gulf War.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Hawks fans clap and cheer during the anthemn; they don't boo or hiss. The former = praise; The latter = disprespect.

The fact that service members and veterans ("the men and women who fought valiantly to make this country what it is today") take part in this tradition is the ultimate counterpoint to this turd.

This guy says it "makes his skin crawl?" Well I find it so stirring that mine gets goose flesh every time.

I defy anyone to call this disrespectful or unpatriotic after watching this clip from the '91 All-Star game, at the start of the first Gulf War.

And this is coming from somewhere that throws dead fish onto the ice to celebrate...That isn't disrespectful?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
And this is coming from somewhere that throws dead fish onto the ice to celebrate...That isn't disrespectful?

First of all, an octopus is a mollusk. To call it a fish is disrespectful.

Second, throwing an octopus on the ice denies the octopus's family the opportunity for a proper burial, which is very disrespectful to the octopus family.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I think it's up to everyone's personal judgement if it's disrespectful or not.

You're right of course, but what really irks me is that this guy is purporting to speak on behalf of veterans, who regularly take part in the tradition. I bet he's never even been to a VFW fish fry (not that I've served, either).

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
lol just should do away with anthems before games

+1

I've never understood the connection between sports and patriotism. Maybe between 2 nations playing but teams within the same border?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
First of all, an octopus is a mollusk. To call it a fish is disrespectful.

Second, throwing an octopus on the ice denies the octopus's family the opportunity for a proper burial, which is very disrespectful to the octopus family.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

I personally think it's a tribute and get goose bumps everytime I'm there. General Norman Schwarzkopf showed tapes of the Stadium at anthem time to his troops in the Persian Gulf. That's enough approval for me. This was a hot topic on the radio earlier this week. With a few people, taking the 'direspect' side of things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The majority of callers, many from military backgrounds, love it. There was a caller I heard, sounded like an older man, who found it disrespectful and said it brought him to tears. He was taught, as a marine, to not make a peep during the anthem.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
I personally think it's a tribute and get goose bumps everytime I'm there. General Norman Schwarzkopf showed tapes of the Stadium at anthem time to his troops in the Persian Gulf. That's enough approval for me. This was a hot topic on the radio earlier this week. With a few people, taking the 'direspect' side of things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The majority of callers, many from military backgrounds, love it. There was a caller I heard, sounded like an older man, who found it disrespectful and said it brought him to tears. He was taught, as a marine, to not make a peep during the anthem.

That's where I come from on the topic. I was always told that you stand silently during the anthem.

But again, I wouldn't try to enforce that on others. That blogger was a total douche about it.

My wife was always taught to be silent and respect the national anthem. I took her to her first Hawks game in January and she was a little taken aback by the whole thing. but she wasnt really offended, she just wasnt expecting it.

I really hope the Hawks make it to the finals. That place will be shaking.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
I stand quietly in respect, but it doesn't bother me to hear other people cheering. In fact, I enjoy others cheering. I hate people who talk during it or don't stand up.

That is a great point. It is WAY more disrespectful to not acknowledge the importance of the anthem by not standing, or talking during it. Even if one were to disagree with the cheering, at least they are making an effort to show something dedicated to the anthem.

Some people just feel the need to complain. The sad thing is, it is the small minority of people who are "offended" or complain that usually end up getting their way. As the ultra sensitive society that we have become, we let a small amount of whiners control what we do, and we often change against what the majority actually wants.

I have never found it disrespectful. Althought, to be truthful, many in the crowd are just maiking noise for niose sake, and not out of any patriotic feeling. The event has become bigger than the anthem.

I have a hard time having my classes either recite the Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas Pledge, or remaining silent. They also insist on talking instead of remaining silent during the moment of silence. That really annoys me.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I did at first too. Know I kind of like it. It's "our" thing.

I was the opposite. I LOVED it at first... now it's starting to get old. I wish they would just play a different song for different Hawks like they used to. Rock you like a Hurricane for Kaner, Sharp dressed man for Sharp, Johnny be good for Toews etc.. though I haven't been to a game this season, so they might actually still play those songs that I'm not aware of.

Edited by SoxAce