Mitchell tears tendon

chisoxfan09

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
This is a potentially very serious injury. One of the primary functions of the posterior tibialis tendon is to support the arch of the foot. If this tendon isn't functioning properly it could lead to chronic foot problems such as plantar fasciitis. This is the main concern.

If the tendon avulsed from the bone the re-attachment should be fairly easy. If the tear is in the middle of the tendon it is much more difficult. Repairing the actual tendon is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together. They would probably use a type of metal augmentation device to strengthen it. Hopefully it avulsed off the bone and there is an improved chance that he will have no lingering problems.

We will know by how soon they allow him to run on it. Either way it's a 3 to 8 month injury from surgery to rehab to return to play. It will be toward the early end if it came off the bone toward the latter end if it tore mid substance.

Just for the record, I'm not a doctor, I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer by profession.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Much worse.

Achilles tendon repairs are usually successful and if there is residual pain it's isolated to the tendon.

If there is a residual problem with this tendon it not only effects the tendon but many other structures as well. I mention how it supports the arch so foot problems are a worry. Also, this tendon goes through the tarsal tunnel, if you've heard of carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrist/hand, it's a similar structure. If the tendon gets inflamed it can cause numbness/tingling/pain in the bottom of the foot.

This will be a very tricky surgery/rehab.

Thanks for the info, that is good to know.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Ugh....

Thing that pisses me off more is Cora had him in LF and Jared was playing CF the whole ST with Ozzie if I'm not mistaken. But you just can't control injuries and like I said.. it happens all the time especially to prospects reassigned. I'll say this.. I'd rather have a top prospect out than the Twins having Nathan out as far as current plans, not the future. Kid gave it his all/effort to make a spectacular catch in a ST game helping his pitcher/team. Anyone can ask him, and I'm sure he would say he would do the same thing again.

It shouldn't piss you off because it has nothing to do with why he is injured. It was an unavoidable, freak accident.

QUOTE (quickman @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
so I get this is not good for the player, but he is easily two years away from playing in the majors, maybe three. so how does this effect this year again? I mean s*** happens, but lets not blow this thing out of proportion.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
There is some serious overreacting going on here. The kid's career is not over. He's tougher then most baseball players. He's a former LSU football player with off the charts athleticism. He's gonna have surgery and rehab and probably make it back for fall ball full strength. He was on a fast-track for sure with how well he was playing recently, but he's likely still on the 2-year MLB plan just as he was yesterday. He'll be patrolling CF at The Cell in a couple years.

As someone already mentioned, the effect it has on this year's team is that it eliminates one of the Sox best trading chips if they were to be in the market for a big acquisition at some point. It doesn't prevent them from making any huge deals, but it makes it more difficult and lessens their negotiating power to an extent.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
It shouldn't piss you off because it has nothing to do with why he is injured. It was an unavoidable, freak accident.

Well thats why I said right after that is that you can't control injuries. Happens at anytime really.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
This is a potentially very serious injury. One of the primary functions of the posterior tibialis tendon is to support the arch of the foot. If this tendon isn't functioning properly it could lead to chronic foot problems such as plantar fasciitis. This is the main concern.

If the tendon avulsed from the bone the re-attachment should be fairly easy. If the tear is in the middle of the tendon it is much more difficult. Repairing the actual tendon is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together. They would probably use a type of metal augmentation device to strengthen it. Hopefully it avulsed off the bone and there is an improved chance that he will have no lingering problems.

We will know by how soon they allow him to run on it. Either way it's a 3 to 8 month injury from surgery to rehab to return to play. It will be toward the early end if it came off the bone toward the latter end if it tore mid substance.

Just for the record, I'm not a doctor, I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer by profession.

Way to break the stereotype that all Sox fans are drug addicts and criminals. YOu're ruining our image.

Great information thanks...or maybe I should say F#ck! I was getting excited about this guy.