Mitchell tears tendon

chisoxfan09

Posterior tibial tears

"Surgical options may include cleaning away and removing any inflamed tissue around the tendon, realigning the foot bones, fusing some of the bones together or transferring fibers from another healthy tendon to repair the damaged posterior tibial tendon. The orthopaedic surgeon may use just one of these options or a combination of them.

After surgery, a patient is required to wear a cast for at least six to eight weeks. An intensive physical therapy rehabilitation program is also required to strengthen the supporting muscles, increase flexibility and heal the tendon."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Just when I was telling people not to put too much pressure on Jared, this happens.

Very unfortunate, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Injury wise, it's not in a very good area obviously for a speedy guy like Mitchell who relies on his legs.

Surgery wise, I wonder if they'll end up having to put a plate in his ankle, because there have been cases with different people in different sports, where that has become an issue "in terms of pain and hot spots etc." in the following years.

Best case scenario would've been him challenging for an OF spot in 2011. But realistically most believed he needed at least two years (considering how raw he is). Now we're probably looking at 3-4 years. Obviously he loses all of 2010. Then you figure (assuming nothing else outta the blue occurs) that he'll need a full year just to shake off the rust and ill-effects of the surgery in 2011. This really f***ing sucks. I'm so bummed.

Damn!! Now I feel really bad for posting it because I thought I had overreacted with the initial thread title all. Really sorry about that. This kid was having such a good ST getting ready for MILB. I really feel bad.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
Posterior tibial tears

"Surgical options may include cleaning away and removing any inflamed tissue around the tendon, realigning the foot bones, fusing some of the bones together or transferring fibers from another healthy tendon to repair the damaged posterior tibial tendon. The orthopaedic surgeon may use just one of these options or a combination of them.

Ugh....

Thing that pisses me off more is Cora had him in LF and Jared was playing CF the whole ST with Ozzie if I'm not mistaken. But you just can't control injuries and like I said.. it happens all the time especially to prospects reassigned. I'll say this.. I'd rather have a top prospect out than the Twins having Nathan out as far as current plans, not the future. Kid gave it his all/effort to make a spectacular catch in a ST game helping his pitcher/team. Anyone can ask him, and I'm sure he would say he would do the same thing again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
So the big question is will this affect his speed after the normal recovery?

I hope not, but it is dealing with an ankle which is never good. Another question is.. is this a season-ender IF the sox don't want him to push it at all this year, costing him development time. 6-8 weeks, plus therapy which is another few weeks added... not good.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
So the big question is will this affect his speed after the normal recovery?

It sounds like he should be able to be back to full speed, but he will have a higher chance of future problems than someone who hasn't had this injury. I guess you could say that about most injuries though.

It sounds like he should be able to be back to full speed, but he will have a higher chance of future problems than someone who hasn't had this injury. I guess you could say that about most injuries though.

I am no expert Danman so just askin for anyone´s opinion. If the tendon is artificially reattached does that make it more susecptable to re-injury? This really really bites. The kid has so many tools.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
I am no expert Danman so just askin for anyone´s opinion. If the tendon is artificially reattached does that make it more susecptable to re-injury? This really really bites. The kid has so many tools.

I have no idea what I'm talking about other than googling posterior tibial tear. With any surgery there's always the risk of re-injury.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
Posterior tibial tears

After surgery, a patient is required to wear a cast for at least six to eight weeks. An intensive physical therapy rehabilitation program is also required to strengthen the supporting muscles, increase flexibility and heal the tendon."

That's the worst case scenario IMO.

You're basically inserting screws into the ankle joint, and that's something which down the line has the potential to cause issues.

QUOTE (quickman @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
so I get this is not good for the player, but he is easily two years away from playing in the majors, maybe three. so how does this effect this year again? I mean s*** happens, but lets not blow this thing out of proportion.

A major piece in a pre-deadline trade for AGon or someone else may have just significantly diminished in value.

QUOTE (quickman @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
so I get this is not good for the player, but he is easily two years away from playing in the majors, maybe three. so how does this effect this year again? I mean s*** happens, but lets not blow this thing out of proportion.

There is some serious overreacting going on here. The kid's career is not over. He's tougher then most baseball players. He's a former LSU football player with off the charts athleticism. He's gonna have surgery and rehab and probably make it back for fall ball full strength. He was on a fast-track for sure with how well he was playing recently, but he's likely still on the 2-year MLB plan just as he was yesterday. He'll be patrolling CF at The Cell in a couple years.

Who cares? Jared Mitchell was a great prospect, other than his speed, to begin with. He's already shown a propensity to walk, he showed a bit power in college, and he's raw enough that he still has the ability to learn. He's f***ing fine. If he loses a year, is it really a huge deal?

And if he regains his speed, then halle-f***ing-lujah. If not, who cares? He's still a LF/trading piece. He's still a good prospect.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)

no it does not make it more susceptible to re-injury. They will drill into the bone and set a screw into the new tendon fibers that the bone will grow around the screw. It will be in there for sure, a lot of times the replacement ligament is even stronger that the old one but who knows. As far as him getting back to 100% that's a crap shoot, we'll just have to see if he's a good healer or not. Some people heal very quickly and are just fine after an injury and some people are plagued by them the rest of their lives. (i know all this b/c I had to get a new ACL last winter along with several other procedures)

where is PTAC. He is a doctor and I don't think he has chimed in here. I think when the kid is suppose to play on an MLB team he will. Right now this doesn't effect our ballclub. If the padres want to trade in mid year I am sure he is still valuable, considering he wouldn't play MLB for another or two.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
It's gonna REALLY hamper his development time if this is a season ender. Worst case scenario already happen. Now we gotta hope the best case scenario is he's only missing a few weeks and will be good to go around May/June or so. Any type of experience is crucial for him. We also got to hope it isn't one of those surgeries that requires another ligament to be reattached to it or a screw. Ptatc.. you better be around my good man.. ;)

This is true. He's a tool guy who badly needs the development time. This could set him back even more than we could imagine even if he can come back at 100% physically. The only way it has an effect on the 2010 White Sox was if some team might have wanted him in a deadline deal. Teams aren't going to trade for him until they see how he comes back from this.

Edited by Dick Allen