Mitchell tears tendon

chisoxfan09

Ozzie's take from the Tribune:

"Very, very bad," manager Ozzie Guillen said."It's a shame.He has to use his speed.

"It's going to cost him a year at least. The kids is still young. Unfortunately, this happened to him."

chicagotribune.com has some bad editing. The kids is still young?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Ozzie's take from the Tribune:

"Very, very bad," manager Ozzie Guillen said."It's a shame.He has to use his speed.

"It's going to cost him a year at least. The kids is still young. Unfortunately, this happened to him."

chicagotribune.com has some bad editing. The kids is still young?

If it is Ozzie's quote, which we all know how well he speaks English, they really shouldn't edit it.

I like that the kid went balls out in a split squad spring training game. The boy's got game, heart and desire. I think he will work hard play by August, destroy the AFL and Venezuelan winter league and look to make the big club some time in 2011.

It could be a good thing if he was on the KW trade list. It also could be bad if he was on the KW trade watch, depending on how you look at it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
I like that the kid went balls out in a split squad spring training game. The boy's got game, heart and desire. I think he will work hard play by August, destroy the AFL and Venezuelan winter league and look to make the big club some time in 2011.

It could be a good thing if he was on the KW trade list. It also could be bad if he was on the KW trade watch, depending on how you look at it.

That one play exemplified why he was drafted. His athleticism is unparalleled, the entire play was spectacular. From his read of the ball off the bat, to the grand finish that cost him a year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
At his age, this isnt that bad at all, he just misses about 6-9 months of development. Oh well.

It just wipes away all the fast track talk... and possibly sends him down a completely different path in his career. But not bad at all.

I can't see how its anything but bad. He misses a season at a time he needs experience. Running is a huge part of his game. What is the guarantee that he comes back anywhere near 100%?

At a minimum, its something that sets him back a year. There's a decent chance it could be worse than that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
I can't see how its anything but bad. He misses a season at a time he needs experience. Running is a huge part of his game. What is the guarantee that he comes back anywhere near 100%?

At a minimum, its something that sets him back a year. There's a decent chance it could be worse than that.

I agree. He's the Sox #1 prospect in most opinions, a guy with huge upside. His spring play was only reaffirming what this guy could do when he concentrated on baseball. He had always played baseball and football. This was to be the year he became a baseball only guy. As others have mentioned , it's also a huge blow to the organization in regards to landing a big bat before the trade deadline.

Good luck JM with hopes for a full recovery.

QUOTE (quickman @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)
where is PTAC. He is a doctor and I don't think he has chimed in here. I think when the kid is suppose to play on an MLB team he will. Right now this doesn't effect our ballclub. If the padres want to trade in mid year I am sure he is still valuable, considering he wouldn't play MLB for another or two.

This is a potentially very serious injury. One of the primary functions of the posterior tibialis tendon is to support the arch of the foot. If this tendon isn't functioning properly it could lead to chronic foot problems such as plantar fasciitis. This is the main concern.

If the tendon avulsed from the bone the re-attachment should be fairly easy. If the tear is in the middle of the tendon it is much more difficult. Repairing the actual tendon is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together. They would probably use a type of metal augmentation device to strengthen it. Hopefully it avulsed off the bone and there is an improved chance that he will have no lingering problems.

We will know by how soon they allow him to run on it. Either way it's a 3 to 8 month injury from surgery to rehab to return to play. It will be toward the early end if it came off the bone toward the latter end if it tore mid substance.

Just for the record, I'm not a doctor, I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer by profession.

This is a potentially very serious injury. One of the primary functions of the posterior tibialis tendon is to support the arch of the foot. If this tendon isn't functioning properly it could lead to chronic foot problems such as plantar fasciitis. This is the main concern.

If the tendon avulsed from the bone the re-attachment should be fairly easy. If the tear is in the middle of the tendon it is much more difficult. Repairing the actual tendon is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together. They would probably use a type of metal augmentation device to strengthen it. Hopefully it avulsed off the bone and there is an improved chance that he will have no lingering problems.

We will know by how soon they allow him to run on it. Either way it's a 3 to 8 month injury from surgery to rehab to return to play. It will be toward the early end if it came off the bone toward the latter end if it tore mid substance.

Just for the record, I'm not a doctor, I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer by profession.

PTATC, could this injury be potentially similar or worse than an Achilles tendon tear?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
PTATC, could this injury be potentially similar or worse than an Achilles tendon tear?

Much worse.

Achilles tendon repairs are usually successful and if there is residual pain it's isolated to the tendon.

If there is a residual problem with this tendon it not only effects the tendon but many other structures as well. I mention how it supports the arch so foot problems are a worry. Also, this tendon goes through the tarsal tunnel, if you've heard of carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrist/hand, it's a similar structure. If the tendon gets inflamed it can cause numbness/tingling/pain in the bottom of the foot.

This will be a very tricky surgery/rehab.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
He'll be fine, but you'd think he lost his leg by the overreaction going on around here.

He should be with the medical staff the White Sox have but it is far from certainty.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
He'll be fine, but you'd think he lost his leg by the overreaction going on around here.

I don't think showing concern over an individuals injury is an over reaction especially given it's serious nature. Mitchell has huge upside but this type of injury can lead to chronic problems. It could be the difference between having a Carl Crawford type player or a Dwayne Wise. In 9 AB's in spring training he already looked better than Wise ever did with 3 of his 4 hits being for extra bases.

Much worse.

Achilles tendon repairs are usually successful and if there is residual pain it's isolated to the tendon.

If there is a residual problem with this tendon it not only effects the tendon but many other structures as well. I mention how it supports the arch so foot problems are a worry. Also, this tendon goes through the tarsal tunnel, if you've heard of carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrist/hand, it's a similar structure. If the tendon gets inflamed it can cause numbness/tingling/pain in the bottom of the foot.

This will be a very tricky surgery/rehab.

If Contreras injury was of this nature and his surgery was as you explain that would be why hisrecovery was so quick, plus his outstanding conditioning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)

That's what some aren't understanding. He was already probably two years away before this happened. Now losing an enitre year and probably needing another year just to prove he's healthy and shake off the rust pushes his timetable to 3-4 years. And as has been mentioned, you can totally cross his name off any trade list Kenny might have. His value is shot at the moment. This doesn't hurt us for 2010. But it's a huge blow for 2011 and onward.

Really, really a bummer for myself, being a prospect lover. Shame this kid could lose 2 steps at the ripe old age of 21-22. Still a good prospect though, but hopefully he'll be the same freak on the basepaths. I hope the sox can win today to help ease the pain.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
I don't think showing concern over an individuals injury is an over reaction especially given it's serious nature. Mitchell has huge upside but this type of injury can lead to chronic problems. It could be the difference between having a Carl Crawford type player or a Dwayne Wise. In 9 AB's in spring training he already looked better than Wise ever did with 3 of his 4 hits being for extra bases.

And thats why I'm worried...he was already looking like if he kept it up at this pace, he'd be replacing Pierre at leadoff 2 years from now, instead, we'll need a stop gap or have to resign Pierre (which may or may not be a bad thing).

But then again, with the way sports work, for all we know he could heal very well and suddenly dominate next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 03:18 AM)
Who cares? Jared Mitchell was a great prospect, other than his speed, to begin with. He's already shown a propensity to walk, he showed a bit power in college, and he's raw enough that he still has the ability to learn. He's f***ing fine. If he loses a year, is it really a huge deal?

And if he regains his speed, then halle-f***ing-lujah. If not, who cares? He's still a LF/trading piece. He's still a good prospect.

That was something else I was thinking too. At least this is not Jerry Owens we are talking about here where speed is his only strength. Mitchell can lose a step, but still be a 25 HR guy with a solid .380+ OBP, even if he can only steal 10-15 bases instead of 30+.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
And thats why I'm worried...he was already looking like if he kept it up at this pace, he'd be replacing Pierre at leadoff 2 years from now, instead, we'll need a stop gap or have to resign Pierre (which may or may not be a bad thing).

But then again, with the way sports work, for all we know he could heal very well and suddenly dominate next year.

Resigning Pierre would be a REALLY, REALLY bad thing. Having to trade for him in the first place was a bad thing. I don't want to think about what he'll be two years from now. We're forced to take on reclamation projects, stopgaps and just bad players in general (Erstad) because of the inability to develop players from within. Hopefully Jordan Danks comes through.

Edited by Jordan4life