NIT

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
Illinois playing in this will be the biggest embarrassment for the program in a very long time outside of the Eric Gordon fiasco. A rare really bad/unlucky/whatever season like 2008 happens, but two times in three years, and now in the NIT? What a hard pill to swallow.

I can't wait for the first round NIT loss. I don't see any way with the personality of the players on this team that they show up for this game. Mike Davis shouldn't even get off the bus because you know he won't be showing up. Well maybe this will teach him (because he is by far the biggest culprit) to take every game seriously.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I can't wait for the first round NIT loss. I don't see any way with the personality of the players on this team that they show up for this game. Mike Davis shouldn't even get off the bus because you know he won't be showing up. Well maybe this will teach him (because he is by far the biggest culprit) to take every game seriously.

I would think they'll learn a lesson from this. As much as the collapse down the stretch hurt, they'd probably be in had they shown max effort in certain bad losses earlier this season, because those are games they'd have won had they done so. I hope (and think) you are right about the first round NIT loss. Just get out of there as fast as possible.

I would love for somebody to explain to me why the NIT and other loser tournaments exist. Well, I guess that's a dumb question since the answer is they must make money. But other than that, talk about pointless. This isn't like football where going to the crap.com bowl at least gets you more practice, which is of the essence in that sport.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Illinois fans are hilarious.

Because I don't wanna read people on Illinois message boards getting all fired up over games that mean absolutely nothing and act like winning games in the NIT will actually bode well for next season?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
?? It's not?

I don't think practice is nearly as relevant to a basketball team, who only has 12 or 13 players and over 30 games, as it is to a football team, who has 12 games and 85 guys on scholarship to decipher between. Not even comparable.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Illinois fans are hilarious.

How so?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Your team didn't make the NCAA tournament.. it sucks, I know. There's nothing fun about missing the field of 65. However, does that mean you shouldn't give a s*** about playing in the NIT? It's still college basketball, and it's still one of the best sports around. I know it's tough to play in a tournament that supposedly doesn't matter, but god damn.. there's no reason you shouldn't be supporting your team still.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Your team didn't make the NCAA tournament.. it sucks, I know. There's nothing fun about missing the field of 65. However, does that mean you shouldn't give a s*** about playing in the NIT? It's still college basketball, and it's still one of the best sports around. I know it's tough to play in a tournament that supposedly doesn't matter, but god damn.. there's no reason you shouldn't be supporting your team still.

There is not a single good reason anybody at Illinois should be supporting, paying attention to, or even watching their NIT games. Illinois won or shared 4 Big Ten Championships in 5 years to start the last decade (and lost a streak of 5 in a row by less than a second at Wisconsin), and now they've missed 2 big dances in 3 years and are in the NIT. Supporting these NIT games is supporting meaningless games, mediocrity, and a program which has had a shocking dropoff since Bruce Weber recruits took it over. There is absolutely no reason to do it, and nothing that happens next year, good or bad, can be traced to these games unless somebody suffers a terrible injury.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
There is not a single good reason anybody at Illinois should be supporting, paying attention to, or even watching their NIT games. Illinois won or shared 4 Big Ten Championships in 5 years to start the last decade (and lost a streak of 5 in a row by less than a second at Wisconsin), and now they've missed 2 big dances in 3 years and are in the NIT. Supporting these NIT games is supporting meaningless games, mediocrity, and a program which has had a shocking dropoff since Bruce Weber recruits took it over. There is absolutely no reason to do it, and nothing that happens next year, good or bad, can be traced to these games unless somebody suffers a terrible injury.

So what you're saying is that you're spoiled?

I really have nothing against the Illini program. I rooted for them throughout high school, as my brother went there and I was hoping to go there. But your sense of entitlement is ridiculous, and frankly, annoying as s***. It reminds me way too much of Kentucky fans when they had Tubby Smith, which I never really understood. It sucks to miss the tournament, but why not support your team as they try to win the NIT? I don't care if it's a 'meaningless tournament,' your team is still playing games and you should still support them.

I don't even give a s*** about entitlement or being spoiled. Quite frankly I know our program isn't that good, but even if it was an awful program I still wouldn't be interested in a meaningless tournament that PLAYERS DONT GET UP FOR

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
So what you're saying is that you're spoiled?

I really have nothing against the Illini program. I rooted for them throughout high school, as my brother went there and I was hoping to go there. But your sense of entitlement is ridiculous, and frankly, annoying as s***. It reminds me way too much of Kentucky fans when they had Tubby Smith, which I never really understood. It sucks to miss the tournament, but why not support your team as they try to win the NIT? I don't care if it's a 'meaningless tournament,' your team is still playing games and you should still support them.

It's not a sense of entitlement as much as logic. Illinois is a school that has the resources to where two years out of the NCAA Tournament out of three is embarassing and unacceptable, especially considering the run it was on beforehand. It shows Bruce Weber is doing a lousy job, and the program is in a decline that hopefully people like Jereme Richmond can turn around. Illinois isn't nearly Duke or Kansas, but for it to be in the NIT is an embarrassment. It feels far worse than two years ago, where at least they didn't have to bother playing in waste of time postseason games. Additionally, I don't see why playing for the right to be the 66th best team in America should be considered relevant or worth the two hours to watch.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
That sounds an awful lot like entitlement.

I go to NIU, and if they made the NIT, I would not watch a second of it. I wouldn't be mad about them in the NIT since that'd be a big step up for that crappy basketball program, but i still wouldn't watch. So I don't buy entitlement.

I don't get not wanting to watch your team when they're playing, regardless of whether it's the NIT or they're playing some s***ty mid-major that has no chance of winning. When the Gophers made the NIT a few years ago, you bet your ass I watched our only game in it and I most certainly rooted for the Gophers. I'm not in the business of ignoring my team while they're playing, EVEN IF the games ultimately mean nothing.