Unis

typewritermender

I'm utterly shocked that EVERYONE loves this uniform. Did you guys all drink the same koolaid? To me it (specifically the black alt) doesn't look classic at all. It looks extremely nineties when having a black gang uniform was cool. The away grays I don't mind. The home pins are indeed classic--but that's just cause they're pinstriped and bland. What about the old navy & white with the "C" hat? What about the light blue & red? I think these were all good looking uniforms. I mean our colors are BLACK and WHITE. yawn.

I'm NOT saying go crazy and add rainbow stripes. I'm not even advocating the sock in the infield logo :gosox4: , or the batter with the SOX under him. :gosoxretro: Just something NEW. And that NEW can even harken back to something OLD for all I care.

Anyway feel free to close this discussion because EVERYONE seems to disagree with me, which is very bizarre. Just thought we could talk about what might be next. But that clearly won't happen :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm utterly shocked that EVERYONE loves this uniform. Did you guys all drink the same koolaid? To me it (specifically the black alt) doesn't look classic at all. It looks extremely nineties when having a black gang uniform was cool. The away grays I don't mind. The home pins are indeed classic--but that's just cause they're pinstriped and bland. What about the old navy & white with the "C" hat? What about the light blue & red? I think these were all good looking uniforms. I mean our colors are BLACK and WHITE. yawn.

I'm NOT saying go crazy and add rainbow stripes. I'm not even advocating the sock in the infield logo :gosox4: , or the batter with the SOX under him. :gosoxretro: Just something NEW. And that NEW can even harken back to something OLD for all I care.

Anyway feel free to close this discussion because EVERYONE seems to disagree with me, which is very bizarre. Just thought we could talk about what might be next. But that clearly won't happen :(

You got all kinds of discussion. Just not the agreement you were looking for. That's what happens on message boards. Apparently to you, that means everyone else is drinking "the same koolaid".

And you think they are boring because they are black and white? This is, ya know, the WHITE Sox we are discussing here. Not, say the Cubs, whose main color is blue.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)

You dont think the unis look classic, but they clearly borrow from many of the past classic(some hideous) uniforms in the best way possible, that is the bizarre thing here. You dont want rainbow stripes, socks in the logo, or the old batter man in the logo, but you want something new. What do you want? They should not change the color scheme, considering they are the white sox, and not blue green purple or yellow socks.

Im glad they are staying with what they have. There are some classic uniforms(Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Cubs, Kansas City, Twins, Reds, Cardinals) that have all gone through very minor variations and they still look great.

Right but they're not the "black sox." For their aways and alternates the only "WHITE" in the uni is the logo. I'm not sure how "they're not the blue sox" et al. is an argument. Historically they've had plenty of blue & red in their unis.

For the record, I'm not mad & I'm not trying to antagonize anybody. But I am legitimately shocked that I'm the only person that's tired of the unis. Zat is all

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Right but they're not the "black sox." For their aways and alternates the only "WHITE" in the uni is the logo. I'm not sure how "they're not the blue sox" et al. is an argument. Historically they've had plenty of blue & red in their unis.

For the record, I'm not mad & I'm not trying to antagonize anybody. But I am legitimately shocked that I'm the only person that's tired of the unis. Zat is all

But black is the opposite of white, and grey is a mix of black and white, so having jerseys that are black and grey along with white works fine with me. In fact, it makes sense to me to have a black jersey instead of any other colored jersey because black is basically the absense of white, hell, the black jersey is almost like a photo-negative of a white jersey, which is so cool. :)

So that's why I'm against seeing the sox use a blue jersey, because it's not the opposite of white or the absense of white like black is, blue is a completely different color. And just because they used blue jerseys in the past doesn't mean it's a good idea. I bet a lot of people during that time were probably like "Why does the White Sox wear a blue and red jersey? They're the WHITE sox."

Also, as for red, I think it'd be best for the white sox to avoid red because there's already the RED Sox. I think too many casual fans that doesn't follow baseball might mistake the white sox for the red sox if they saw red in our jerseys, then we'll always be in Boston's shadow.

Also, another thing about the black jersey. I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago, and I've spent a lot of time in the South Side of Chicago, and I never ventured to the North Side and rarely went to any north side suburbs, but the black alternate jersey hits the spot for me because it just screams SOUTH SIDE. It captures the grittiness, the can't-tell-the-good-guys-apart-from-the-bad-guys, the overshadowed-by-the-northside-chips-on-shoulders, the no-nonsenseness, and the general feel of the South Side.

Any other colored uniform would negate that feeling and it would feel like I'm watching another Cubs broadcast.

Black and white with our logo is a winner. Home whites and road grays. Lose the black tops. Stability and consistency are what makes a team recognizable and remembered. A timeless look. Keep it for a few generations so our sons and daughters and their kids can relate better to the same team we do.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)

Quite frankly, who cares what color their name implies. The black tops are sharp and have a nice modern look, the pinstripes are almost throw backs to '59 (minus the red trim, add names), and the grey's are pretty sweet looking too.

And red or blue is a stupid idea, because of the 30 MLB teams, 23 have red or blue as one of their main colors.

The remaining 7:

White Sox (Black, White, Silver)

Tigers (Black, White, Orange)

Orioles (Black, White Orange)

Giants (Black, White, Orange)

Colorado Rockies (Black, White, Purple)

Pirates (Black, White, Yellow)

Athletics (Green, Yellow, White)

So the Tigers, Orioles, and Giants all share the same color scheme...

That leaves around 4 fairly unique color schemes, the Sox, Rockies, Pirates, Athletics.

Leave it the way it is, I hate when all the teams colors begin to just be varying shades of a color.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Quite frankly, who cares what color their name implies. The black tops are sharp and have a nice modern look, the pinstripes are almost throw backs to '59 (minus the red trim, add names), and the grey's are pretty sweet looking too.

And red or blue is a stupid idea, because of the 30 MLB teams, 23 have red or blue as one of their main colors.

The remaining 7:

White Sox (Black, White, Silver)

Tigers (Black, White, Orange)

Orioles (Black, White Orange)

Giants (Black, White, Orange)

Colorado Rockies (Black, White, Purple)

Pirates (Black, White, Yellow)

Athletics (Green, Yellow, White)

So the Tigers, Orioles, and Giants all share the same color scheme...

That leaves around 4 fairly unique color schemes, the Sox, Rockies, Pirates, Athletics.

Leave it the way it is, I hate when all the teams colors begin to just be varying shades of a color.

Yankees? When do they wear a color besides white, black, and gray? I know they have color in their yankee hat logo, but they dont use it.

Even though it technically is, I don't really consider navy blue to be "blue" for whatever reason. I mean, you can say the Cubs and Twins both have red and blue jerseys, but their blues are vastly different.

That being said, navy has been done to death too. Yankees, Rays, Tigers, Indians, Twins, Mariners, Braves, Nationals, Brewers, and Padres all use some sort of navy in them. And I seem to recall the Cards use it too.

Also, I would say that the Astros don't use red or blue either, but they fall right along the Halloween colors of the Giants and Orioles with their orange and black unis, though their orange is more of a red-orange.

Back on topic, the Sox jerseys are money.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)

I think when they did the change, Sox apparel was in the top 5 in sales.

If they did change the unis, I would rather them revert back to the red pinstripes. That was a great looking. Those softball uniforms almost bring shame to be a Sox fan.