Elijah Dukes cut by Nats

Steve9347

The Nats said that his cutting was baseball related. I posted this in the catch-all thread and I'll repeat it here.

There's no "baseball related" reason on their roster to release him. The only replacements on their roster as OF's are Justin Maxwell (Kinda young, career .793 minor league OPS), Chris Duncan, Willie Harris (group 4!), Willie Taveras, or moving another player there.

General manager Mike Rizzo called the release "a performance-based decision" but also implied Dukes's place in the clubhouse adversely affected the Nationals. Rizzo said the Nationals "will be a more cohesive, united group" without Dukes.

"The clubhouse will be more united," Rizzo said. "We'll have a better feel around the ballclub. We'll gain just by that alone."

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
General manager Mike Rizzo called the release "a performance-based decision" but also implied Dukes's place in the clubhouse adversely affected the Nationals. Rizzo said the Nationals "will be a more cohesive, united group" without Dukes.

"The clubhouse will be more united," Rizzo said. "We'll have a better feel around the ballclub. We'll gain just by that alone."

And they'll still lose 100 games. But they'll be more united! I know we would never look at Dukes. Kenny has developed an obsession with "character" guys. But I'd take Dukes in a second over Juan Pierre.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
For a while, the Nats has Lastings Milledge in that outfield as well, what a coaches dream.

Wasn't he penned as the Nats' starting OFer last spring but didn't make it through May? And the All-Star ballot was already written by then so he was on the ballot while having only played like 4 games? I remember the Nats fans trying to 'stick it to the system' by voting for him to start in the All-Star game despite him being in AA... too bad all 17 of their fans weren't enough.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
Wasn't he penned as the Nats' starting OFer last spring but didn't make it through May? And the All-Star ballot was already written by then so he was on the ballot while having only played like 4 games? I remember the Nats fans trying to 'stick it to the system' by voting for him to start in the All-Star game despite him being in AA... too bad all 17 of their fans weren't enough.

No, that was an internet craze to try and prove how stupid fan voting is.