Teahen's struggles...

JPN366

If he continues to struggle, what happens?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Teahen

• Platoons with Nix.
    • You know, Retherford can play third...as can Viciedo...Morel too.
    • Nothing, hits 9th, brings the D.
    • More at bats for Vizquel!
    • It's just Spring Training.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
One of his outs about smashed the kneecap of the pitcher.

i saw that, looked like it was headed to cf for a hit. it would be huge if he could start getting it back together here because even though its st, i was starting to get worried because he looked lost

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
ST or not, the Sox have been mired in major offensive suckage the last 2 games. At least Teahen got 1 of the four hits. Sorry the run scored was un-earned and I can't put those nightmare lack of effort/offense 10 shutouts out of my head from last year. Especially to AAA rejects.

You should probably learn to seperate the two. Plus, different season, different lineup.

QUOTE (11and1 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
As I said elsewhere, I was referring to the extension Teahen received after the trade.

Don't see how my comments on Teahen's disappointing spring, nor my response to the assertion that he's a great "minor league" player, in any way "demonizes" him.

All I said was I think he's been mediocre as a major league player.

Maybe that makes him a mediocre demon....bottom line is he needs to be at least solid for this team to succeed.

No one will be happier than me if he lights it up starting April 5th.

Not sure if you meant it to sound that way, but this is the old No-Lose Proposition: you get to say you think a guy isn't very good, but you will be happy if he does. That way if he stinks, you get to say " I told ya so," but if he's good, you get to be happy he was good.

Now, I think Teahen will be serviceable at the very least and I think the new situation should end up helping him (this is a much different situation than it was for him in KC). I also think it is FAR too early to say they've overpaid for him. He's making less than $4 mil this year and when the contract is in its final year (2 years from now) he'll only be making $5.5 mil. that really isn't much at all. Oh, and he hasn't even played a single regular season game for them yet.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
Not sure if you meant it to sound that way, but this is the old No-Lose Proposition: you get to say you think a guy isn't very good, but you will be happy if he does. That way if he stinks, you get to say " I told ya so," but if he's good, you get to be happy he was good.

I wasn't aware this discussion was a zero-sum game.

Can't we all be happy if Teahen performs? Even though some of us think(as of last week) he may not?

This "No-Lose" theory only holds water only if you will be happy if he tanks, thus vindicating your POV.

Of course I'll be happy if he does well--even if it's necessary to tell me "I told ya so".

No, if he does well--and thankfully it appears he's headed in that direction--it will be a happy surprise.

Can't we all be happy if Teahen performs? Even though some of us think(as of last week) he may not?

I'll be mighty happy if he performs. People are wrong all the time and I hope I'm wrong.

I was watching the NCAA expert panel before the Kansas State-Butler game. All picked Kansas State. Butler won going away at the end.

Nobody had the Final Four right or even close to being right. So I will gladly be wrong about Teahen, Rios, Omar, Pierre.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:18 AM)
I'll be mighty happy if he performs. People are wrong all the time and I hope I'm wrong.

I was watching the NCAA expert panel before the Kansas State-Butler game. All picked Kansas State. Butler won going away at the end.

Nobody had the Final Four right or even close to being right. So I will gladly be wrong about Teahen, Rios, Omar, Pierre.

Except for this guy....

http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=5321138

And about 90 others just on ESPN.

:headbang

QUOTE (11and1 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
I wasn't aware this discussion was a zero-sum game.

This "No-Lose" theory only holds water only if you will be happy if he tanks, thus vindicating your POV.

Of course I'll be happy if he does well--even if it's necessary to tell me "I told ya so".

No, if he does well--and thankfully it appears he's headed in that direction--it will be a happy surprise.

I agree with you. This is a White Sox fan message board. I really don't think anyone on here really wants anybody to be bad just so they can say I told you so. I'm pretty sure we would all like the Sox to go 173-0 this year. Different opinions spark discussion. If everyone thought the exact same way it would be a pretty boring board.

Besides if there is some zero sum game as Ranger suggests, there's also the I told you so the other way.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/credejo01.shtml

9th column from the right. Remember: baseball-reference.com is your best baseball friend

Reminded me that he was truly the '05 playoff MVP ... especially when you factor in the glove. Hopefully he ends-up in our front office somewhere

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 06:54 AM)
I agree with you. This is a White Sox fan message board. I really don't think anyone on here really wants anybody to be bad just so they can say I told you so. I'm pretty sure we would all like the Sox to go 173-0 this year. Different opinions spark discussion. If everyone thought the exact same way it would be a pretty boring board.

Besides if there is some zero sum game as Ranger suggests, there's also the I told you so the other way.

It doesn't really go the other way, because I don't feel that way at all. I think there are plenty of people that always automatically assume the negative and take some sort of pride in being right about something going badly, only to be able to also get to celebrate with everyone else if things go well. My apologies if that's not true for you, but don't think there aren't a lot of people like that.

That's ridiculous. The board as consensus pretty much knew 07 was going to be pretty awful, it didn't make 07 any easier.

There's few told you so moments, in 05 the battle over those throwing up the flag when cleveland was steaming behind and those rally crede-ing did create some ha-ha's when we wrapped up the division (nobody cared when we won the WS).

It's pretty easy to understand this message board. YOu have thousands of posters who are really passionate about their team and want to read about them constantly. We do this because you want to be able to understand the team. We want to be able to understand why we are doing well, or why we are failing, because it's fun to understand.

But these predictions don't have any control over the emotions of the season. IF we win, we are happy. If we lose, we are unhappy. If we thought we'd be bad and are, we are still unhappy. If we thought we'd be bad and are good, we are still happy.

A lot of these people Ranger is classifying as can be negative about anyone to no consequences because they'll just celebrate anyway if they are good, well yeah. They are able to celebrate because most all of us here invest in this team through watching games and merchandise. We don't NOT follow the team and then follow when they are great, our investment in this team at any level is enough to be able to celebrate the success. We don't all need to fool ourselves to think everything about this team will work out just so then if it does we can celebrate it guilt free. Guilt would come from celebrating the team when we don't know a damn thing about them.

Hmph.

Teahen has not had the most spectacular spring, but there may be an explanation: He has been battling a sore right (throwing) elbow throughout. Mix a less than healthy elbow with the pressure of trying to impress your new team and it's not a great combination. The good news is that Teahen's elbow seems to have taken a turn for the better, and he recently delivered his first home run of the spring. Nonetheless, there is concern that the symptoms could act up if he overdoes it, so the name of the game is balance. The hope is that this will not linger into the season.

-- Stephania Bell