Mauer Twins agree to 8 year deal

kev211

Good for them and good for the game of baseball. Seems like they did pretty well committing 8 years rather than the rumored 10. Given that Tex got 8 and $180M this seems about right. It's the fourth highest sum of money committed to one player in baseball history behind only Arod's 2 deals ($275M and $252) and Jeter ($189M).

A ton of money for a guy who plays a position where a real breakdown is possibility before the deal is up. That being said, no way you couldn't resign him if you are the Twins, they had to give him his $$. Scary, but Mauer signed cheaply, on the free agent market, he could have gotten more.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
A ton of money for a guy who plays a position where a real breakdown is possibility before the deal is up. That being said, no way you couldn't resign him if you are the Twins, they had to give him his $$. Scary, but Mauer signed cheaply, on the free agent market, he could have gotten more.

Even if 4 years from now they had to move him from the catcher's position he'd just be one of the best hitters in the game at some other position, while still in his early 30's and making about as much as your average great 1B.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)

I don't think he'll be catching by the time this deal if half over, let alone all the way over. Just one mans opinion though, and I think it's good for baseball the Twins kept Mauer, even if it's bad for us.

I dont know if I'm on board with all the "it's good for baseball" talk. The Twins arent Pittsburgh. They lose a big name and then use a variety of means to field a good team despite that loss.

As far as him being a hometown guy, I dont know if it's great for baseball that hometown guys play 15 yrs with their childhood team. It's nice to hear about but not necessarily some important, great thing.

You could argue the Yankees getting better is good for baseball. I am not prepared to create that argument at this time, nor do I know I want to. but it can be done.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
You could argue the Yankees getting better is good for baseball. I am not prepared to create that argument at this time, nor do I know I want to. but it can be done.

Saying "You can argue" something doesn't mean you can argue it well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Saying "You can argue" something doesn't mean you can argue it well.

Oh, I think that's probably one of the best arguments regarding baseball that one can make.

The Yankees are absolutely fantastic for baseball, and for the rest of the MLB teams.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
horray!

that is all

C'mon Jim.. show alittle more emotion than that. :P

Great news for Minny and the game of baseball. Dude will probably be a future HOF and has a chance to play the rest of his career in his home state. Find it cool his agent also represented Ripken Jr. and Puckett who played their careers on one team too.

Ivan Rodriguez has played 2,288 games and 19,159.1 innings at catcher in his career. He put up an .893 OPS in his age 32 season and put up a .735 (94 OPS+) and .769 (97 OPS+) in his age 33 and 34 seasons, and he doesn't walk. It was in his age 35 season when IRod finally started tailing off. Joe Mauer is entering his age 27 season, which would put him as being very productive still 5 years through the contract and relatively productive in years 6 and 7, ceteris paribus. Further, his lowest walk total in a full season - 57 - is higher than Ivan Rodriguez's highest walk total in a full season - 55.

Regardless of whether or not the Twins move Mauer from the catcher position, to 3B or 1B or LF or to f***ing DH, he's almost certainly going to justify the contract because he's just that good. The only concern is injury, and it's most definitely a legitimate concern. Considering how banged up the Twins tend to get over the course of a year, it might be wise of them to get the absolute best training, strength and conditioning, and medical staff they can to just keep Mauer in shape, as well as the rest of the team.

seems like a huge % of their payroll to shell out to 1 guy...but they didnt have much of a choice....IMO this could really, really hamper them in 4 years...8 year deals IMO are just too long to pay a guy 23 mil per, especially when their payroll hasn't gone north of 70 mil until this year...

they better hope they keep getting absurd contributions from their farm systems

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
The biggest hope for the Sox is that with the big jump in payroll, they aren't able to put as much in their minor league system.

Have they ever been big spenders in their minor league system though? Mauer was drafted because he was cheaper than Prior. Santana was a rule 5 steal. Nathan and Liriano were swiped in the AJ deal. Morneau was only a 3rd round pick. If you go to the lower guys...Span wasn't exactly a huge money guy. Garza didn't break the bank when they drafted him. Their whole bullpen is made up of guys swiped at low-cost deals, half of them at one time were in the Sox org. They're not exactly signing Strasburg/Chapman type deals to get where they are.