2010 Preview: Corner Infielders

danman31

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
No first basemen, that worries me with PK aging in front of our eyes, (no more of the late 30's career resurgences since the roid testing started)

Tell me again why we traded chris carter and brandon allen.

Viciedo is basically a 1B at this point. Marrero can also play there, though he's spent most of his time recently in the outfield.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Viciedo is basically a 1B at this point. Marrero can also play there, though he's spent most of his time recently in the outfield.

he is a 1b, and he had a terrible spring. was very unimpressive

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Viciedo? Or Marrero?

That implies Viciedo, and from everything I've read from people who saw him play, it sounds very reasonable. The kid is still rather raw. From the sounds of it, he's having trouble hitting breaking balls rather than fastballs. It's obviously not good, but I'd rather a player struggle with good breaking balls than fastballs due to the "you can't teach speed" argument. If you can't catch up to a major league fastball, you're screwed, but with work and coaching you can learn how to read and hit breaking pitches. Having him in AAA wouldn't be a bad thing mainly because of the seasoning that a lot of those pitchers have. If he hits there, I have to imagine people will start to feel quite a bit better about him.

I know the piece states that it's a make or break year for him, but I don't know exactly how I feel about that. I think next year is closer to a make or break year for him, but even then I don't think it is. Kendry Morales signed as a 22 year old, and he spent 4 seasons in the minors (although he hit very well in all 4 of them). At this point in time, I don't think the Sox are in any rush to get Viciedo up to the big leagues, just so long as he's up before the 4th year of his contract is over.