ST: vs Giants

flavum

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
That's exactly why I brought up Soriano's name in the "Andruw Jones" thread. He hit .325/.375/.613/.988 with 6 HR last spring. Then he came north, breaking balls started breaking and he finished with an OPS just over .700.

I can't believe Soriano was barely over .700. Really? That is pretty poor. Despite hitting only .220 or so, didn't Andruw almost have an OPS of .800?

Edited by BFirebird

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
That's exactly why I brought up Soriano's name in the "Andruw Jones" thread. He hit .325/.375/.613/.988 with 6 HR last spring. Then he came north, breaking balls started breaking and he finished with an OPS just over .700.

BA is currently hitting .400 with a 1.090 OPS. Thats even better than his .324BA with the 1.021 OPS he had in 07. Arizona ST is where legends live.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
I can't believe Soriano was barely over .700. Really? That is pretty poor. Despite hitting only .220 or so, didn't Andruw almost have an OPS of .800?

Soriano was at .723 for the season. I saw that you said ''Despite hitting only .220 or so, didn't Andruw almost have an OPS of .900?'' ... rather than the .800.

Anyway jones last day with an ops of .900 or great was july 30th... he finished the season at .782.

If you want to throw out the numbers on Jones, fine. But the fact is he's still only 33. He's lost a lot of weight. He looks good in the outfield. And he's hitting the ball to all fields. I'm optimistic he'll be a productive player for the Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
If you want to throw out the numbers on Jones, fine. But the fact is he's still only 33. He's lost a lot of weight. He looks good in the outfield. And he's hitting the ball to all fields. I'm optimistic he'll be a productive player for the Sox.

Except there's counterpoints to all of those:

He's 33: well, he's an old 33, dude's been in the majors for 14 years and has undergone knee surgery within the past 2 seasons

He's lots weight: this wouldn't be the first time he's lost a bunch of weight in the offseason and had a dud of a season at the plate, that very scenario took place in 2007

He's hitting the ball to all fields: he has 10 hits, a.) how many of those do you actually know the final destination of the ball and b.) it's 10 f***ing hits

He looks good in the outfield: he's played 11 games a.) how many of those games did he play the outfield and how many innings of those games did he play, b.) how many of those games have you actually seen, c.) it's March and d.) it's 11 f***ing games

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)

Andruw Jones has been about 1000 times better in baseball than Soriano. Thats why there is actually hope for him to produce.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
Andruw Jones has been about 1000 times better in baseball than Soriano. Thats why there is actually hope for him to produce.

Did you see Soriano's 2006 season?

Yes, all of the other things given, but come on. Give the guy some credit.

Jeez, take it easy. I've seen a few games, and he's done what I described. If I want to be optimistic, that's what I'll be. I'm not saying Jones will hit .280 with 35 homers, and 100 RBI's, but I think he'll be productive. Time will tell.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I couldn't stand watching Pods get picked off. I'll take Juan.

Pierre's still going to get picked off about 8 times this year, they'll be more palatable because half of them will be on throws over when he's going on first move as opposed to the Pods special of being caught standing around holding his dick.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Soriano had a slightly higher wOBA and stole 37 more bases than Andruw.

Offensively soriano was better, as a whole jones had the better season due to his defense. Soriano was very solid that season defensively also, but really he always (contrary to common belief) has been a good outfielder. Though last year his head appeared to be up his ass, in every facet of the game.

I may be in the minority but i think jones has the ability to still be a premier defender if given the chance. As recently as 2007 he recorded a 21.7 UZR. I think he can honestly benefit us more in the field than he will offensively this upcoming season. Jones has been nothing short of magnificent every year defensively prior to 2008. It should be noted that i am taking in consideration his knee surgery and his 14 years in the league, despite only being 33. Baseball IQ has a lot to due with it, something jones does not lack whilst in the field. Jones has never been the fastest (had plus speed in his early to mid 20's), instead he has always relied on stellar jumps on the ball, with even better reads off the bat.

Jones is the best our generation has ever seen, and arguably the best ever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Andruw did have 130 RBI's and stellar defense.

Rbi's is a weak argument. Rbi's are dependent on those in front of you, where you bat in the line-up, how often those in front of you get on, etc, etc, etc. Simply put, rbi's are team depended.

Nice recent article here.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/03/13...-feliz-houston/