Buddy Bell conference call

danman31

Buddy Bell talks Danks' defense, Knights Stadium and others

The White Sox hosted a conference call for Web sites and blogs with Director of Player Development Buddy Bell. Among the topics discussed were Jordan Danks' defense and Charlotte making adjustments to their stadium. Here's the cliff notes version of what he said.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Yeah, but take into account how many times we've heard this now. His defense must really be something for him to receive so much praise.

Yeah, this isn't a case of a minor league instructor simply hyping up one of his kids. You can go to any prospect site out there and they all pretty much conclude JD is a pretty gifted CF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
Yeah, this isn't a case of a minor league instructor simply hyping up one of his kids. You can go to any prospect site out there and they all pretty much conclude JD is a pretty gifted CF.

I am not disputing he is a great CF, but I want to see people other than his farm director, manager, or best friend saying this stuff as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
We havent had a chance to see him much in CF in spring which sucks.

And to me, this looks like upping his value for a trade to be honest. He would be included in any major transaction most likely.

I dunno. With Mitchell going down, I think they are planning on using Danks next season in CF.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
I dunno. With Mitchell going down, I think they are planning on using Danks next season in CF.

I have yet to hear a single person knock D2's play in CF. The thing against him is always the big hole in his swing. His defense gets mad raves.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
I am not disputing he is a great CF, but I want to see people other than his farm director, manager, or best friend saying this stuff as well.

He is a tremendous defensive player.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
I don't think anyone can honestly deny Danks defensive prowess. The problem is determining whether he's a 4th OF or if he can hit enough to start in CF. I'm in the 4th OF boat, but hopefully he can prove me wrong this year in AA.

I think they're sending him to Charlotte, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was back in B'ham at least for a month or two.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
He is a tremendous defensive player.

Yes. You've seen him in person more than I have, but having seen him myself I know it's not hype. I wouldn't say best in minors because I haven't seen everybody else, but he's certainly a very good CFer.

if he can truly go and get it like they say he can, then IMO Danks is a much better prospect than most people realize.....

in fact I would say a fair major league comparison could be a young Mark Kotsay...who was a significantly better player than most people realize

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
if he can truly go and get it like they say he can, then IMO Danks is a much better prospect than most people realize.....

in fact I would say a fair major league comparison could be a young Mark Kotsay...who was a significantly better player than most people realize

NOOOOOOOOO i hate mark kotsay!!

i say danks twice last week and he was impressive, previously i was not a fan. and the sox think he will hit, they project him to be a 280 hitter, with 15 hrs and 20 sbs. this wasnt public talk trying to bump up his trade value, this was just me talking to the scouts in private conversations. in addition, they are unanimous in his defensive ability and great instincts

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)

i say danks twice last week and he was impressive, previously i was not a fan. and the sox think he will hit, they project him to be a 280 hitter, with 15 hrs and 20 sbs. this wasnt public talk trying to bump up his trade value, this was just me talking to the scouts in private conversations. in addition, they are unanimous in his defensive ability and great instincts

who are you???? lol you always have some kind of scoop.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)

At one point in time, Mark Kotsay was an absolute beast on defense and an above average offensive player. So yeah, if Danks can turn into Kotsay, I'd be fine with it.

I'm not a scout, but I've watched a fair bit of video with Danks at the plate... and his "problem" seems pretty obvious to me.

He pulls his head off the ball.

It's sort of frustrating to watch actually, because it happens so consistently.

Seems logical that has alot to do with his contact problems... because his walk rates suggest he doesn't have a problem with his batting eye. In fact, his judgment on what is a ball or strike seems excellent.

But once he starts his swing mechanics, you can see there is a point about midway where his head pulls away... almost inevitably leading to a swing and a miss.

I'd have to believe the coaches have identified this and are helping him with it.

If he gets that fixed and increases his contact rate as a result, I think he has a really good shot at MLB. If he doesn't, not much chance he'll be more than a fringe player.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
At one point in time, Mark Kotsay was an absolute beast on defense and an above average offensive player. So yeah, if Danks can turn into Kotsay, I'd be fine with it.

the comparison the scouts make is andy van slyke