SOXTALK'S BOLD PREDICTIONS

knightni

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Ozzie won't be punished for any remarks this year.

2. Jake Peavy goes 24-3 and wins the AL Cy Young.

3. White Sox trade for Jim Thome in a move that spurs us to a playoff run.

4. Jim Thome hits GW HR in game 163 against what is now his former team, the Twins.

5. Sox win the World Series over the Cubs.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
1. Ozzie won't be punished for any remarks this year.

2. Jake Peavy goes 24-3 and wins the AL Cy Young.

3. White Sox trade for Jim Thome in a move that spurs us to a playoff run.

4. Jim Thome hits GW HR in game 163 against what is now his former team, the Twins.

5. Sox win the World Series over the Cubs.

Why would the twins trade Thome to us if they were still in the playoff hunt?

Alex Rios, Mark Teahen, Dan Hudson, and Andruw Jones all have great seasons, and the white sox win the central.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
Jeter did take 2 years off from stealing the GG in '07 and '08. Personally, I think Elvis Andrus is about to go on a long run of GG wins.

If Franklin Gutierrez and Chase Utley can't win one then no future deserving candidate is exempt from getting totally screwed outta winning this "prestigious" award.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
If Franklin Gutierrez and Chase Utley can't win one then no future deserving candidate is exempt from getting totally screwed outta winning this "prestigious" award.

Well, 1 of the 2 years Jeter didn't win the GG it went to Michael Young who had a -5.4 UZR/150 that season. In the 5 years that Young spent at SS he never had a positive UZR. Still, the way people around the league talk about Andrus, I think he's gonna start getting some love very soon. You didn't really here opposing managers talk up Franklyn Gutierrez last year and it showed in the voting where as now they won't shut the f*** up about Andrus, unfortunately I can't say the same for any of the other elite players that have been snubbed at other positions.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Well, 1 of the 2 years Jeter didn't win the GG it went to Michael Young who had a -5.4 UZR/150 that season. In the 5 years that Young spent at SS he never had a positive UZR. Still, the way people around the league talk about Andrus, I think he's gonna start getting some love very soon. You didn't really here opposing managers talk up Franklyn Gutierrez last year and it showed in the voting where as now they won't shut the f*** up about Andrus, unfortunately I can't say the same for any of the other elite players that have been snubbed at other positions.

Izturis should have won it IMO.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 02:38 AM)
Here's my BOLD predictions:

4. Jenks will go on the DL and Guillen will try Sergio Santos as a closer... and it'll stick.

Quite bold considering if Jenks went on the DL Santos would have to jump Thornton, Putz and Pena.

Mine:

Carlos Quentin becomes a permanent DH by June (Jones full-time in RF)

Rios makes the AL All-Star team

Buehrle has a 2006-type year (meaning not so good)

Gavin Floyd finishes in the top 5 of the Cy Young

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Izturis should have won it IMO.

Eh, only 107 games started at the position and I know it doesn't sound right but Cesar Izturis doesn't hit AT ALL, so he really only needs to focus on his defense and not worry about what he does at the plate. Meanwhile, not only is Andrus amazing in 140 games started at the position but he's also putting up decent offensive production at age 20/21 while dealing with the fastest non-artificial infield in baseball.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
Quite bold considering if Jenks went on the DL Santos would have to jump Thornton, Putz and Pena.

Mine:

Carlos Quentin becomes a permanent DH by June (Jones full-time in RF)

Rios makes the AL All-Star team

Buehrle has a 2006-type year (meaning not so good)

Gavin Floyd finishes in the top 5 of the Cy Young

There's a 100x better shot that Jones becomes the starting CF and Rios shifts to right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Omar Vizquel pulls a Palmeiro circa 1999 and wins the Gold Glove at SS despite primarily being the everyday DH, leading off after Pierre tears a hammy.

:notworthy

Awesome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
stop making me nauseous

Well, it depends. I don't like the idea of rushing him out there, giving him 4-5 starts in the outfield a week right away, there's just too many factors working against him right now. But if he's eased into the role a bit there's good reason to believe that he could still be an above average defender in center even if he's not able to move as he used to. As qwerty said a few days ago he was never the fastest CF in the game yet he was the best and arguably the best ever, his defensive prowess was largely due to his immaculate reads this isn't something that fades with declining physical ability and CF at the Cell isn't exactly cavernous, not a ton of ground to cover out there.

It's crazy to think of but since Rowand left in '05 this team has struggled to find a player that could give them above average defense and decent offensive production in CF and right now we might have 2 guys that fit the bill.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Ugh, but god, say he is batting capably, moving Q to DH and then Andruw to CF just screams injury.

It also screams Q losing his mind on the bench with his only respite from the disparaging voice in his head being the 4 or 5 PA he'd get per game. He'd be bat s*** crazy by week 3 of the experiment. It also leaves Juan Pierre and his league-worst arm in left field which does not please me in the least but then again if you move Pierre to DH who becomes the starting LF? Quentin? He was a pretty awful defender out there and we are kind of banking on him going back to his plus defender days with a move back to his natural position of RF. Rios? He's an elite defensive RF with a plus bordering on elite arm, seems as though that would be wasted in LF especially with Quentin and his mediocre arm in right field. Jones? If he really is the best defensive CF on the team why would you put him in a corner OF position? And besides; I don't think Ozzie would do that to him anyway, he's not going to put a 14 year vet with 10 GG to his name in a position other than the one that he was playing super elite defense at only 3 years ago. I suppose what would really happen would be a rotating OF with Pierre and Quentin getting the majority of the games at DH, Jones picking up a few as well and the 4 of them rotating between OF spots depending upon personnel.

I also agree that he's a tremendous injury risk especially playing a near full time role in the outfield. That's why I wouldn't even attempt it for the first month or 2, rushing him out there would just be asking for trouble.

Yeesh, this would just open up a whole new can of worms.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
It also screams Q losing his mind on the bench with his only respite from the disparaging voice in his head being the 4 or 5 PA he'd get per game. He'd be bat s*** crazy by week 3 of the experiment. It also leaves Juan Pierre and his league-worst arm in left field which does not please me in the least but then again if you move Pierre to DH who becomes the starting LF? Quentin? He was a pretty awful defender out there and we are kind of banking on him going back to his plus defender days with a move back to his natural position of RF. Rios? He's an elite defensive RF with a plus bordering on elite arm, seems as though that would be wasted in LF especially with Quentin and his mediocre arm in right field. Jones? If he really is the best defensive CF on the team why would you put him in a corner OF position? And besides; I don't think Ozzie would do that to him anyway, he's not going to put a 14 year vet with 10 GG to his name in a position other than the one that he was playing super elite defense at only 3 years ago. I suppose what would really happen would be a rotating OF with Pierre and Quentin getting the majority of the games at DH, Jones picking up a few as well and the 4 of them rotating between OF spots depending upon personnel.

I also agree that he's a tremendous injury risk especially playing a near full time role in the outfield. That's why I wouldn't even attempt it for the first month or 2, rushing him out there would just be asking for trouble.

Yeesh, this would just open up a whole new can of worms.

BUT THE FACT THAT WE HAVE FIVE PLAYERS THAT ARE IDENTIFIED AS OUTFIELDERS MEANS WE ARE SO FLEXIBLE!