The New Catholic Church Scandal

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Maybe someone can enlighten me on Catholisism. I seem to remember that once you are named Pope you are considered infallible. Am I correct?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
On matters of Church doctrine, yes

It's not as cut-and-dried as that. The pope is only infallible when speaking ex cathedra (literally "from the chair"), i.e., when the intent to invoke infallibility clearly accompanies a proclamation or promulgation of church dogma. Such infallible ex cathedra statements are made only very rarely, and in fact there has only been one instance in the last 130 years, when absolutely belief in the Assumption of Mary was made an unquestionable part of Roman Catholic dogma.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
so the vatican II reforms aren't a part of that? Interesting.

No, they are not. In fact, the entire modern view of ex cathedra papal infallibility and was only established with Vatican I in 1870.

As a recovering Catholic (25 years guilt-free, but every day is a struggle. . . ), it's a real hoot to wade through all of the caveats involved with the notions of infallibility. . . papal Sacred Magisterium is infallible UNLESS it conflicts with or contradicts Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition . . . BUT a current pope can infallibly recant the supposedly infallible promulgations of a predecessor. . .etc., . . .

It makes your head spin. And, quite honestly, it all reads like it was written by a bunch of geeky Trekies or rpg dungeonmasters trying desperately to logically assert and intellectually defend beliefs and viewpoints that are patently absurd and fanciful.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 06:45 AM)
No, they are not. In fact, the entire modern view of ex cathedra papal infallibility and was only established with Vatican I in 1870.

As a recovering Catholic (25 years guilt-free, but every day is a struggle. . . ), it's a real hoot to wade through all of the caveats involved with the notions of infallibility. . . papal Sacred Magisterium is infallible UNLESS it conflicts with or contradicts Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition . . . BUT a current pope can infallibly recant the supposedly infallible promulgations of a predecessor. . .etc., . . .

It makes your head spin. And, quite honestly, it all reads like it was written by a bunch of geeky Trekies or rpg dungeonmasters trying desperately to logically assert and intellectually defend beliefs and viewpoints that are patently absurd and fanciful.

Off subject, but then not at the same time, my friend turned to the dark side Easter weekend. He "converted" so the church will recognize his marriage. Blech...

Anyway, we went to the Sat. night thing... wow, that was um... something else. I support my friend, but I could not be a Catholic.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Off subject, but then not at the same time, my friend turned to the dark side Easter weekend. He "converted" so the church will recognize his marriage. Blech...

Anyway, we went to the Sat. night thing... wow, that was um... something else. I support my friend, but I could not be a Catholic.

Aw, that's small potatoes. The church of Indulgences and 11th-hour Deathbed Soul-Saving Confessions certainly sounds like the right place for a ne'er-do-well like myself. Maybe they'll take me back If I ask nice.

:D

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Aw, that's small potatoes. The church of Indulgences and 11th-hour Deathbed Soul-Saving Confessions certainly sounds like the right place for a ne'er-do-well like myself. Maybe they'll take me back If I ask nice.

Yea, I know... it's just... so fake, I guess. I mean the whole damn thing is a charade. You can't take communion unless a priest gives it to you? Right. You have to confess to a priest? Right. They are the people who are between a person and God? Right. Anyway, tangent taken, but I just couldn't do it. But he wants to marry this girl pretty bad. :lol:

This is sort of going off on a tangent, but yeah, I'm totally conflicted with my RC upbringing. The family and friends that are the dearest people in my life remain ostensibly devout Catholics. But most of them question their beliefs on a regular basis and struggle to remain Catholic like a kid struggles to maintain a belief in Santa Claus despite all signs pointing to the fact that the kid has been duped for years.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 04:37 AM)

they came and did this to my grandma on her deathbed, completely against her will, as she had left the church 40 years prior for another. It was very offensive to our family.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
they came and did this to my grandma on her deathbed, completely against her will, as she had left the church 40 years prior for another. It was very offensive to our family.

And I can completely understand why. It's not right.