Final Four

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:46 AM)
Also, did Zoubek miss that last FT on purpose because if so that is unbelievably stupid strategy on the part of Coach K. You never bring a potential loss into the equation in regulation. Make the FT and if they make a prayer to send it in to OT fine, but to give them a chance to win it in regulation is just dumb.

Yes, he clearly missed it on purpose. I couldn't agree with you more.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis and Kansas was significantly better than this game, as you knew you were watching future NBA stars on the court. I'm thrilled the game was close tonight, but I feel like the hype machine is out of control. At least the Sox won!!

I guess the good part is that there's about 25 teams next year that could win it all. College basketball might even be worse next year with a lower freshman class coming in and several leaving early this year in all likelihood.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:50 AM)
I guess the good part is that there's about 25 teams next year that could win it all. College basketball might even be worse next year with a lower freshman class coming in and several leaving early this year in all likelihood.

Any chance people put Butler as their preseason #1 if Hayward returns? Duke could also be fantastic if Singler/Smith return.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Memphis and Kansas was significantly better than this game, as you knew you were watching future NBA stars on the court. I'm thrilled the game was close tonight, but I feel like the hype machine is out of control. At least the Sox won!!

I'm obviously biased, but I'll take the 04-05 title game between UNC and Illinois over this one too. That game came down to the final minute and featured two teams that would have destroyed either team playing tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Any chance people put Butler as their preseason #1 if Hayward returns? Duke could also be fantastic if Singler/Smith return.

Butler has a great system in place and a ton returning, I wouldn't hesitate to put them at #1 if Singler leaves.

Still, losing Zoubek, Thomas, and Scheyer is going to be a lot to overcome. I don't even want to think about Kyrie Irving running the show at Duke next year. :crying

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:57 AM)
Butler has a great system in place and a ton returning, I wouldn't hesitate to put them at #1 if Singler leaves.

Still, losing Zoubek, Thomas, and Scheyer is going to be a lot to overcome. I don't even want to think about Kyrie Irving running the show at Duke next year. :crying

The Plumlee's with the training wheels can easily surpass the production that Thomas/Zoubek gave them during the season. I'm a huge Irving fan.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Also, did Zoubek miss that last FT on purpose because if so that is unbelievably stupid strategy on the part of Coach K. You never bring a potential loss into the equation in regulation. Make the FT and if they make a prayer to send it in to OT fine, but to give them a chance to win it in regulation is just dumb.

You are making a team get a rebound, dribble all of the way up the floor, and get a decent shot off in 3.6 seconds... all without a TO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 03:59 AM)
You are making a team get a rebound, dribble all of the way up the floor, and get a decent shot off in 3.6 seconds... all without a TO.

But you can't give yourself a chance to lose in that situation. Duke's defenders all ran away from Hayward. For all us Duke haters, at least starting Thursday, no one will care about who won the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)

Butler isn't likely to get a good shot off either way, probably a halfcourt shot in either situation. Only if you make the FT the worst case scenario is you are playing for OT.

No way Butler should be #1, there are several relatively comparable teams that bring in more talent than they do next year. Heck, you can make an argument that three Big Ten teams should be ahead of them: Michigan State with a healthy Lucas and Allen as well as adding Appling and Payne, Purdue if Hummel is healthy, and OSU with Turner gone but the rest likely back as well as a damn good class coming in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
Butler isn't likely to get a good shot off either way, probably a halfcourt shot in either situation. Only if you make the FT the worst case scenario is you are playing for OT.

You also give them a chance for a baseball pass without taking any time off of the clock.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
But you can't give yourself a chance to lose in that situation. Duke's defenders all ran away from Hayward. For all us Duke haters, at least starting Thursday, no one will care about who won the NCAA Tournament.

That is a whole nother screw up. You do have to stop the ball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:03 AM)
You also give them a chance for a baseball pass without taking any time off of the clock.

And then you foul them and make them try and make the first and miss the second when you have a GIGANTIC size advantage down low.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I think I'm more frustrated about Jennifer Hudson taking over One Shining Moment than the Tourney expanding to 96 teams.

yeah thats bs, that pisses me off

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)

Which isn't hard to defend if you are up 3 since you don't have to play anyone behind the 3 pt line. It is still going to be an incredibly difficult shot either way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I think I'm more frustrated about Jennifer Hudson taking over One Shining Moment than the Tourney expanding to 96 teams.

I came to post this exact thought. It's terrible.

What's next, making basketball 6 on 6? Oops, I hope the NCAA isn't reading this.