3/28 Split Squads- 3PM

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
If Castro needs to start the season on the DL, I don't think Flowers makes it. They have room to add Lucy, so just leave Flowers at AAA and let him play.

Bring up Retherford as backup catcher/MI instead of Lucy.

He'll at least connect with the ball on occasion.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Bring up Retherford as backup catcher/MI instead of Lucy.

He'll at least connect with the ball on occasion.

Lucy is the much superior defensive catcher though, probably the best not just in our minors, but probably on our team if he was brought up. I don't think he could do any worse than Castro with the bat last season. I'll save Retherford for next season though if he improves his defensive (not to mention hits AAA pitching, showing the winter league was a fluke) game at catcher, were looking at a super utility guy down the line with excellent flexibility.

Now saying all of this I'm sure Castro is fine. Probably more or less just precautionary. And to the other poster, no Flowers wouldn't be brought up if Castro went down especially seeing the sox brass wants him to work on his new tweaked swing in AAA (I would think if AJ got injured, it would be a different scenario.)

Edited by SoxAce

Konerko continues to look like he's swinging a torrid bat.

Ramirez looks just flat out terrible. Again.

Rios is up, Beckham's timing is a bit off today.

Floyd has had his defense on the IF let him down in a couple innings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Retherford's ever actually caught before, at least not in the minors or college. They just wanted to give him some work behind the plate during spring training to see if that would be an option down the line. If Castro needs to spend a little time on the DL and the Sox aren't comfortable with Flowers not getting regular ABs (that's the only reason I'm not calling him up, f*** his arb clock, that's not a concern right now) then you go to Lucy for his defensive prowess. Corky Miller (one of the all time worst offensive players in big league history) got a grand total of 18 PA last April (4 starts) and didn't totally embarrass himself or kill the team, something tells me Lucy could do the same.

Rangers announcers pointed it out and they're right. The Rangers won 5-0, and the reason they won 5-0 is that they did everything right on defense and the Sox didn't.

The Split Squad didn't help with putting in some easy outs there either, but the difference on defense. Sigh.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Retherford's ever actually caught before, at least not in the minors or college.

Turned this up in a search:

Retherford's roles help ASU

By Mark Armijo

The Arizona Republic

May. 31, 2006 12:00 AM

Is there a position on the diamond that Arizona State University junior C.J. Retherford can't play?

Retherford has played third base, second base, catcher and pitcher this season. He played some outfield at South Mountain Community College and was shortstop for one season at Hamilton High.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/t...html?&wired

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Turned this up in a search:

Retherford's roles help ASU

By Mark Armijo

The Arizona Republic

May. 31, 2006 12:00 AM

Is there a position on the diamond that Arizona State University junior C.J. Retherford can't play?

Retherford has played third base, second base, catcher and pitcher this season. He played some outfield at South Mountain Community College and was shortstop for one season at Hamilton High.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/t...html?&wired

also, I remember when pitchers and catchers reported, CJ reported because they wanted to test him out catching.