Iowa Hires Fran "White Magic" McCaffery

Very good hire IMO. One of the best mid-major coaches out there. Although the same was said about Lickliter. It will be interesting to see how McCaffery recruits without any real midwest experience besides being an ND assistant for two years in the late 80s, but lots have changed since then. That to me is the hardest part to get going when you are a new coach, you gotta make a lot of contact and friendships with coaches in a short period of time.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Very good hire IMO. One of the best mid-major coaches out there. Although the same was said about Lickliter. It will be interesting to see how McCaffery recruits without any real midwest experience besides being an ND assistant for two years in the late 80s, but lots have changed since then. That to me is the hardest part to get going when you are a new coach, you gotta make a lot of contact and friendships with coaches in a short period of time.

He was at ND for 11 years I believe. He'll recruit a lot better than Lickliter if not for the only reason he likes to coach a brand of basketball that is actually fun to play. I'm very excited. He's the only coach ever to take 3 separate schools from single bid conferences to the tournament. With Carver Hawkeye Arena getting a $50 million renovation, it won't be long before Iowa becomes relevant in basketball again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
He was at ND for 11 years I believe. He'll recruit a lot better than Lickliter if not for the only reason he likes to coach a brand of basketball that is actually fun to play. I'm very excited. He's the only coach ever to take 3 separate schools from single bid conferences to the tournament. With Carver Hawkeye Arena getting a $50 million renovation, it won't be long before Iowa becomes relevant in basketball again.

I read 88-99 as 88-89 on Wikipedia. Oops. Then yeah even better hire IMO. Should have good contacts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)

Add in our new practice facility and I think Iowa is headed back in the right direction. The cupboard also doesn't appear to be as bare as it sounds as if Iowa will hold all of its current recruits and keep some of there guys who were very unhappy with Lick.

Lick really really pissed off a lot of players at Iowa. I'm pretty excited to see what happens. I think Fran is a good coach and we'll just have to see how he can recruit. He also seems to be a family guy and I think he's going to be able to represent the Iowa fan base well.