Who do you want to get the last roster spot?

JDsDirtySox

Who do you want to get the last roster spot?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to get the last roster spot?

• Nix
    • Aquino
    • Hudson

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
Yes Santos is Pitcher #12...

So the final roster spot is basically a 13th pitcher or Nix.

What's the use of a 13th pitcher when we have one of the best rotations in baseball?

12 pitchers is plenty for this staff. The 13th guy would be marginal at best anyways.

Nix is the obv choice here as he does some things well and is a good bench player. He has a place on this team and i'd really hate to lose him for nothing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Of those, Nix, but only because I don't trust Aquino and I want Hudson to pitch every 5 days.

Agreed. Nix isn't the ideal utility man with his shaky (though I think he can improve) defense at 3B/SS (stellar at 2B) but the only reason I would take him is we would be relying on a 42 year old to backup alot, not to mention would be getting a ton of at-bats. The power wouldn't hurt either.

I still think we will see Hudson alot more this year than people think. (Freddy either getting injured or just not getting the job done but that's just my personal opinion and I hope he proves me wrong) Barring deadline trade for a bat of course.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
Agreed. Nix isn't the ideal utility man with his shaky (though I think he can improve) defense at 3B/SS (stellar at 2B) but the only reason I would take him is we would be relying on a 42 year old to backup alot, not to mention would be getting a ton of at-bats. The power wouldn't hurt either.

I still think we will see Hudson alot more this year than people think. (Freddy either getting injured or just not getting the job done but that's just my personal opinion and I hope he proves me wrong) Barring deadline trade for a bat of course.

Once the league catches up to freddy's 87MPH fastball and array of junkballs that are never strikes his ERA will swell to over 5 and then we can call up Hudson to be the 5th starter. This wont happen till the beginning of July though.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Once the league catches up to freddy's 87MPH fastball and array of junkballs that are never strikes his ERA will swell to over 5 and then we can call up Hudson to be the 5th starter. This wont happen till the beginning of July though.

I think you mean if the league catches up to it. Paul Byrd was pretty damn solid for a 2-3 year stretch throwing nothing but 86-90 MPH junk from the right side. Normally those guys get lit up, but if the secondary pitches are good enough and the pitcher knows how to use it, they can be just fine.

I'd love to have the luxury of carrying Hudson for long relief and spot starts, but I went with Nix because I think you have to have more than one spare infielder. Vizquel replaces anyone for any reason and then an in game injury and you are caught with what? Kotsay or Konerko at third base. Nope, gotta have two infielders on the bench. Besides Hudson would only be a phone call away.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
I'd love to have the luxury of carrying Hudson for long relief and spot starts, but I went with Nix because I think you have to have more than one spare infielder. Vizquel replaces anyone for any reason and then an in game injury and you are caught with what? Kotsay or Konerko at third base. Nope, gotta have two infielders on the bench. Besides Hudson would only be a phone call away.

LOL @ the thought of that. I think they'd lay down 4 bunts in a row for an easy run.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
carrying 13 pitchers to start the year is dumb. Nix better be on this team
Right up there with Vizquel leading off and Kotsay batting third. Most teams used to carry 10 pitchers. Now 11 and 12 is the norm because if a pitcher goes over 100 pitches too many times his arm will fall off. With AL teams having a DH when you carry 12 pitchers the bench is very thin. With 13 it just gets ridiculous.

It was made pretty clear today in the Trib that the 13th pitcher thing isn't happening, now that the club feels Jenks is healthy.

Its Nix. CJ is already out, and Lillibridge isn't a real option. I suppose there's a long shot that De Aza makes it over Nix, but, I really doubt it.