ESPN Magazine Computer Predictions

LittleHurt05

Looked over some of the other divisions, and I found another questionable projection IMO. They have the Angels finishing last in the AL West, average record of 76.2-85.8, only winning the division 2.5 out of 100 times. They have the other 3 teams at or above 500, with the A's winning the division 19.5/100. I know the Angels lost Lackey, and are supposed to finally fall off their AL West throne, blah blah blah, but I really doubt they end up the worst team in a bad division.

All this Twins love has to stop. It's nauseating enough to hear the Vikings getting slurped during the entire football season, I'd like a break during baseball season. They'll tease like usual, then fall flat in the playoffs if they make them.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
All this Twins love has to stop. It's nauseating enough to hear the Vikings getting slurped during the entire football season, I'd like a break during baseball season. They'll tease like usual, then fall flat in the playoffs if they make them.

Tell me about it. My girlfriend lives in Minnesota (don't worry, she's a Sox fan) so I'm inundated with Minneapolis crap ALL THE TIME! I can hardly tolerate it. Every fiber of my being wants to watch them drown in mediocrity for once.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Phew! I was about to flip the f*** out.

She wasn't an anything fan till I got to her. I planted the Sox flag firmly in her forehead. Figuratively speaking...

Now she's the proud owner of a Buehrle jersey, and before the year is over she will know more than 3 Sox' names, I promise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
This is from the upcoming ESPN Magazine, they did 100 computer simulations and the Twins finished 1st more often, but somehow the Indians were next in line, as well as the only team to snag a wild card berth in one simulation. They also dont think much of the division, as the Twins are the only team to average a +.500 finish, at barely 82 wins.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/news/story?id=5028413

The only computer simulations that I trust are what goes into Strat-o-Matic baseball :lolhitting

They'll tease like usual, then fall flat in the playoffs if they make them.

We have to keep them out of the playoffs because one wouldn't think our division would supply the wildcard team this year. I hope Kenny has built a team to win its divisional games because we need to own the Indians, Royals and Tigers this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
Looked over some of the other divisions, and I found another questionable projection IMO. They have the Angels finishing last in the AL West, average record of 76.2-85.8, only winning the division 2.5 out of 100 times. They have the other 3 teams at or above 500, with the A's winning the division 19.5/100. I know the Angels lost Lackey, and are supposed to finally fall off their AL West throne, blah blah blah, but I really doubt they end up the worst team in a bad division.

I'll give up baseball for eternity if that awful Oakland team wins that division.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Still a lot of "if's" for my liking....

There were like 2 if's in that statement. Beckham improving is not an "if" but a when. If he stagnates or gets worse, I'll be surprised. If Rios finishes this season with any less than a .775 OPS and great defense in CF or RF (wherever he ends up due to anything out of Andruw Jones), I'll be surprised, and I'm expecting an .825 OPS or so out of him. The only real "if" was Quentin being healthy and producing. If that happens, the Sox offense is going to be fine, and if not, there are other ways (and more if's, in that instance). The only other "if" was having everyone else in the lineup putting up average years (give or take, but overall averaging out to their relative norms). That doesn't seem like that big of an "if" to me.

There are more if's in that, and I was purposely trying to get in as many as I could. I probably could have gotten more in IF I really wanted to.

I actually feel really good about this thing, and IF the Sox get a few breaks here or there, I could easily see them winning 90 or so games. However, I think the Twins team has the potential to be absolutely dominant, so we have to hope their defense, especially in the outfield, is bad enough that it can't get to quite a few balls, and that their infield defense is mediocre. IF that happens, their pitching staff is going to suffer. The loss of Nathan is big, but I think one of Rauch and Guerrier can fill in adequately in the interim.