Who wins the ALC?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who wints the ALC?

• CHW
    • MIN
    • DET
    • CLE
    • KC

This could be a PHT topic, or an ALC topic, but I put it here.

Where do you think the teams in the ALC will finish this year? You can provide win totals and/or games back if you'd like, but its not required.

Here is my wild ass guess...

1. CHW

2. MIN -3

3. CLE -5

4. DET -9

5. KC -16

Sox win the division because the big question marks - Rios/TCQ/Pierre/Jones - mostly do well, and the pitching is as expected. MIN doesn't do nearly as well offensively as people think they will in the new stadium, adjusts and makes a run late, but falls short. CLE surprises, but are erratic, with their young talent. Detroit is mediocre, and KC just can't get anything going.

Yours?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
This could be a PHT topic, or an ALC topic, but I put it here.

Where do you think the teams in the ALC will finish this year? You can provide win totals and/or games back if you'd like, but its not required.

Here is my wild ass guess...

1. CHW

2. MIN -3

3. CLE -5

4. DET -9

5. KC -16

Sox win the division because the big question marks - Rios/TCQ/Pierre/Jones - mostly do well, and the pitching is as expected. MIN doesn't do nearly as well offensively as people think they will in the new stadium, adjusts and makes a run late, but falls short. CLE surprises, but are erratic, with their young talent. Detroit is mediocre, and KC just can't get anything going.

Yours?

I hate to piggyback but I think you're spot on. I think Cleveland will be a lot better than people think and they will give teams in the AL Central fits all year.

I know the Twins lineup is the best in the division, but Liriano, Blackburn, Pavano & Co. in their rotation doesnt do much for me, and I think thats their downfall. Sox will score enough runs behind our pitching staff to win the division.

SOX

MIN -5

DET -7

CLE -14

KC -22

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
The Tigers are pretty balanced and a good manager. I would'nt count them out.
Yes it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Tigers did better than a lot of folks think they will. Seriously though, do 2/3 of you really think the Sox have fielded a division winning team? Even in a relatively weak division? Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Yes it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Tigers did better than a lof of folks think they will. Seriously though, do 2/3 of you really think the Sox have fielded a division winning team? Even in a relatively weak division?

Yes. I like this team. This team can hang with any other in the division. If they don't...then either there were a lot of injuries...or we can legitimately be pissed off at the coaching, because this is a well balanced team, with speed and power, with a lot of depth, with a starting rotation that could be the best in baseball, with a bullpen on paper as well-built as anyone's. This team should be in it the whole season, at the least.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Yes it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Tigers did better than a lof of folks think they will. Seriously though, do 2/3 of you really think the Sox have fielded a division winning team? Even in a relatively weak division?

The pitching is the most important thing. If the starters do what they normally do, plus we get a decent season out of the pen, this team can win 90 games even with a suspect offense.

This team is vastly improved over opening day 2009. The team still has significant holes, but the outfield D is significantly improved, the infield shouldn't be worse and will likely be better, the pitching is a whole lot better, and Pierre, Teahen, Vizquel > Wise, Getz, Lillibridge. That said, I always temper my optimism with realism - on paper, this team is not measurably better than Detroit or Minnesota. There are three teams in the Central that will likely battle all season, and predicting results for this kind of contest is anything from difficult to downright maddening depending on the individual. Can they win? Certainly, they have the talent. Will they?

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)

If I think it's a coin toss between the Twins, Tigers and Sox (do they make 3-sided coins yet??), then why would I vote for anyone BUT the sox?

And come now, you can't tell me that the Twins are definitevely better than the Sox. You say offense, I counter with pitching. Ours is significantly superior to theirs (Slowey? Baker? they may outperform their projections as Twins usually do, but they are still Slowey and Baker), just as their offense is moderately superior to ours, and their defense is moderately superior to ours. It all adds up to a ridiculously even division, so of course 2/3rds of us are gonna vote for our guys.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
If I think it's a coin toss between the Twins, Tigers and Sox (do they make 3-sided coins yet??), then why would I vote for anyone BUT the sox?

And come now, you can't tell me that the Twins are definitevely better than the Sox. You say offense, I counter with pitching. Ours is significantly superior to theirs (Slowey? Baker? they may outperform their projections as Twins usually do, but they are still Slowey and Baker), just as their offense is moderately superior to ours, and their defense is moderately superior to ours. It all adds up to a ridiculously even division, so of course 2/3rds of us are gonna vote for our guys.

I think people are too focused on Mauer and Morneau. If the OF collection on the Sox plays up to their talent levels, the Sox offense will be just as good as the Twins if not better. But the Twins are heavily reliant on two bats, and the Sox are less spectacular at 3-4 but better overall.

Of course, if Rios/TCQ/Pierre/Jones don't live up to expectations, that's another story.

MIN

CWS

DET

KC

CLE

If I had to bet on it I'd say MIN walks away with the division, but I'm hoping the Sox can stay close and maybe make a move. I think Liriano is really back and I think he's going to be the ace they were missing. I also think their offense and defense is going to be rock solid, and have no doubts that they'll figure a way to close out games. I think Linebrink and Putz are very suspect and could be a gaping hole in the pen right out of the gate. Also not convinced Bobby is right.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
MIN

CWS

DET

KC

CLE

If I had to bet on it I'd say MIN walks away with the division, but I'm hoping the Sox can stay close and maybe make a move. I think Liriano is really back and I think he's going to be the ace they were missing. I also think their offense and defense is going to be rock solid, and have no doubts that they'll figure a way to close out games. I think Linebrink and Putz are very suspect and could be a gaping hole in the pen right out of the gate. Also not convinced Bobby is right.

I agree except I'd have KC and Cleveland flip positions. The Royals like the Pirates are just going to have to show me they are making real progress. Edited by SI1020

I got Sox as of now, but people are fooling themselves if they don't think the Twins will make a trade for a closer by (or before) the deadline to improve their team. (Heath Bell?) Then again... I've long said the sox will add a bat before hand as well in other threads (I love the Berkman prediction by Kalapse) so I'll leave it as the sox winning it.

KC will be my surprise team. They will finish ahead of the Indians for 4th place.

I picked Minnie cause like its been said a million times, there are way too many IF's on this team.. IF rios plays like the old rios, IF cq stays healthy, IF Freddy turns out solid performances and doesnt get hurt, IF andruw jones is legit. Our lineup just doesnt shout "runs" to me. Unless this is a year like '05 where seemingly everyone has a career year, i dont see us getting very far and i see our pitchers losing a lot of one run games. but then again this is why i dont work for ESPN :aussie:

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I picked Minnie cause like its been said a million times, there are way too many IF's on this team.. IF rios plays like the old rios, IF cq stays healthy, IF Freddy turns out solid performances and doesnt get hurt, IF andruw jones is legit. Our lineup just doesnt shout "runs" to me. Unless this is a year like '05 where seemingly everyone has a career year, i dont see us getting very far and i see our pitchers losing a lot of one run games. but then again this is why i dont work for ESPN :aussie:

IF Mauer doesn't miss a month, if Morneau doesn't miss a month, if Span keeps playing at a higher level than he ever did in the minors, if Orlando Hudson stays healthy, if the Twins starting 5 doesn't implode, if Pavano stays healthy, if the Twins bullpen doesn't suffer a major letdown, if the Twins don't trade for Heath Bell