Who wins the ALC?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who wints the ALC?

• CHW
    • MIN
    • DET
    • CLE
    • KC

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
IF Mauer doesn't miss a month, if Morneau doesn't miss a month, if Span keeps playing at a higher level than he ever did in the minors, if Orlando Hudson stays healthy, if the Twins starting 5 doesn't implode, if Pavano stays healthy, if the Twins bullpen doesn't suffer a major letdown, if the Twins don't trade for Heath Bell

the thing about the twins is even with an IF factor they still come to play and always seem in the hunt to win the central every year, they're the piranhas for a reason.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
the thing about the twins is even with an IF factor they still come to play and always seem in the hunt to win the central every year, they're the piranhas for a reason.

Of course, they'll be in the hunt and if they finish 2nd it'll be by 2 games or less, that's just how things work with them.

But pretending that team has no questions while the Sox have a ton, when both M's missed a month last year, they have a weak rotation even if Liriano steps up, and their bullpen is a mess, is selling us short to me.

1) CHW

2) DET -7

3) MIN -10

4) CLE -16

5) KC -25

I think the loss of Nathan coupled with the absence of lost fly balls by the opposition in the ceiling and baltimore chop hits in the roller dome really hurt the Twins this year.

10 games back? sorry, but that is ridiculous. the loss of the dome wont hurt them much. they completely changed their lineup since then. they are full of power hitter who will thrive in their new park. their offense is much, much better than ours now.

sadly, i see the twins beating us by 3 games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
But pretending that team has no questions while the Sox have a ton, when both M's missed a month last year, they have a weak rotation even if Liriano steps up, and their bullpen is a mess, is selling us short to me.

Well I wouldn't go far as saying their bullpen is "a mess" just their closer situation. Like I said earlier I think they will address that down the line (before or during the deadline) Their rotation is by far their biggest question mark. The Twins have already been okay with losing Mauer for a while early on last season and still were in the hunt. (and of course won the division) Morneau as well in the past. NOW, if they lose both guys around the same time, then you have a point. (Morneau's injuries have been more fluke though) I don't think Span will duplicate his .380+ OBP again, but he is very legit (.350+ for sure) and their defense (minus Crede for Punto) is much better all around. But they too, are counting on some guys to have big years pitching wise. (I personally like Liriano, but I doubt the other guys in that rotation) Their offense is the least of their concerns.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Well I wouldn't go far as saying their bullpen is "a mess" just their closer situation. Like I said earlier I think they will address that down the line (before or during the deadline) Their rotation is by far their biggest question mark. The Twins have already been okay with losing Mauer for a while early on last season and still were in the hunt. (and of course won the division) Morneau as well in the past. NOW, if they lose both guys around the same time, then you have a point. (Morneau's injuries have been more fluke though) I don't think Span will duplicate his .380+ OBP again, but he is very legit (.350+ for sure) and their defense (minus Crede for Punto) is much better all around. But they too, are counting on some guys to have big years pitching wise. (I personally like Liriano, but I doubt the other guys in that rotation) Their offense is the least of their concerns.

I think Scott Baker is primed for a big year. But, yeah, the rest of that rotation is pretty plain.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Sorry, I accidentally voted for Kansas City. I had selected the Sox and I guess I clicked the radio button or something.

Hmmm..Go Royals? :unsure:

Funny thing is.. as of now the Royals (5) have more votes than Detroit (2). :lol:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I got Sox as of now, but people are fooling themselves if they don't think the Twins will make a trade for a closer by (or before) the deadline to improve their team. (Heath Bell?) Then again... I've long said the sox will add a bat before hand as well in other threads (I love the Berkman prediction by Kalapse) so I'll leave it as the sox winning it.

KC will be my surprise team. They will finish ahead of the Indians for 4th place.

Personally, I think that's crazy. The Indians atleast have an offense. The Royals have one great starting pitcher, one sorta good starting pitcher, one good reliever, and then a handful of crap. And their lineup is terrible.

I think KC is going to lose 100+ games and will probably be the worst team in the AL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
Personally, I think that's crazy. The Indians atleast have an offense. The Royals have one great starting pitcher, one sorta good starting pitcher, one good reliever, and then a handful of crap. And their lineup is terrible.

I think KC is going to lose 100+ games and will probably be the worst team in the AL.

I'm thinking Oakland. Billy Beane needs another book to come out or something.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
I'm thinking Oakland. Billy Beane needs another book to come out or something.

Their pitching and defense is too good. They won't score any runs (without a trade, and I still think they are the sleeper in the Adrian Gonzalez race and adding him would be a huge addition for that offense), but their pitching will keep enough teams off the board that they'll stay afloat and win more than 70 games.

KC basically has no offense, no pitching, and no defense. They are going to do a lot of struggling this year, and they have quite a few nasty and stupid contracts - Meche is on the hook for 2/$24 the next 2, Guillen gets $12 this year, Farnsworth is going to get $5 this year with his contract and buyout, Betancourt has $9 mill left on his ($3 this, $4 next, $2 buyout or $6 TO if they're stupid), Cruz is getting $3.75 with his buyout, and Kendall is due 2/$6. That's a lot of money ($38 mill this year) to a boatload of pretty terrible baseball players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
Their pitching and defense is too good. They won't score any runs (without a trade, and I still think they are the sleeper in the Adrian Gonzalez race and adding him would be a huge addition for that offense), but their pitching will keep enough teams off the board that they'll stay afloat and win more than 70 games.

KC basically has no offense, no pitching, and no defense. They are going to do a lot of struggling this year, and they have quite a few nasty and stupid contracts - Meche is on the hook for 2/$24 the next 2, Guillen gets $12 this year, Farnsworth is going to get $5 this year with his contract and buyout, Betancourt has $9 mill left on his ($3 this, $4 next, $2 buyout or $6 TO if they're stupid), Cruz is getting $3.75 with his buyout, and Kendall is due 2/$6. That's a lot of money ($38 mill this year) to a boatload of pretty terrible baseball players.

Other than Brett Anderson and Ben Sheets (the latter being a complete unknown at this point), their rotation stinks, IMO. I don't know why they're dicking Gio Gonzalez around. I realize his BB/9 is outta control. But his K/9 was almost 10. There's nothing more for him to prove in the minors. May as well let him figure it out at the ML level. Not like they're in contention for anything. Their offense is embarrassing. The bullpen should be pretty good, especially with the return of Joey Devine. But I don't foresee them having too many leads to protect after 6 innings this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
My MLB predictions are as followed:

Giants

Cardinals

Phillies

Braves - WC

Cardinals play in the world series

Angels

Sox

Yankees

Devil Rays

White Sox play and win the world series

GAGED! Start scouting for a top 10 pick now...

It is Soxtalk.com so some White Sox bias is to be expected. However, nationally it is not uncommon to see the White Sox picked to win their division. I look for some very good races in all mlb divisions. I don't see a clear favorite in any divsion. Pitching and my own bias persuade me to take our Sox to win it all.