White Sox Will Be Champions

Quin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
Vizquel I get, but why WOULDN'T we want Pierre at DH if his fielding replacement is Rios/Jones?

Juan Pierre isn't actually that terrible of an OF. Our ideal defensive lineup is probably Pierre in LF, Rios in CF, and Jones in RF with TCQ at DH.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
It's hard not to feel optimistic about a team whose manager was quoted on April 1 as saying, "he could use Vizquel or Juan Pierre occasionally at DH this season,"and was not joking.

hahaha

I don't take "predictions" as seriously as "projections". I like to hear who Rosenthal, Gammons, etc. predict to win but I don't hold it against them if they are wrong. They are based on feelings/mindsets. It's more for fun.

The projection systems are a little different. Those are simulated applications that come up with numbers. They are based on algorithms. If they are off then their reputation is on the line.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
Rosenthal is one of the best in the game. Anyone that calls him an idiot is a dumbass. Same with Gammons, Heyman, Olney, Nightengale, and Kurkijan.

And yes, there are a lot of people on fan sites that are dumbasses and rip on good sports reporters because they don't say what they want to say or because the rumor that came out didn't turn out to be true. It's ridiculous.

Hurray for stating opinion as fact! Yeah, I have big problems with both Heyman and Nightengale and it's funny: I don't feel like a dumbass for holding such opinions.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Hurray for stating opinion as fact! Yeah, I have big problems with both Heyman and Nightengale and it's funny: I don't feel like a dumbass for holding such opinions.

The dumbass portion applied to Rosenthal. But I think Heyman and Nightengale both have a good idea as to what is going on in the game of baseball (ie, rumors, trades, ect). And I think the other people I mentioned also do an excellent job of having a grasp as to what teams are thinking/doing, etc.

Not saying you need to agree with there actual opinions or analysis of the trades as those are seperate things but as pure baseball reporters all of those guys have a history of having good connections throughout baseball and have and will continue to break plenty of moves.

And yes, I think people that call X reporter a dumbass because they were wrong on a rumor are complete jackasses. Now sometimes a reporter has a history of being an idiot and in those instances, well they are an idiot.

I also think stat people state some of there conclusions based upon stats as pure fact too and ignore the non-statistical parts of the game that can also impact the game.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 05:16 AM)
I'm sure the statement has been made many times, in one form or another, but how many people figured the 2005 Sox would win the World Series? And looking bad at that year, many of us (myself included) would have never thought so in August during the death spiral. Everything came together in the playoffs, though. Imagine the pitching staff pitching like they are capable and the majority of the team staying healthy...gets you kind of excited doesn't it?

No offense, but can we let 2005 go? At least when it comes to predicting future success for this team? 2005 was 5 years ago. That year didn't kick-start some kinda dynasty.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
No offense, but can we let 2005 go? At least when it comes to predicting future success for this team? 2005 was 5 years ago. That year didn't kick-start some kinda dynasty.

If it were up to me the numbers 2005 would be filtered. Everything went together right for us that year, and even if it was the same exact team with the same exact stats every year since there's no guarantee they'd win the World Series again.

In a time long ago, projections that went against our team (that I felt were unjust) would irritate me. Whether it's against our team or not, I just don't pay any attention to it. I hold all my anger for the chat room during the season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)

No offense taken, but I wasn't comparing this team to the 2005 Sox. I was just making a point about predictions not meaning a lot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 07:04 AM)
Its amazing how much more solid a baseball writer becomes when they count the White Sox as one of the best. I've read for years on this board that Rosenthal was an idiot.

I like Rosenthal's columns, but am concerned about his prediction. It appears his pre-season picks haven't been on the money.

Can you change your avatar to Eeyore?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Nah. You don't think there's at least one fan from each team saying the same thing? It would all cancel out.

Each team? I guess there could be a drunk Pirates fan out there saying "This rotation of Malholm, Duke, Morton, Ohlendorf, & McCutchen is gonna carry us all the way to the World Series!!! Go Bucs!!!!!"

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
No offense taken, but I wasn't comparing this team to the 2005 Sox. I was just making a point about predictions not meaning a lot.

Predictions mean nothing, actually. I just don't think 2005 needs to be rehashed every time we're picked to finish third.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Why is Jones our starting centerfielder? I thought Rios could get to everything out there and Jones is pudgy.

Who said Jones would be our starting CF?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I thought somebody just said our outfield is great with Pierre, Jones, Quentin.

No, Jones is our DH, but he has actually played a pretty good OF this spring. He could probably play CF without hurting us. I would personally like to see a Pierre-Jones-Rios OF with Quentin DHing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Each team? I guess there could be a drunk Pirates fan out there saying "This rotation of Malholm, Duke, Morton, Ohlendorf, & McCutchen is gonna carry us all the way to the World Series!!! Go Bucs!!!!!"

Yes, but the pirates just are auto canceled out.