ST: White Sox @ Braves, 6:05 CT

justBLAZE

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
And if Carlos is as fragile as people believe him to be something tells me a move to the DH position will not be enough to save him from shattering into hundreds of pieces upon his next catastrophic injury. Hell correct me if I'm wrong but his last 4 injuries (if we are to believe that Carlos hurt himself punching a bat) either took place or were aggravated on the offensive side.

Carlos' heel injury can certainly be attributed to this time in the field. It's not insane logic, the less time he's exposed to having to run around, dive, make difficult throws the less stress will be put on his body. I also find it a bit shocking to hear the argument that Carlos is so mentally weak that he needs the distraction of playing the field to, what? Prevent him from killing himself? Because I can't think of many self-destructive things he can do on the bench outside of punching a wall and kicking the s*** out of the Gatorade cooler, and who hasn’t done that from time to time. Carlos said he’s working on his anger issues, and I trust that he can control himself long enough to allow this team to put the optimal defensive lineup in the field.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
i want to punch someone in the face for making the video quality terrible for this game

It's Spring Training still, I'm sure that it will be better during the season.

Will there be gunplay during the season if it's bad? :unsure:

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Carlos' heel injury can certainly be attributed to this time in the field. It's not insane logic, the less time he's exposed to having to run around, dive, make difficult throws the less stress will be put on his body. I also find it a bit shocking to hear the argument that Carlos is so mentally weak that he needs the distraction of playing the field to, what? Prevent him from killing himself? Because I can't think of many self-destructive things he can do on the bench outside of punching a wall and kicking the s*** out of the Gatorade cooler, and who hasn’t done that from time to time. Carlos said he’s working on his anger issues, and I trust that he can control himself long enough to allow this team to put the optimal defensive lineup in the field.

You're taking it to some incredible extremes. Off the top of my head I know Jason Giambi would tell anyone who would listen that he absolutely hated DH'ing, it would take him out of the flow of the game and give him far too much time to think about his ABs, he'd go up there and over think everything, playing the field would serve as a bit of a distraction for him. This is a fairly common complaint from hitters and is one of the reasons why you'd see some very good hitters stick in the field for far too long because they'd be fighting the move in the clubhouse. Vlad Guerrero's another one, he fought it for a while in Anaheim of course he was eventually forced into the move since he just couldn't physically play the field semi-regularly anymore. It's not exactly hard to figure out what I'm trying to say but since you're invoking suicide I suppose you're having trouble. So I'm about done with that.

Yeah, playing the field couldn't have helped his heal but he did aggravate it rounding first in Anaheim, that won't change as a full time DH. Same goes for the Hammy he strained running the bases, the wrist he broke punching a bat or the left shoulder he tore up swinging a bat. Like I said: if he's really as fragile as people believe then moving him to DH isn't going to keep him from spending time on the DL, he's already proven that he's quite proficient at hurting himself away from the outfield.

Am I the only one who hasn't seen a reason to laud Jones' defense in CF this spring? I don't think he's hurting us necessarily, but I have yet to see him dive, slide, or anything else remotely challenging.

EDIT: Is that the type of thing you don't do in the spring or something, for fear of injuring yourself? You'd think he'd show it at least once if he's trying to win a job in the field...

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Am I the only one who hasn't seen a reason to laud Jones' defense in CF this spring? I don't think he's hurting us necessarily, but I have yet to see him dive, slide, or anything else remotely challenging.

He looked awful in the game the other day that was televised on Comcast against the Angels.

Jenks new delivery isn't all that different, just a slightly different arm motion on the release

Escobar grounds out to Nix (at 2B), 1 down

Another grounder, this time to Lexi, 2 down

Fly out to Danksy2, 3 down

Jones singles on a ground ball to CF

AJ singles up the middle as well, 2 on nobody out

Rios strikes out swinging on 3 pitches, 1 down

Teahen flies out weakly to CF, 2 down

Lexi K's, 3 down

Edited by Real

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
I would hope Alex is in center for all 162 and if Jones or Kotsay HAVE to play the field, they're in RF.

Alex's defense in CF is better than anyone else's on the team, even Andruw.

Rios is not a better CF than Andruw Jones. No way. Rios is a very good OF but Jones is still excellent out there.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Rios is not a better CF than Andruw Jones. No way. Rios is a very good OF but Jones is still excellent out there.

What are you basing this on?

Anyway, Ozzie said that Jones will play against LHP, and if he does, Ozzie would rather see him in the outfield.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws