Castro still in Arizona, will start season on DL

Balta1701

Tribune

Backup catcher Ramon Castro could start the season on the disabled list, although a final decision won't be made until after the White Sox work out Sunday at U. S. Cellular Field.

Castro stayed in Arizona when the Sox traveled to Charlotte and Atlanta to finish spring training. He is nursing a badly bruised right heel. Donny Lucy, who is with the team, would be added to the roster.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Lucy better treasure the handful of games he's up for.

With the early offdays and the fact that you can put a guy on the DL at the start of the season retroactive to spring training, I'd be surprised if he got a start.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
I think we are learning the impression that he has made so far if Dony Lucy has gotten the call up.

True, and I'm not gonna say I'm worried but Flowers was pretty overhyped in this board ever since he got here from Braves.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
True, and I'm not gonna say I'm worried but Flowers was pretty overhyped in this board ever since he got here from Braves.

maybe, but I'm sure if they still consider him a top prospect they want him to get regular ABs, even if it's only for a week or so, with AJ and the off days I doubt the back-up catcher is going to sniff the field for 1-2 weeks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
It could easily also be they don't want to start the arbitration clock on a guy they'd actually like to use in the future.

They can't be worried about that sort of thing, you pull that s*** with elite prospects not Tyler Flowers, that's the kind of s*** awful organizations worry about. If he's the guy they believe can best help the team right now and that it wouldn't necessarily stunt his growth then he needs to get the call, no waiting until June. You don't call those (elite prospects you want to keep around for that extra year) guys up in September of losing years and that's exactly what they did with Tyler last year, they cost themselves a month with that one.

It's clear the Sox don't see the need in messing around with Flowers when he's be unlikely to see any action in the week till Castro comes back. It makes a lot more sense to give a minor-league veteran like Lucy a chance to experience the majors, and let a guy like Flowers keep working towards the greater picture.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)

They aren't going to bring up Flowers to sit on the bench 99% of the time. He will play everyday at AAA. You bring up a backup like Lucy to be the backup in Chicago. If AJ were to get hurt during the season, Flowers would be brought up and given the starting job.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Castro placed on DL with bruised heel

Backup catcher having trouble making progress with injury

CHICAGO -- Injury news on backup catcher Ramon Castro, delivered by manager Ozzie Guillen on Sunday, was not positive. Castro was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 29, with a bruised right heel and is not making significant progress.

"He got set back," said Guillen. "Every time he tries to do baseball activity, he backs down a little bit. What I hear from [White Sox athletic trainer] Hermie [schneider] is they're going to shut him down a few days and continue treatment and see what happens."

With Castro out of action, the White Sox seem perfectly satisfied with Donny Lucy serving in reserve behind A.J. Pierzynski.

"Our pitching staff loves throwing to him and the players like him," said Guillen. "The reason we brought him here was because we feel comfortable with him."