Castro still in Arizona, will start season on DL

Balta1701

Remember a few years ago when our backup Toby got hurt and everyone thought the season was over???

Its nice to have a catcher like AJP that makes your backup's effect on the season minimal. And if anything would happen to AJ, Im sure Flowers would come up and play everyday anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
I'd rather have Lucy anyway. Neither is likely to hit worth a damn, but Lucy can throw out runners, handles pitchers well, and brings some athleticism.

This. If Castro had anything resembling a bat, maybe I'd like him, but he doesn't, and the team likes Lucy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
I'd rather have Lucy anyway. Neither is likely to hit worth a damn, but Lucy can throw out runners, handles pitchers well, and brings some athleticism.

I've long said I didn't understand burning 1 million on Castro when you have a guy who can probably put up .184/.262/.382/.643 which is what Castro put up with us last year. Lucy is a horrid hitter, but he's very good defensively (and calling games, good speed for a catcher) and at league minimum no less.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
To be fair, Castro has some pretty decent pop in his bat.

Ya he's got the pop, and Lucy has the speed. (though not sure if some of that is limited since his knee-cap got destroyed) I also think Castro just had a bad season adjusting to the AL too so I'll cut him some slack. (he did help Buehrle pitch a perfect game too) Just always thought 1 mil was steep for a backup catcher so I am being too harsh.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I've long said I didn't understand burning 1 million on Castro when you have a guy who can probably put up .184/.262/.382/.643 which is what Castro put up with us last year. Lucy is a horrid hitter, but he's very good defensively (and calling games, good speed for a catcher) and at league minimum no less.

Castro has, in his career, been a .730 OPS guy, and .773 OPS against RHP, and most of that as a backup catcher. It's possible there's some reason why he struggled last year...but it's incorrect to say he's a .182 hitter in his career. In his career, he has a an OPS against LHP 0.006 lower than AJ has against RHP.