Sox re-hire Jerry Krause as consultant

JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)

Krause always caught a bad rap with the Bulls and some accuse him of running Jordan out of town, but the guy did draft Pippen and Grant and both blossomed and for the 2nd 3 peat, knew he needed a rebounder and got Rodman and that experiment worked out great. He is a pretty damn good evaluator of talent. Hopefully he can help out in the Dominican, because that place has lots of great talent, would be nice to start developing some guys from there.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Ozzie's opinion of himself as a player always amuses me. I did not see him when he was young (saw him from '93 on), but it seems to me that he would be a bench player if he played today (despite the ROY, GG, and All Star appearances).

All OG said was the trade was a "win". On that note, Krause traded a troubled Lamar Hoyt for a minor leaguer that went on to win the ROY, GG, appeared in a few ASG, tore up his knee, then worked his way back and was the SS and leader of a division champion in 1993. He went on to become the first manager to lead a White Sox team to a title in 88 years. There is no bigger face of the franchise than OG right now. I am not sure what Hoyt is up to these days, but I think that trade worked out in the White Sox's favor.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Krause always caught a bad rap with the Bulls and some accuse him of running Jordan out of town, but the guy did draft Pippen and Grant and both blossomed and for the 2nd 3 peat, knew he needed a rebounder and got Rodman and that experiment worked out great. He is a pretty damn good evaluator of talent. Hopefully he can help out in the Dominican, because that place has lots of great talent, would be nice to start developing some guys from there.

He traded for Pippen. And Krause made some very shrewd moves before and during the dynasty. But from '99-2003, he was as bad as any GM in recent memory.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
At first I thought it might be a front office spot, and was horrified that we'd lose Beckham and Peavy for Strasburg or something else.

But, a scout is fine.

I believe Krause actually came from the White Sox organization originally, so I think this could be a good move and a rather intriguing one since Krause will be I assume heavily involved in what is supposed to be an improved latin American scouting effort. I'd like to start seeing some domino's fall and come into our lower and upper levels of the minors (and eventually the majors) over the next couple years.

That said, we still aren't spending near enough on the latin players anyway (at leas not compared to the vast majority of the teams in the majors). Albeit, we have spent more than most every team on our Cubans :)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
I'm not sure about his baseball evaluation skills. I know his basketball eval skills are lacking though. He's a guy who drafted guys like Corey Benjamin and Stacey King's of the world over better talent that was available.

And yet, Scottie Pippen was just announced as a basketball HOF inductee.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
I'm not sure about his baseball evaluation skills. I know his basketball eval skills are lacking though. He's a guy who drafted guys like Corey Benjamin and Stacey King's of the world over better talent that was available.

I get the impression that we're not hiring him so much to evaluate the skills as to run an evaluative organization. Clearly, he knows how to do that, even if he's not sitting in the bleachers watching games.

Krause plucked Jordan and Pippen out of obscurity to form the first great Bulls triad with Jordan. He later traded for Cartwright over Jordan's objection which netted the Bulls another championship. Wasn't he also responsible for bringing Dennis Rodman in for the next series Bulls championships?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Wasn't he also responsible for bringing Dennis Rodman in for the next series Bulls championships?

Yes he was. The Bulls at that time were lacking a big rebounding threat. Krause saw that and got Dennis despite the "problems." Rodman's defense was just the extra bonus.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Krause plucked Jordan and Pippen out of obscurity to form the first great Bulls triad with Jordan. He later traded for Cartwright over Jordan's objection which netted the Bulls another championship. Wasn't he also responsible for bringing Dennis Rodman in for the next series Bulls championships?

Plucked Jordan? What's that supposed to mean? And nobody has never not given Jerry Krause the credit for the role he played in the dynasty. Problem with him was he was an ego maniac that didn't realize where his bread was buttered. He wanted to be looked at the way Red Auerbach was when the Celtics were blitzing the league way back when. That wasn't going to happen with MJ around. Fair or not. And he played just as much a role in the premature breakup of the dynasty and the historic rate of losing that followed. He brought in a joke of a coach in Tim Floyd. He dropped the ball during the summer of 2000 when all those elite free agents were on the market (but we got Ron Mercer!). He traded Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler. He drafted scrubs/busts like Marcus Fizer and Eddy Curry. He made the terrible trade for Jalen Rose. It just goes on and on.

If you want to give him credit for Pippen and Rodman, that's fine.

Jordan, he was the third pick in the draft (I think the now infamous Sam Bowie from UK went before him) and hardly a hidden gem at that point in his career at North Catholina.

Horace Grant was also a very well-known college player at Clemson...I guess he's also famous for the Toni Kukoc move, as much as any that he made.

Ozzie's opinion of himself as a player always amuses me. I did not see him when he was young (saw him from '93 on), but it seems to me that he would be a bench player if he played today (despite the ROY, GG, and All Star appearances).

I'm not an Ozzie is a baseball genius guy or anything like that, but when he played, Ozzie was a pretty fun guy to watch especially before he hurt his knee. He was great defensively and although he didn't hit with a particularly high average or get on base all that much, or have any power at all, he always seemed to get a hit at a big time. He'd be playing everyday today IMO . When he got hurt, it really sucked the life out of the team.

Interesting hire obviously.

Hard to know down the line whether it'll pay off, but you can't complain with what the Sox have done with the minor league system / drafting etc. over the past 2-3 years.

Krause had a few problems that ultimately led to his undoing with the Bulls. He definitely inherited Jordan, who was very critical of Krause. That was a huge shadow Krause always tried to get out from under with little success.

Krause was responsible for acquiring Pippen, Kukoc and Rodman. If I recall correctly, the draft day trade for Pippen was criticized by many due to Central Arkansas being something of a backwater school. Kukoc was a huge gamble coming from Croatia and the players openly criticized picking an untested player who would not be available for two years. Krause prided himself on such discoveries and thought he should be given a lot more credit after they panned out. The problem was he tended to overdo it. For every Kukoc there were a handful of Dragan Tarlacs and for every Pippen, there were the Brad Sellers type of selections.

Krause also had potential players undergo lengthy written tests that at times could be insulting. On that note, he was very hands on in contract negotiations and would try to play mind games with the players, insulting them and their abilities to try to get them to back off their demands. That is why Horace Grant despised him so much and lobbied to become a part of the Orlando Magic.

Jordan made fun of him incessantly, nicknaming him "crumbs" Krause due to his penchant for doughnuts. Phil Jackson hated him as well and started making new demands, including wanting control of personnel decisions. Krause took a hard stand and was prepared to replace him, ultimately with Tim Floyd. Jordan issued a very public threat saying he would not play for any other coach and went even further to suggest Krause should step down and go back to scouting baseball so Jackson could be coach/GM. Reinsdorf stood by Krause, causing Jackson to resign and Jordan to retire again.

Krause desperately wanted to win a championship without Jordan and Michael did everything he could to prevent that from happening, including disparaging Krause and the Bulls to free agents so that they would sign elsewhere. I am not blaming Jordan for Krause's failures. Krause made plenty of mistakes on his own and his reputation with the players was earned beyond Jordan's scorn. However, to blame Krause entirely for the Bulls atrocious record since 1998 would be unfair. It is impossible to build a good team around B grade free agents and rookies.

He was a pretty good evaluator of talent but a flawed individual that was not really good with people. This proved to be his undoing and the reason many think so poorly of him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Do we think Krause is actually gonna be doing any work? Or was this more of a hire a friend for a BS consulting job move??

he went on a scouting trip last week to look at players for the amateur draft

I saw all of Ozzie's career. Very good defensively but not Aparicio or Vizquell great. Left handed hitter who flew out to left field alot. Could handle the bat though and played the type of game he wants to manage. Definitely a starter in any era. An all star but not a hall of famer. Could run, bunt and ran the bases well. Scored alot of runs with out a lot of rbi. Fun to watch and always hustled. Did not make mant mistakes. Good range sure handed average arm.