Obama wears White Sox hat throwing out first pitch for the Nationals

Sox72

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
It's beating a dead horse, but I for the life of me can't figure out why Sox fans would boo Obama.

Maybe it's just one of those instant things that happen at a game. See the pic, somebody boos and everybody does.

The guy has pledged his Sox allegiance over and over and we boo him?? WTF.

I think it's one of the coolest things that's ever happened, that the president loves the Sox.

It's simple. Thousands of people in one place, shaken up with lots of booze, and now add any spector of politics = booing by default

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Well, booing is cowardly. I highly doubt a person would boo someone else upon meeting them, and yet people do it from the safety of anonymity all the time.

Secondly, the point about Obama being an extremely casual fan is a fair one. If we're going to celebrate him for being a fan of our favorite franchise, it is at least fair to discuss just how much of a fan he actually is. No, I don't think any of us are unhappy that he sports the logo and colors whenever he can. Yes, it was a bit lame that he couldn't name one stinking player.

I think it's pretty cool to have the White Sox being represented this way.

However, I disagree with ya on the booing as it is something you do from a distance to show your disapproval in one of the few ways. When you're in front of the person, then you can discuss the problems you have with them. Do you clap right in front of a person when you meet them? That would be the opposite reaction of booing and still wouldn't make any sense. That would crack me up if I saw someone do either of those things right in front of someone.

Weird that I have to go into this at all... just plain weird.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
My lord people. The President of the United States is a Sox fan, and chose to wear a Sox hat even though he was first-pitching for DC's team. Be happy and move on.

I'm almost sorry I posted it. It was just meant to point out how cool it is that he he loves to throw the White Sox hat into the scene every now and then.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I think it's pretty cool to have the White Sox being represented this way.

However, I disagree with ya on the booing as it is something you do from a distance to show your disapproval in one of the few ways. When you're in front of the person, then you can discuss the problems you have with them. Do you clap right in front of a person when you meet them? That would be the opposite reaction of booing and still wouldn't make any sense. That would crack me up if I saw someone do either of those things right in front of someone.

Weird that I have to go into this at all... just plain weird.

That is a fair point.

I do think people are prone to groupthink and acting in anonymity much differently than they would individually.

But you're right, I should have thought more before making that point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I really hate gotchya media these days. Like the President doesn't have enough on his mind, if he on the spot mispronounces something let's jump all over him.

GMAFB.

I agree, he is a meticulously prepared man who was caught unprepared, and it probably just freaked him out a bit.

Even still, I think his level of fandom is a reasonable topic of discussion.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
I really hate gotchya media these days. Like the President doesn't have enough on his mind, if he on the spot mispronounces something let's jump all over him.

GMAFB.

Except it really isn't a mispronounciation... That is how it gets said on the south side.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
Except it really isn't a mispronounciation... That is how it gets said on the south side.

indeed, a hard "n" that can also sound like a "t". My great unk used to work at the fire house near comiskey and that's all i heard them say. As a white bread suburbaner with no accent, i was confused.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
My lord people. The President of the United States is a Sox fan, and chose to wear a Sox hat even though he was first-pitching for DC's team. Be happy and move on.

Seriously. These stories, in my mind, are kind of fun (same as I thought when a poster - was it Alpha Dog? - posted the article about President Bush following Danks's stats)... and yet...

I read the Sun Times article. Dibble quizzed Obama about Sox players that played when he was growing up.

Obama said he didn't know Sox players when he grew up because he wasn't in Chicago, nor a Sox fan until later in life.

He knows, Buehrle, Danks, etc.

He just didn't know Sox guys from the mid-late 70s, and honestly, not many posters here would either.

I want to know why no one is asking the important question: Why didn't he come to Chicago to throw out the first pitch?! He is the President of the United States, I would think he has the pull to get that worked out.

QUOTE (Linnwood @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
I want to know why no one is asking the important question: Why didn't he come to Chicago to throw out the first pitch?! He is the President of the United States, I would think he has the pull to get that worked out.

because it was tradition to have the president to throw out the first pitch. Because its washington DC

QUOTE (Linnwood @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)

Because we already have the answer.

The President was celebrating the one hundreth anniversary of the first time that a US President threw out the first pitch of a game in Washington DC.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Because we already have the answer.

The President was celebrating the one hundreth anniversary of the first time that a US President threw out the first pitch of a game in Washington DC.

April 14, 1910 by William Howard Taft, our 26th president. It was in that same game that the 7th inning stretch originated when the portly Taft got up to stretch his cramped hocks. If the president gets up, everyone gets up and a tradition was born.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/7...g_stretch.shtml

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Eh, I really doubt he was. The only thing a kevlar vest is going to stop is a smaller handgun. A rifle will go through kevlar like butter, so will a lot of larger caliber guns that the type of person (asshat nutbar) willing to assassinate someone in public would probably use.

That's probably exactly what they would be worried about. I doubt they'd be so much worried about sniper rifles from the stands as they would be about a nutjob that manages to get close enough.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
That's probably exactly what they would be worried about. I doubt they'd be so much worried about sniper rifles from the stands as they would be about a nutjob that manages to get close enough.

It's probably a lot easier to get a handgun into a stadium and jump over the fence while shooting than it is to sneak a sniper rifle in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
It's probably a lot easier to get a handgun into a stadium and jump over the fence while shooting than it is to sneak a sniper rifle in.

:lolhitting this thread is funny

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)

"What? Oh, this? This is my, um, very large umbrella."

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
April 14, 1910 by William Howard Taft, our 26th president. It was in that same game that the 7th inning stretch originated when the portly Taft got up to stretch his cramped hocks. If the president gets up, everyone gets up and a tradition was born.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/7...g_stretch.shtml

After reading the entire article, I highly doubt that the Taft story is the true origin of the 7th inning stretch. The others are much more likely, though the Taft one is the most endearing.

Edited by Sox72