DePaul's New Head Coach

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Apparently they could've hired Tony Barbee from UTEP but they waited several days before bothering to call him, because they were busy calling the likes of Jamie Dixon and Mark Few...:)

I remember hearing that too. DePaul kept going after the big guns they had no chance with, and didn't even contact Barbee, who expressed lots of interest in the job. By the time they were done with their pointless courting of the big dogs, Barbee was already gone. He had the offer of millions from Auburn, and he just couldnt turn it down.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
What makes you think Hewitt would have taken the job? He turned down St Johns, which is basically the same exact situation as Depaul...

St. John's never offered him, as well as Hewitt might be more likely to leave now that Lawal/Favors are going pro....sadly, Hewitt thought both might return.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I remember hearing that too. DePaul kept going after the big guns they had no chance with, and didn't even contact Barbee, who expressed lots of interest in the job. By the time they were done with their pointless courting of the big dogs, Barbee was already gone. He had the offer of millions from Auburn, and he just couldnt turn it down.

Barbee with his WWW connections would have been an amazing recruiter at DePaul.

It is very hard to be a fan of DePaul basketball, I never went to the games as a student, 1 or 2 and this hire is giving me no reason to try and make a game this coming year.

Hope I'm wrong, this hire happened to quickly.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
What are the chances that ST Johns has a better record with Lavin than DePaul does with Prunell over the life of their contracts?

99%, but St. John's is a much better job and already in much better shape than DePaul is. Of course, the 1% chance is if Purnell continues to have the easiest non-conference schedule every single year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Dumbass DePaul.

Wake Forest just fired Dino Gaudio and he would've been a 20x better hire than Purnell.

You could certainly argue DePaul could have done better than Purnell, but Dino Gaudio looked like basketball's answer to Ron Zook during his time in Winston-Salem. I'd pass on him if I needed a coach.