Things seen/heard at Opening Day

NorthSideSox72

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread for people who went to Opening Day, to share with the SoxTalk crowd some of the sights and sounds that people who watched/heard it broadcast would have missed.

Here are a few to start with...

--The radar gun at the park was not working properly at the start of the game. MB's first fastball registered at 93 - which we all thought was strange. Then it got weirder, when another one hit... 107. After that, the radar wasn't showing at all anymore, then later in the game it came back on, and seemed back to normal.

--Not one of the four Blackhawks throw a pitch even vaguely near the strike zone. But they did get some real nice applause when they were announced.

--Saw KW and Big Frank having what looked like a very happy conversation, while getting ready to go on camera. Surprised to see that.

--They had a moment of silence reel on the scoreboard during the opening ceremonies, showing people who had died during the past offseason. A couple jackasses in our area decided this was their big chance, and start yelling and hollering during it. They eventually left the area, to the cheers of people nearby.

--Ballpark looked the same, didn't notice anything new. The Red Line CTA station now has TSA guards all over it, instead of just CPD officers.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
What's the new opener like that they play on the big screen before Thunderstuck? Did they use the same theme/song? Anyone have a link to a video of it?

They had the same type of video from previous years, maybe slightly different images used, but same music. Additionally, they had a reel before that for opening day, where they played really dramatic action usic and had a sort of lightning with heavy metal-like font themed thing, that was... kind of funny.

Security/ushers sucked. I went to the bathroom in the 300 section all day because they had one person for the fundamentals and the 300 gate.

Concourse was packed they need to find a way to fix this.

Place was only about half full for the first pitch if that. Not sure where everyone was at.

Good game

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread for people who went to Opening Day, to share with the SoxTalk crowd some of the sights and sounds that people who watched/heard it broadcast would have missed.

--The radar gun at the park was not working properly at the start of the game. MB's first fastball registered at 93 - which we all thought was strange. Then it got weirder, when another one hit... 107. After that, the radar wasn't showing at all anymore, then later in the game it came back on, and seemed back to normal.

--Not one of the four Blackhawks throw a pitch even vaguely near the strike zone. But they did get some real nice applause when they were announced.

--Saw KW and Big Frank having what looked like a very happy conversation, while getting ready to go on camera. Surprised to see that.

--They had a moment of silence reel on the scoreboard during the opening ceremonies, showing people who had died during the past offseason. A couple jackasses in our area decided this was their big chance, and start yelling and hollering during it. They eventually left the area, to the cheers of people nearby.

--Ballpark looked the same, didn't notice anything new. The Red Line CTA station now has TSA guards all over it, instead of just CPD officers.

The CSN gun seemed to be on. MB was around 85-87 on the fastball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)

Other than some new ads the park looked the same. There is a new asian food stand in left field. The silly between inning games were the same except for a new hawks zamboni race. Some new talent among the chevy girls.

And Mark Kotsay still can't hit.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
We were all laughing at the 107 mph pitch too.

When Westbrook was warming up there was one revved up around 241 MPH. I think it was a little off. Eventually they fixed it, but the 1st couple of innings were quite hilarious.

Also, I am not sure if this was only because it was Opening Day but at least on the lower concourse, a lot more little beer vendors with little movable beer stands. I think they had the Beer of the World in RF corner last year, but I noticed that. A lot more beer choices as well if you are willing to leave your seat. I saw Heineken stands, Heineken Light, MGD 64.

Edited by BFirebird

Anyone booing Teahen already needs to turn in their Sox Card. He's not a star player. He'll never be a star player. And they aren't asking him to be a star player. Just let him be the 8-hole, .270 hitter that he is with 15-20 homers and 60-75 RBI's, and be steady defensive player at 3B. That's what he is. And yes, he's going to strikeout over 100 times. Deal with it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Anyone booing Teahen already needs to turn in their Sox Card. He's not a star player. He'll never be a star player. And they aren't asking him to be a star player. Just let him be the 8-hole, .270 hitter that he is with 15-20 homers and 60-75 RBI's, and be steady defensive player at 3B. That's what he is. And yes, he's going to strikeout over 100 times. Deal with it.

Agreed. I didn't really hear anyone booing Teahen near my section. Kotsay could turn into another Mackowiak situation where a guy is just put in a situation to fail. Mack should have never been in CF, just like Kotsay should never bat 5th.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
How the hell do you boo a guy on the first day of the season?

This, especially Teahen who might as well be fan favorite thanks to his dog and twitter but more important, Andruw Jones coming off a great spring.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)

Last line of the article:

"And I doubt that he's a dad."

....he might be in 9 months, though....

BAM!!!!

:lolhitting

Seriously, though, that's really classless. What a nice memory for that fine, upstanding young couple - f***ing in a public men's restroom. Tell all your friends about it, you two - you should be very proud.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)

Wow....not what I expected when I came in to the "Things/seen heard at Opening Day" thread. Classy couple right there.

Anyway...

Beer is $7.00 bottle. $6.50 for 16oz draft and $7.50 for 20oz Lite. I don't remember there being a choice last year.

I think I hit had my BoDeans listening limit for the year.

It was pretty much a perfect opening day though.