Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
How much money do you want to bet that Iowa will not finish last? They have an improved coach, are a very young team, and seem to be keeping all of there recruiting class (which is though to be a top 35 or so class nationally). I'm not going to say they will win the big ten, but they should be much much improved and the cupboard finally isn't bare at Iowa.

Now things could change between now and than, but as of now, it sounds as if everyone is eager to stay and learn Fran's new system and Fran seems to be saying and doing all the right things so far at Iowa. The big question is going to be whether he can recruit the athletes necessary to run his high octane offense successfully in the big 10.

Larson has already asked for his release and I have heard rumors Fuller might be on the way out. Those are really big losses. But if Battle stays in the draft it won't matter because PSU will be by far the worst team in the conference and that is saying something with how bad Iowa and Michigan are likely to be.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
OSU also doesn't return the best player in the Big Ten, or any near McCamey's caliber really.. That may be the difference between the two teams.

Any near McCamey's caliber?

McCamey's soph stats

11.5 pts 2.6 rebs 4.6 assists

Junior

15.1 3.6 7.1

Willaim Buford soph

14.4 5.6 3.1

Junior?

Most likely an improvement, especially taking away all of Turner's possessions.

And the overall talent is much better at OSU, with Buford, Lighty and Diebler returning and the best recruiting class.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
Any near McCamey's caliber?

McCamey's soph stats

11.5 pts 2.6 rebs 4.6 assists

Junior

15.1 3.6 7.1

Willaim Buford soph

14.4 5.6 3.1

Junior?

Most likely an improvement, especially taking away all of Turner's possessions.

And the overall talent is much better at OSU, with Buford, Lighty and Diebler returning and the best recruiting class.

I think anyone who watched the Big Ten will say that McCamey is the best player and it's not much a discussion. The only ones who could be in any argument would be someone on Purdue.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I think anyone who watched the Big Ten will say that McCamey is the best player and it's not much a discussion. The only ones who could be in any argument would be someone on Purdue.

So ignore any actual statistical proof basically?

You said no one in his league, clearly you werent accurate with that statement. If you think you were, please let us know what league McCamey is in.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Quote myself here, cause I just talked to my buddy at the athletics office. It's a done deal that they're transferring. Unf***in real.

Brian, you asked me what the bigger news is, I can just say it's about to get much, much worse. We're done, the end.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
So ignore any actual statistical proof basically?

You said no one in his league, clearly you werent accurate with that statement. If you think you were, please let us know what league McCamey is in.

???

I'm not sure what you mean. McCamey was clearly better no matter what measure you use.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
???

I'm not sure what you mean. McCamey was clearly better no matter what measure you use.

Yeah he was better, but I want you to explain this "other league" that he is in compared to anyone on OSU. Based on actual statistics they are very close players already, so I'm not sure what makes McCamey a player on a whole different level besides the fact he plays for ILL.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Based on actual statistics they are very close players already

No, they aren't. McCamey was 2nd in the country in assists with a terrific a/to ratio. Buford wasn't nearly as dynamic, hence why he sat on the Big Ten's 3rd team while McCamey was on the 1st, finishing with the 2nd most votes. You could argue other players, but certainly not Buford.

Since 2006, when mac was hired (so starting with 2006-2007 season)

Of the 73 BCS conference teams,

54 teams have made the NCAA tournament at least once.

Another 14 have at least made the NIT in that time.

Of the 5 remaining schools, 1 went to the CBI in that time

Of the 4 remaining schools, 3 of those went to the NCAA or NIT in 2006. (i separate this out because not making it in 2006 wasnt mac's fault)

The one remaining school that has not had any postseason since 2005? Iowa State.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
How much money do you want to bet that Iowa will not finish last? They have an improved coach, are a very young team, and seem to be keeping all of there recruiting class (which is though to be a top 35 or so class nationally). I'm not going to say they will win the big ten, but they should be much much improved and the cupboard finally isn't bare at Iowa.

Now things could change between now and than, but as of now, it sounds as if everyone is eager to stay and learn Fran's new system and Fran seems to be saying and doing all the right things so far at Iowa. The big question is going to be whether he can recruit the athletes necessary to run his high octane offense successfully in the big 10.

Well, Iowa took a bit of a hit today:

Cody Larson Might Be Gone

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Resorting to that only proves the point, your opinion is about as valuable as "ZOMG".

Zoom, one can only hope NU puts it together this year, I think they dont "surprise" teams this year, I think that they flat out run the table on some of the teams in the conference. They are a matchup nightmare. And I still think Wisconsin is up there for the B10, they have arguably one of the best coaches in the country and some real valuable pieces coming back. I dont view Bohannon as much of a loss, the kid disappears for long periods of time.

GMAFB. I explained why I think Illinois should be better than last year. I clearly stated it was all about them reaching their potential. Is it really that much of a stretch to say that Illinois at its peak isn't capable of being in the top 3 of the big ten? You're insane. The top 3-4 teams in the league aren't that far apart.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
No, they aren't. McCamey was 2nd in the country in assists with a terrific a/to ratio. Buford wasn't nearly as dynamic, hence why he sat on the Big Ten's 3rd team while McCamey was on the 1st, finishing with the 2nd most votes. You could argue other players, but certainly not Buford.

Argue other players on OSU? I dont get your point. Your original statement was that OSU doesnt have anyone in the same league at McCamey which is why Illinois will be a better team next season, I am still trying to figure out where his league starts and how far someone like Buford who is already out pacing McCamey's numbers as their careers develop has to go to get in that league.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
GMAFB. I explained why I think Illinois should be better than last year. I clearly stated it was all about them reaching their potential. Is it really that much of a stretch to say that Illinois at its peak isn't capable of being in the top 3 of the big ten? You're insane. The top 3-4 teams in the league aren't that far apart.

And if all of the teams in the conference play to their potential, I dont see Illinois being better than OSU and Wisconsin. I also dont think they underperformed this season like most of Ill fans do, I think they ended up about right where they belonged with their talent level.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Larson has already asked for his release and I have heard rumors Fuller might be on the way out. Those are really big losses. But if Battle stays in the draft it won't matter because PSU will be by far the worst team in the conference and that is saying something with how bad Iowa and Michigan are likely to be.

Ya, for a while it sounded like they were all going to stay and now it sounds like some guys have re-opened there committments and losing Fuller will be huge.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Wow, thats a big loss.

Yep, he was looking like he was going to be a darn good player. Right now everyone in Iowa is pretty optimistic that the recruits who re-opened will still stay at Iowa, but than again, a week to week and a half ago, it looked as if everyone was going to stick around and play for coach Fran.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
Well, I guess that point could be moot with McCamey declaring.

I still expect him to comeback and this really isn't that unexpected. Basically all JRs who have NBA aspirations should declare. He doesn't have a chance of being a first round pick so unless he wants to be the next Marcus Taylor he should come back.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
And if all of the teams in the conference play to their potential, I dont see Illinois being better than OSU and Wisconsin. I also dont think they underperformed this season like most of Ill fans do, I think they ended up about right where they belonged with their talent level.

Illinois definitely underperformed this year. The problem is, there is no reason to believe they won't do it again next year. They've underperformed drastically 2 of the last 3 years now.