Indians not expected to lock up Choo

I believe there has also been some rumors that Choo might just not ever go back to Korea (and who could blame him). While I think it is a sticking point that would prevent him from entering a contract and I'm sure it is something that will weigh on his mind, he does have options and I would surprised to see him actually serve in the military.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
I believe there has also been some rumors that Choo might just not ever go back to Korea (and who could blame him). While I think it is a sticking point that would prevent him from entering a contract and I'm sure it is something that will weigh on his mind, he does have options and I would surprised to see him actually serve in the military.

I wonder whether the government would actually be willing to enforce that as well. Does the government not also gain some benefit by having Korean players earn fame playing in the world's best baseball league, even if it is overseas? And anyway...if they offered a single deferment for a guy playing in MLB...it's not like there's a lot of MLB players in the world where they'd have to worry about this becoming a major way to get out of military service.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
I wonder whether the government would actually be willing to enforce that as well. Does the government not also gain some benefit by having Korean players earn fame playing in the world's best baseball league, even if it is overseas? And anyway...if they offered a single deferment for a guy playing in MLB...it's not like there's a lot of MLB players in the world where they'd have to worry about this becoming a major way to get out of military service.

As of now everything I've read on the subject indicated that the government said they would enforce the policy unless they won the gold in the WBC. That probably won't happen, but I think Choo would have a good point about how his success would promote Korea far more than him leaving the majors and serving in the military. That said if the Korea government handed out exceptions to a major leaguer, than if I were an actor I'd make the same case and all of a sudden they'd have all kinds of people asking for exceptions to the rule.

I think you're underestimating the national responsibilities and how serious they are to most Koreans...

It's not like the Cubans, sure he could possibly "defect," but I think he would rather try to work out something with his government first. I think the idea of the WBC or Olympic gold is a serious goal for the country, to beat the Japanese, that's the most important thing.

In the end, I think it's better for the Korean government if he can serve as an ambassador and continue to play in the US. Choo has been the first position player to have this type of an impact.