GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My boy Floyd out there to pitch in the rubber game!!!

And this might be a crazy thought, but if I were the Sox, I'd look hard into finding an upper echelon defensive catcher who could START. When you build a team around pitching, it also means you need to have a strong defense and our run-game defense is the worse in baseball (well outside of Boston). That would be a little more acceptable if we had a team that planned on scoring a s***-ton of runs, but when you built your team to win 3-2 games, you can't afford to be handing over 2nd to anyone that gets on 1st.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)

And this might be a crazy thought, but if I were the Sox, I'd look hard into finding an upper echelon defensive catcher who could START. When you build a team around pitching, it also means you need to have a strong defense and our run-game defense is the worse in baseball (well outside of Boston). That would be a little more acceptable if we had a team that planned on scoring a s***-ton of runs, but when you built your team to win 3-2 games, you can't afford to be handing over 2nd to anyone that gets on 1st.

There is already an upper echelon defensive catcher on the team - problem is, he can't hit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
There is already an upper echelon defensive catcher on the team - problem is, he can't hit.

I assume you are referring to Castro? He seems solid but I don't know if he calls a great game and is a true complete catcher. And you are right, he can't hit. Or are you talking about your boy Lucy?

One can only hope Jones is playing tonight in place of Kotsay. I'm a fan of Kotsay...off the bench. Watching the game last night angered me, seeing him hit in the 5th spot.

Peavy didn't have his best stuff last night, but giving up three runs is not atrocious. The offense needs to step it up now.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
I'm not saying AJ has a rocket for an arm, but many of the pitchers give him zero chance

Floyd and Garcia will get ran on and it isn't on AJ. But Peavy, Danks, and Buehrle should all do enough to make it at least difficult. And once Hudson replaces Garcia we'd only have Floyd who is a tad bit slow to the mound.

Of course Jenks is completely useless at slowing down the oppositions ground game.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Peavy didn't have his best stuff last night, but giving up three runs is not atrocious. The offense needs to step it up now.

Getting nothing done against their mediocre bullpen was very disconcerting.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
Getting nothing done against their mediocre bullpen was very disconcerting.

Letting Teahen face Laffey was disconcerting with a running on 1st in a 1 run game. I was screaming at my TV to make a move to Jones (if you wanted to swing away) or to simply put in Omar Vizquel to bunt and move AJ over.

Teahen went on to get ahead in the count, 2-0, and than hit into a double play. Ozzie really disspaointed me becuase this wasn't the only time that I was yelling at my TV for Ozzie to do something, but he didn't. It is early in the seaosn, now is the time to be overly agressive to set the tone to your entire club and Ozzie wasn't. It is probably the only thing that really bugged me about last night's game (outside of the fact that we blew a 3-0 lead with Peavy on the mound...which should amost never happen).

I also was bummed that our pen blew a game that was tied (that happened so f***ing much last year).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
How about some Andruw Jones? The guy is growing algae on his body by sitting in the cold, damp dugout.

IF this is a straight platoon we won't be seeing Jones till the opening game of the Twins series against Liriano.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)

An upper echelon catcher would not have thrown out Choo in either of his stolen base attempts in the 9th.

I don't care who's catching, runners are going to steal off our pitchers unless THEY do something to hold the runners on.

QUOTE (striker @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
An upper echelon catcher would not have thrown out Choo in either of his stolen base attempts in the 9th.

I don't care who's catching, runners are going to steal off our pitchers unless THEY do something to hold the runners on.

Nevermind, I read your later post.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Sat through both games. Sunburn Monday, frost bite last night.

8 hits through 2 games.......

I think we will see Jones as Kotsay is not adding anything.

I felt that the chiliness last night helped sooth by sunburn!

QUOTE (striker @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Nevermind, I read your later post.

Yep. And I actually think Phil Rogers (whose been brutal lately) brough up a very good point as to why the hell have the Sox not worked on some of these guys to make it better.

I also have a radical opinion that the Sox should use Jenks as a starter. He f***s around way too much in the pen and I think it is because he loves showing off all of his plus pitches. He threw a couple nasty change-ups last night, he has a good fastball that he can get to run, and we all know about his nasty curve.

At this point, I think he actually has the make-up to be a real freaking good starter. It'll never happen, but I'd support the move.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
I also have a radical opinion that the Sox should use Jenks as a starter. He f***s around way too much in the pen and I think it is because he loves showing off all of his plus pitches. He threw a couple nasty change-ups last night, he has a good fastball that he can get to run, and we all know about his nasty curve.

yeah i know remember when it was just the good ol' heat noone could touch him then. Now he seems to be throwing alot of off speed stuff and last night he just couldn't hit his spot