GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Yep. And I actually think Phil Rogers (whose been brutal lately) brough up a very good point as to why the hell have the Sox not worked on some of these guys to make it better.

I also have a radical opinion that the Sox should use Jenks as a starter. He f***s around way too much in the pen and I think it is because he loves showing off all of his plus pitches. He threw a couple nasty change-ups last night, he has a good fastball that he can get to run, and we all know about his nasty curve.

At this point, I think he actually has the make-up to be a real freaking good starter. It'll never happen, but I'd support the move.

Bad relievers often don't make good starters.

Jenks lack of velocity on his fastball has hurt his curve as well. Since he can no longer throw a high fastball past hitters, he no longer has the hook as a weapon. It's well beyond the time when we should have gotten rid of him. Who didn't know he would allow a run in the 9th last night? BTW, Matt Thornton is amazing!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
I also was bummed that our pen blew a game that was tied (that happened so f***ing much last year).

Eh, Tony Pena got beat by a good pitch that was blooped in for a rbi, I wouldn't look too much into that.

As far as Jenks, the wildness is obviously a bit concerning but it's not like he was getting hammered out there and lets wait until he gets into a save situation before we decide that he's done as a closer. He's never been good in non save situations and that's something you think Ozzie would have realized by now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Jenks lack of velocity on his fastball has hurt his curve as well. Since he can no longer throw a high fastball past hitters, he no longer has the hook as a weapon. It's well beyond the time when we should have gotten rid of him. Who didn't know he would allow a run in the 9th last night? BTW, Matt Thornton is amazing!

For real. I'm quite disappointed that we sat on him for so long.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Eh, Tony Pena got beat by a good pitch that was blooped in for a rbi, I wouldn't look too much into that.

As far as Jenks, the wildness is obviously a bit concerning but it's not like he was getting hammered out there and lets wait until he gets into a save situation before we decide that he's done as a closer. He's never been good in non save situations and that's something you think Ozzie would have realized by now.

Oooh, in no means was I saying Pena made a bad pitch. Most all of the Tribe hits last night were on good pitches or were bloops. But they were still hits and I remember all last season I'd watch a close game go by the way side as the pen folded (the actual result).

I think we have a solid pen and I'm not about to say oh god, here we go again. I'm just saying it quickly made me remember last season and how bad our pen was.

In terms of Jenks, I think he'll be fine as a closer, I just think his mentality right now isn't that of a closer. He wants to flash all of his pitches and that is great if he's got a full game to work his pitches and get a feel for all of his stuff, but he's a closer, he's got 1 inning and he should be firing his best stuff all of the time.

It's crazy how things can change between 2 games, I was at the game last night and while I was upset with Peavy after coming home I realized we will not win any game with 2 hits. With that said my main mayne G is on the mound tonight. Let's win the series!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Oooh, in no means was I saying Pena made a bad pitch. Most all of the Tribe hits last night were on good pitches or were bloops. But they were still hits and I remember all last season I'd watch a close game go by the way side as the pen folded (the actual result).

I think we have a solid pen and I'm not about to say oh god, here we go again. I'm just saying it quickly made me remember last season and how bad our pen was.

In terms of Jenks, I think he'll be fine as a closer, I just think his mentality right now isn't that of a closer. He wants to flash all of his pitches and that is great if he's got a full game to work his pitches and get a feel for all of his stuff, but he's a closer, he's got 1 inning and he should be firing his best stuff all of the time.

Not sure why Putz did not come in the game.

Jenks gave up a run on a swinging bunt and two walks. He also had two K's.

Peavy was brutal last night as there was no flow to the game while he was out there. The hitting though in the end cost them the game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
I assume you are referring to Castro? He seems solid but I don't know if he calls a great game and is a true complete catcher. And you are right, he can't hit.

But he called Buehrle's Perfecto last year, didn't he? I thought his defense was above average. I think I remember him gunning somebody at second base last year right after we traded for him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Kinda odd that the first start Jones gets is against a guy with a semi side winding motion. That being said, I'm happy he's in there and I'm interested to see how his swing looks.

Agreed, he would have matched up better against Carmona. Masterson's pretty deadly on righties, IIRC.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Jones is the beter Cfer, imo.

I doubt it at this stage of his career.

Also, Rios is locked up with a large, long-term contract. He's the Sox' centerfielder of today and tomorrow. Jones, if he has a "comeback" year and proves to be an above average CFer again will be gone after this season. Boras will see to that. Why move Rios, your long term player around to accomodate a one year rental who may or may not be as good defensively as the excellent defensive CFer Rios?

Let Jones move around from LF to RF to CF depending on who is being rested and leave Rios settled as your starting CFer.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I doubt it at this stage of his career.

Also, Rios is locked up with a large, long-term contract. He's the Sox' centerfielder of today and tomorrow. Jones, if he has a "comeback" year and proves to be an above average CFer again will be gone after this season. Boras will see to that. Why move Rios, your long term player around to accomodate a one year rental who may or may not be as good defensively as the excellent defensive CFer Rios?

Let Jones move around from LF to RF to CF depending on who is being rested and leave Rios settled as your starting CFer.

Very well written.

I don't think you want to mess with Rios, who is your 'franchise' staring CF and so far has done a tremendous job out there.

Jones is your 4th OF and when you DH Pierre you simply replace him with Jones in LF.